Here's a slideshow I slapped together for noobs to overclocking. These are the CPU OC settings I use for normal everyday use. Temps stay well controlled and performance is very good.

hey mr fox and john glad to see you two here as well. also sorry for bringing up such an old thread but i would like to push my cpu over 4.8 and test towards the 5.0 if possible. i recently just got my hand on the triple pipe heatsink for R2, dont know if it'll fit in R1 though.

what is XTU, a software for CPU oc'ing? if someone would kindly do the steps by step, and also provide the voltage for a possible stable temp/without BSOD would be great. thank you!

The 3-pipe M18x R2 heat sink fits perfectly in the M18x R1. That's what I am using.

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU) 2.1 is the version that partially works with the M18x R1. It's primary advantage is setting multipliers higher than what the BIOS allows. You will still need to adjust RAM, voltage (flex) and amps (pri plane) in the system BIOS. XTU will cause your custom memory settings to reset to defaults, so you will need to re-adjust that. Stay out of the first performance menu in BIOS or your multipliers set with XTU will lose their settings. See the video I posted above for BIOS navigation.

The 3-pipe M18x R2 heat sink fits perfectly in the M18x R1. That's what I am using.

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU) 2.1 is the version that partially works with the M18x R1. It's primary advantage is setting multipliers higher than what the BIOS allows. You will still need to adjust RAM, voltage (flex) and amps (pri plane) in the system BIOS. XTU will cause your custom memory settings to reset to defaults, so you will need to re-adjust that. Stay out of the first performance menu in BIOS or your multipliers set with XTU will lose their settings. See the video I posted above for BIOS navigation.

thanks i'll give that a try. glad to know the heatsink fits lol or else i wasted my money =DD

• 4 weeks later...

[MENTION=119]Mr. Fox[/MENTION] thank you for contributing your video. I thought it was extremely well done and it should help plenty of people set up quickly. Nice job and thanks again.

Thanks... my pleasure. Glad to see you on the forums again, bro. I wondered where you had disappeared to.

Its nice to be thought of ;) I am glad to be back. I had suffered some hardships but I am back and back for good :) You'll be seeing plenty more of me from this point on. Glad your still an active member of Tech Inferno Mr.Fox

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

mr fox, i tried your settings on the A04 unlocked bios, everything seems to stick except for the long duration PWR limit under performance options menu and Advanced CPU control. After each reboot, it reverts back to 0, seems the highest number that will stick is 80, any suggestions?

I have the 2960xm on A04 unlocked bios. Much Thanks in advance

mr fox, i tried your settings on the A04 unlocked bios, everything seems to stick except for the long duration PWR limit under performance options menu and Advanced CPU control. After each reboot, it reverts back to 0, seems the highest number that will stick is 80, any suggestions?

I have the 2960xm on A04 unlocked bios. Much Thanks in advance

why not try A05?

@Volkly Do not reenter the menu with the cpu multipliers after setting long watt limit in Advanced Cpu menu. When you do it resets to 80. Besides that if you have not entered that menu after setting it as mentioned... Ignore the value of 0 as in our bios 0 is equivalent to the value default. so if it was set and runs the value you had set and runs that while in windows, use throttle stop to quickly check long and short watt limit... Than its working to what you had set.

Make sure when your setting the watt limit in Advanced cpu menu that it basically is the last thing your setting in the bios then hit F10 and save and reboot and check windows or check advanced menu but dont enter the menu with cpu multipliers before checking advanced menu or it will say 80 or 0 for long watt limit.

The 0 thing can apply as follows. Bios editing and flashing a modified bios the value can show zero but actually reflect what has been programmed, this is why its possible to flash values over 99watts and multipliers over 45x other than of course disabling MSR lock or using Intel XTU to set over 45x multipliers. Most people dont modify now since the bios is unlocked and the menus provided give enough play with the proper apps installed... throttle stop, Intel xtu etc. Other than that the plain unlocked bios function 0 for any of the values does in fact mean the default value is used. So in your example it does sound like how you had set it that 0 there meant 55watts if your on XM.

I would try A05 as it it the actual latest even though if your on Nvidia vs AMD discrete cards the bios description for A05 seemed to be a fix for AMD cards specific...the EC fan control was updated amongst more and A04 the minimum for systems with 580m. A03 brought support for the other cpus that came out as an intermediary. So I agree with the above recommendation to try A05 first since it has the latest bios fixes for our systems.

If you still are having those issues after trying it all like that or if you have already tried all that... report back and Id be glad to investigate further with you.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

• Thumbs Up 2

Much appreciation for your post mw86, it was quite helpful. I was skeptical to flash A05 as A04 has worked for me thus far without any LPC latency issues. The bios settings does seem to stick when i view it on HWinfo64, but it seems each time i shutdown my m18, HWinfo64 would show it as 0. Seems as long as i don't shutdown my notebook, the settings will stay. I have tried A05 Bios as per your recommendation and noticing the same thing. System Specs: 2960xm, 580m SLi, Also another question, if I wanted to set all my cores to 4.0ghz or 4.2ghz instead of 4.4ghz as per Mr. Foxs setting as my ambient temps is really hot in Phoenix Arizona, would just changing the core clocks to 4.2 and flex to 0 while keeping everything the same setting be a good choice. I only OC for benchmarks and when i game, I usually have it set to OC stage 1 or just default because of the high ambient temps

Much appreciation for your post mw86, it was quite helpful. I was skeptical to flash A05 as A04 has worked for me thus far without any LPC latency issues. The bios settings does seem to stick when i view it on HWinfo64, but it seems each time i shutdown my m18, HWinfo64 would show it as 0. Seems as long as i don't shutdown my notebook, the settings will stay. I have tried A05 Bios as per your recommendation and noticing the same thing. System Specs: 2960xm, 580m SLi, Also another question, if I wanted to set all my cores to 4.0ghz or 4.2ghz instead of 4.4ghz as per Mr. Foxs setting as my ambient temps is really hot in Phoenix Arizona, would just changing the core clocks to 4.2 and flex to 0 while keeping everything the same setting be a good choice. I only OC for benchmarks and when i game, I usually have it set to OC stage 1 or just default because of the high ambient temps

Strange you still get the 0 there but perhaps it still is the same watt limit you set but says 0. Yes 42x all cores at 0 flex is probably just fine. You could also try 44/44/43/43 or 44/43/42/42 or lower if heat really has been problem. BF3 and such games i have mine completely stock not even profile one and i have gotten into 85-90c so if you find temps still high try any where from 3.4 stock to 3.8 on 4cores. 42-38 is possible but if you play heavily multithreaded games i would be more conservative on the 4core multiplier. Can you post a pic in your free time of the 0 im HWiNFO so i can see whats displayed. Id like try to recreate whats happening on mine. Thanks :)

@mw86, I think the issue is the mobo itself as it has died on me monday. Computer won't turn on anymore. Dell is having me send it in to their service center and no matter how much i plead bargain, Dell won't send out a tech with a new motherboard. Anyway around it as I have full warranty and next business tech service. I heard so many horror stories about sending it to the depot and coming back in worst condition. I have recieved the box and ups label from dell. Do you think that might be a reason as why the settings are not sticking.

Strange you still get the 0 there but perhaps it still is the same watt limit you set but says 0. Yes 42x all cores at 0 flex is probably just fine. You could also try 44/44/43/43 or 44/43/42/42 or lower if heat really has been problem. BF3 and such games i have mine completely stock not even profile one and i have gotten into 85-90c so if you find temps still high try any where from 3.4 stock to 3.8 on 4cores. 42-38 is possible but if you play heavily multithreaded games i would be more conservative on the 4core multiplier. Can you post a pic in your free time of the 0 im HWiNFO so i can see whats displayed. Id like try to recreate whats happening on mine. Thanks :) Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

@mw86, I think the issue is the mobo itself as it has died on me monday. Computer won't turn on anymore. Dell is having me send it in to their service center and no matter how much i plead bargain, Dell won't send out a tech with a new motherboard. Anyway around it as I have full warranty and next business tech service. I heard so many horror stories about sending it to the depot and coming back in worst condition. I have recieved the box and ups label from dell. Do you think that might be a reason as why the settings are not sticking.

Yeah that sounds about right. Im sorry it died on you bro. Yeah i have a refurb motherboard replacement too. No way around that. I hope its fully working after this though.

Also i forgot to mention the reason may be which warranty you have. If its original that came with it and not one you bought its limited and may not include nbd repair or in home repair at all for that matter. But if you bought that warranty it should inlude next buisness day in home repair or parts dispatch.... in this case it would always be by a tech not the part itself since its a motherboard. I hope it comes back from depot okay. Look it over careful, test all functions, ports, battery, play game and surf if anything is abnormal call back asap. Leave everything stock until you have tested it thoroughly. Once your sure stock is working 100% then think about loading the unlocked bios. I just hope it works the right way.

Edit: if you get to the point you want to set the cpu beyond completely stock let me know but to keep temps low at first stick to stock turbo multipliers. 34-34-36-37 4-3-2-1cores for 2960xm.

cant find where to load the default setting in bios ... all i have is in the exit menu it said load optimal defaults (load setup default) is that what i need to run after installing the unlocked bios?

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

maybe it the F9 (setup defaults) option at the bottom of the page?

dont want to screw this up please help me

F9 is the correct button. In bios press F9 hit yes then hit F10 so save the settings press yes and it exits bios after saving upon reboot renter bios and all settings should still be now at defaults.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to you,

I'm a Swiss member, and lucky owner of a M18x

I ask you the possibility to download the unlock A05 bios M18x

Thank you for your help.

I must say that I often read this forum, and you give guides are exceptional,

Thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...