video card not reconized in device manager

fldanger

I have a 2011 alienware m17xr3 originally with a gtx 560m.I changed graphic card to gtx 880m. I have a unlocked bios version 12. I already shut off the audio, changed sg, to peg setting and disabled the internal video card. I have tried to install a gtx 880m mod driver but because the device manager doesn't reconized video card it keeps telling me that no hardware installed. What are my options to fix issue.

So if you have disabled the Intel graphics, i guess that's what you mean by internal video card what is coming up in the device manager? Does it just say generic display adapter or something? I have a 880m in my AW17r1 and am using old as 327.23 driver with

a modified .inf file to get the device manager to recognize the card. Is that what you mean mod driver?

Also when you get it going is your cooling going to be up to the task? you are going from 75w to 122w TDP my AW17 is having a hell of a time trying to keep the 880m cool. Im going to have to modify the GPU fan I think.

• 4 weeks later...

I just upgraded my m17r3 from the ATI 6870m to the GTX780m and the GTX780m does not show in device manager just integrated graphics. You need the modified .inf for it to recognize that the card is installed. I fought with this for days then realized I missed the modified .inf part. Once I added the modded .inf it loaded no problem and is running fine.

• 2 months later...