http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m14x-aw-14/1330-bios-reset-recovery-possible.html

@Brian was so gracious to post this back in 2011 which serves for M18xR1 generation instructions for blind flash recovery. Use the stock bios from the M18xR1 instead though ;)

I would gather all these ahead of time on a usb prepared and @svl7 has the best advice always in the world to set boot device priority to usb first then your drives before proceeding with the flash in case you need the usb method it boots automatically off usb without seeing anything on screen. I never had issues flashing in ll time I had on my M18xR1 but you never know. Best keep all hardware stock then restore overclocks if any afterwards. Cheers Ill keep an eye out if you have any further questions. Been awhile was a refresher for me lol. On Alien 18 and Eurocom Panther 5 currently :) cheers happy flashing. ~Marc

*added link almost forgot lol :)

thank you so much sir.. your the first person who answered precise and detail^_^.. ill be flashing my bios after i gather all drivers i need for windows 8.1.. im having hard time to look for it.. because alienware/dell dont have update driver for m18x r1 windows 8.1.... im still downloading my drivers from driverscape though i know their drivers are kinda out of date.. do you have other source where can i download m18x r1 windows 8.1 driver sir..?

thank you so much sir.. your the first person who answered precise and detail^_^.. ill be flashing my bios after i gather all drivers i need for windows 8.1.. im having hard time to look for it.. because alienware/dell dont have update driver for m18x r1 windows 8.1.... im still downloading my drivers from driverscape though i know their drivers are kinda out of date.. do you have other source where can i download m18x r1 windows 8.1 driver sir..?

You are very welcome :) I don't have those type of drivers but if you load the basic drivers/software from Win 7/8 like the alien osd from the driver disk and Dell/Alienware website and such it should all work okay and instead of win 7/8 intel drivers for example just get the latestdrivers from their website for the hardware like the win 8.1 driver for your model of intel hd graphics and the latest amd or nvidia gpu drivers from their respective websites, this way all is using the most up to date versions of software. Just look at what drivers get installed from your driver disk and for the non software parts look for updated versions on the company websites. Intel(igpu,wifi,ethernet,XTU,RST driver etc) Realtek(audio),AMD,Nvidia for example

Hope that helps :)

You are very welcome :) I don't have those type of drivers but if you load the basic drivers/software from Win 7/8 like the alien osd from the driver disk and Dell/Alienware website and such it should all work okay and instead of win 7/8 intel drivers for example just get the latestdrivers from their website for the hardware like the win 8.1 driver for your model of intel hd graphics and the latest amd or nvidia gpu drivers from their respective websites, this way all is using the most up to date versions of software. Just look at what drivers get installed from your driver disk and for the non software parts look for updated versions on the company websites. Intel(igpu,wifi,ethernet,XTU,RST driver etc) Realtek(audio),AMD,Nvidia for example

thank you so much again sir..^_^.. ill inform you what will happen and and review about my updates..XD.. thanks again sir.. ill be sleeping for know . it is already 12:49 am or 0049h midnight in our place and its been 3 days i havent enoght sleep due to this update preparation ... once agian sir.. thanks for help and support.. cheers and goodnight...^_^

sir.. i need your help.. i had just flash my bios .. what i did was i extract the rar files and put in the desktop folder.. i click the insydeflashx64... and continue flashing with battery, and power adapter plugged in.. my problem is , it seems it is just the same.. the intel hd graphics card still wasnt shown on device manager( (i did include the image below). i continuously clicking f2 key but i can even enter the bios, no alienware logo appear , just some text and booting of windows comes next and desktop.. what should i do sir..? thanks and hoping for your answer again.. ^_^post-32059-14495000554269_thumb.png

sir.. i need your help.. i had just flash my bios .. what i did was i extract the rar files and put in the desktop folder.. i click the insydeflashx64... and continue flashing with battery, and power adapter plugged in.. my problem is , it seems it is just the same.. the intel hd graphics card still wasnt shown on device manager( (i did include the image below). i continuously clicking f2 key but i can even enter the bios, no alienware logo appear , just some text and booting of windows comes next and desktop.. what should i do sir..? thanks and hoping for your answer again.. ^_^[ATTACH=CONFIG]15587[/ATTACH]

what does the text say at boot. Does it respond to F12 i think that is for showing boot menu. It may need to restore bios with the usb method outlined as a backup earlier. [MENTION=119]Mr. Fox[/MENTION] any advice for the Pixma21's system if you can assist?

what does the text say at boot. Does it respond to F12 i think that is for showing boot menu. It may need to restore bios with the usb method outlined as a backup earlier. @Mr. Fox any advice for the Pixma21's system if you can assist?

i thing is for raid configuration sir... intel rapid technology and followed by distorted like this post-32059-1449500055502_thumb.jpg .... there is no alienware logo .. but i can still proceed to my windows 7 desktop,, my game crashes at first time while running about 3mins and stuck on white screen display, thats why i decided to force shutdown it by hiting power button .. so i restarted and run the game for almost 4mins no crash.. i still dont know if it would occur again in the future.. i did forgot to mention, my brother accidentally flash this incorrectly but the laptop still function , and an hour ago i did tried the a05 modded bios, and still no change, ive been thinking to reflash it with stock a05 bios ... and soon flash it with modded bios.. will it work best sir..?

i thing is for raid configuration sir... intel rapid technology and followed by distorted like this [ATTACH=CONFIG]15588[/ATTACH] .... there is no alienware logo .. but i can still proceed to my windows 7 desktop,, my game crashes at first time while running about 3mins and stuck on white screen display, thats why i decided to force shutdown it by hiting power button .. so i restarted and run the game for almost 4mins no crash.. i still dont know if it would occur again in the future.. i did forgot to mention, my brother accidentally flash this incorrectly but the laptop still function , and an hour ago i did tried the a05 modded bios, and still no change, ive been thinking to reflash it with stock a05 bios ... and soon flash it with modded bios.. will it work best sir..?

yes please flash stock A05 now and please let me know how it goes. if it worka go into bios reset bios defaults to start off.

yes please flash stock A05 now and please let me know how it goes. if it worka go into bios reset bios defaults to start off.

do you have safe bios a05 link for m18x r1 sir..? kinda dont trust other site...

sir.. problem still persist .. i notice.. on booting , and pressing f2 button continuously, suppose it should display the bios but rather it display like this post-32059-14495000555159_thumb.jpg ,, ? ive been thinking that something on my board is damage.? can it be just the bios .? can it be recover.? because i can still boot to windows, the only problem im facing is the bios ...?-_-...

sir.. problem still persist .. i notice.. on booting , and pressing f2 button continuously, suppose it should display the bios but rather it display like this [ATTACH=CONFIG]15589[/ATTACH] ,, ? ive been thinking that something on my board is damage.? can it be just the bios .? can it be recover.? because i can still boot to windows, the only problem im facing is the bios ...?-_-...

I had an issue like this once. It can be solved with a flash.

try stock a05 bios first.

dell.com > support > search by model >Laptop > M18x R1 > find bios driver download there

if that doesnt work follow the blind usb bios recovery as you dont need a boot menu or bios working to get the button combo to flash the bios off the usb drivem it should fix it i had an issue like that few year ago. even though you see the screen the usb blimd bios recovery would fix it.

dell.com > support > search by model >Laptop > M18x R1 > find bios driver download there

if that doesnt work follow the blind usb bios recovery as you dont need a boot menu or bios working to get the button combo to flash the bios off the usb drivem it should fix it i had an issue like that few year ago. even though you see the screen the usb blimd bios recovery would fix it.

i did recently did the blind bios recovery.. follow the instruction posted by sir brian.. my m18x beep for almost 30seconds and reboot twice.. but still problem persist.. ill the stock bios from dell.. i hope i will soon fix.. if it will not then ill will perhaps proceed to windows 8.1 pro installation ..^_^ thanks for support .. godbless me in my dilemma ..XD

problem still at large sir.. -_- kinda having out of luck in this situation .. but ill inform you as soon ill will find solution and fix this problem..^_^.. thanks again sir..^_^.

sir.. i did think something ... does vbios and bios are connected..? i remember we flash my 7970m with 8970m vbios thats why it became 8970m.. would it be hinder the bios ..?? ive been thinking reflash my 7970m with its stock vbios if it does really hinder..? it might be a wise and wild guess i think.?

sir.. i did think something ... does vbios and bios are connected..? i remember we flash my 7970m with 8970m vbios thats why it became 8970m.. would it be hinder the bios ..?? ive been thinking reflash my 7970m with its stock vbios if it does really hinder..? it might be a wise and wild guess i think.?

I apologize for late reply, I was reply asap before but was at work on mobile with only Edge network (2g) so I couldn't get a reply to post. If you tried stock bios, and usb bios recovery indeed the bios must be fine and all that seems the matter is that vbios. I would most certainly recommend getting the dell stock vbios for that 7970m and reflashing your cards. fingers crossed is very likely the cause as the vbios does indeed effect a lot of the way the bios and gpu interact so could be why the bios graphics and text to open it dont show up since your cards got accidentally flashed from 7970 to 8970m. Sorry for misdirecting you before but I do agree this seems to be the issue you are facing currently. Woth the right vbios in it should boot right, i think is why I rembered having this issue as i had 7970m and had flashed various vbios at different points. cheers and goodluck, i hope you get it buddy.

I apologize for late reply, I was reply asap before but was at work on mobile with only Edge network (2g) so I couldn't get a reply to post. If you tried stock bios, and usb bios recovery indeed the bios must be fine and all that seems the matter is that vbios. I would most certainly recommend getting the dell stock vbios for that 7970m and reflashing your cards. fingers crossed is very likely the cause as the vbios does indeed effect a lot of the way the bios and gpu interact so could be why the bios graphics and text to open it dont show up since your cards got accidentally flashed from 7970 to 8970m. Sorry for misdirecting you before but I do agree this seems to be the issue you are facing currently. Woth the right vbios in it should boot right, i think is why I rembered having this issue as i had 7970m and had flashed various vbios at different points. cheers and goodluck, i hope you get it buddy.

wahaha..XD... we got same slow internet .... sir, will sir svl7 modded 7970m vbios will also let me to enter the bios ..? or only the dell stock 7970m will let me and fix the problem..XD ive thinking to reflash once if sir svl7 7970m modded vbios will let me to enter the bios..XD...

wahaha..XD... we got same slow internet .... sir, will sir svl7 modded 7970m vbios will also let me to enter the bios ..? or only the dell stock 7970m will let me and fix the problem..XD ive thinking to reflash once if sir svl7 7970m modded vbios will let me to enter the bios..XD...

I would flash the stock vbios first see what happens then try for modded...

svl7's would let you enter the bios just as the stock would on a normal running system. To figure out the issue stock vbios is better choice then can use modded when all is running like it should again... :)

I would flash the stock vbios first see what happens then try for modded...

svl7's would let you enter the bios just as the stock would on a normal running system. To figure out the issue stock vbios is better choice then can use modded when all is running like it should again... :)

but sir.. how can i know i downloaded the right vbios for my 7970m..?

i did saw some from this link Video Bios Collection | techPowerUp..

but sir.. how can i know i downloaded the right vbios for my 7970m..?

i did saw some from this link Video Bios Collection | techPowerUp..

this is the one here yeah

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/132831/dell-hd7970m-2048-120629.html

as long as you are sure it is a 7970m installed :)

Hope it gets sorted and I provided a link to the one you need Pixma21 in my post above :)
sir i got the stock vbios .. well another problem came in.. how can i set to boot my flashdrive with stockrom, that i cant enter and set it into the bios ..? any idea sir..?
  • Thumbs Up 1

sir i got the stock vbios .. well another problem came in.. how can i set to boot my flashdrive with stockrom, that i cant enter and set it into the bios ..? any idea sir..?

read your post thinking and on way to work. try remove hard drive and see if you can then boot off the usb drive to flash it. since the OS would not be detected should automatically look for an alternate boot drive. Make sure the usb was made as a win 98 bootable dos partition with the amd required files.

read your post thinking and on way to work. try remove hard drive and see if you can then boot off the usb drive to flash it. since the OS would not be detected should automatically look for an alternate boot drive. Make sure the usb was made as a win 98 bootable dos partition with the amd required files.

aye sir.. i did follow the instruction i got from this page http://forum.techinferno.com/amd-video-cards/1738-%5Bguide%5D-amd-vbios-flashing.html#post21467 by sir svl7.. and now im trying to remove the hdd . and hope it will work.. ill report back after sir. thanks ..

sir .. im done.. halfway.. im kinda confuse ... im done entering the commands 1.atiflash -s 0 vbios.rom 2.)atiflash -cf vbios.rom 3.)atiflash -p 0 vbios.rom----one after anotherafter that says "flash already programmed".. do i need to shut it down.. because svl7 said restrat if prompted/ or it said it need to restart .. im well confuse.. i did another problem,, i did alo=so lost the lockpin from hdd ribbon cable...-_- i can put it agian.. but main to solveis the bios.. my m18x is still on standby, and waiting for your advice....

aye sir.. i did follow the instruction i got from this page http://forum.techinferno.com/amd-video-cards/1738-%5Bguide%5D-amd-vbios-flashing.html#post21467 by sir svl7.. and now im trying to remove the hdd . and hope it will work.. ill report back after sir. thanks ..

great if am slow to reply its my net..