Jump to content
MrSweet1991

Anyone else waiting for their LCD to brick after Win 10?

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

I need to make 5 posts before I can download the goodies from SVL7, so rather than reply non sense to other threads I thought this may be a good way to see if there's anyone in my situation. I'm sure some of you have come across

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-10-nvidia-whql-drivers-are-killing-alienware-and-clevo-lcd-panels.779449/page-203#post-10098762

and if you haven't I hope you have an AMD card which seems to be one that doesn't have the problems.

But anyway.. I purchased my Alienware M18X R2 with some sweet ass 780's in SLI, 3940XM and it was there.. lighting up all over the place on the table and I was getting all excited, Windows 10 installed in around 6 minutes with an 850 EVO SSD, done all the Windows updates and then I typed into Google "M18x windows 10 Nvidia drivers" and there it was.. around three titles down the above link.. Windows 10 and Nvidia killing Alienware and clevo panels. Within a short space of time what did look like a beast now looked like something on borrowed time.. it's three days in and it's still working but then again I'm not the only one to last this long.. some have had their LCD's work for over 2 months so I'm anxiously waiting until the time comes when I either get back and my laptop has shut itself off (which some users said happened) or I restart and get the dreaded 8 beeps signifying the LCD problem which has now been identified as the EDID of the LCD being corrupt.

So yeah.. I can dwell but I figure i spent over 1k on on it I may as well have some fun on it while it still lives, so I'll be downloading the VBIOS for the 780's and have a game on GTA V for the time I can :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.... im guessing its gone. Rip LCD you were so beautiful and crisp. burned out before your time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is this still a thing? i've skipped 8 totally and on the side lines about win10, not sure if its worth the update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i had a same problem. i just full disassemble my m18x and then assemble it :) and it work now 

try 

p.s. sry for my english

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2016 at 9:10 PM, vorontut said:

i had a same problem. i just full disassemble my m18x and then assemble it :) and it work now 

try 

p.s. sry for my english

what did your alienware do? just no display or was it 8 beeps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2015 at 2:08 PM, archdevel said:

is the version 353.06 right? couldnt setup the driver. the driver says couldnt find any fit devices on my laptop.

firmware version is 84.04.2F.00.7A(downloaded from prema mod. stock gtx 970m vbios. anyway gpuz says memory capacity is 3gb. but I bought 6gb. something is wrong)

here is my gtx 970 hardware id.

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D8&SUBSYS_05501028&REV_A1

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D8&SUBSYS_05501028

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D8&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D8&CC_0300

 

On 9/26/2015 at 10:07 AM, MrSweet1991 said:

Hi All,

I need to make 5 posts before I can download the goodies from SVL7, so rather than reply non sense to other threads I thought this may be a good way to see if there's anyone in my situation. I'm sure some of you have come across

 

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-10-nvidia-whql-drivers-are-killing-alienware-and-clevo-lcd-panels.779449/page-203#post-10098762

and if you haven't I hope you have an AMD card which seems to be one that doesn't have the problems.

But anyway.. I purchased my Alienware M18X R2 with some sweet ass 780's in SLI, 3940XM and it was there.. lighting up all over the place on the table and I was getting all excited, Windows 10 installed in around 6 minutes with an 850 EVO SSD, done all the Windows updates and then I typed into Google "M18x windows 10 Nvidia drivers" and there it was.. around three titles down the above link.. Windows 10 and Nvidia killing Alienware and clevo panels. Within a short space of time what did look like a beast now looked like something on borrowed time.. it's three days in and it's still working but then again I'm not the only one to last this long.. some have had their LCD's work for over 2 months so I'm anxiously waiting until the time comes when I either get back and my laptop has shut itself off (which some users said happened) or I restart and get the dreaded 8 beeps signifying the LCD problem which has now been identified as the EDID of the LCD being corrupt.

So yeah.. I can dwell but I figure i spent over 1k on on it I may as well have some fun on it while it still lives, so I'll be downloading the VBIOS for the 780's and have a game on GTA V for the time I can :)

hahahahhahah, were on the same boat, 

i actually had a similar incident my self with my 17 r5, or 17 r2, dont know what they are being called now a days. 

 

this was my post on NBR, didnt get all the answers so i devided to post here, what the hell right, 

though i have been following notebookreview for years now, 
so i have been using my alienware 17 R5 780m 120hz 3d with windows 10 (uefi mode) since its initial beta release, and never had a problem,

after the official release of windows 10, i went back to windows 8.1, updated all my drivers and went back to windows 10. 

once again, didn't experience any problems, how ever couple of weeks back, i woke up to find my computer keyboard lights on and a black screen, (i always sleep with the computer on)

so i just held down the power button till it powered down, and restarted, it gave me 8 beeps, after a quick google search i found out its GPU related, 

and since i did a GPU repaste not long before this, i figured i screwed something up there, 

now, since i have a 120hz 3d screen, i cant use optimus, 

so i decided to put my original 60hz screen back, and to no surprise my computer booted up without a problem, so i decided to put the gpu back, first thing i did after reinstalling my gpu, i went into bios, (i am running a14 the lastest one) and i saw that it showed me that the discrete gpu was detected, but after entering windows, under device manager there was a not working properly icon was there, but it did show the 780m, so i just uninstalled all the driver simple with add program and features, rebooted into bios again, and suddenly no discrete graphics are detected, i was shocked again, how ever when i booted into windows my gpu was there, so i went back into bios but this time my gpu was there, but the screen was showing vertical lines and it was all blurry and distorted, so i just repasted my gpu, and resit it in the slot. booted back into bios, problem solved, went into windows, installed the drivers no problems, after a week or so i installed my 120hz 3d screen back. and never had a problem again. 

so can someone please tell me if the issue i had was just a coincidence or is it related to windows 10.

that being said, i want to add that i never had precision X on my pc,

and now ive moved on to bigger better things, i have a m18x r2, which btw at one point accidentally auto updated to 10, i freaked out and restored it back to 8.1 asap. been running like a dream since. and i have absolutely no need for an upgrade till something really amazing comes up. 

so far the new laptops really havent gotten my attention, except for a select few like the eurocom x9 sky, with desktop grade cpus and the 980, but for now i dont have the finances not the need to upgrade, i will be using and absuing this baby till its last breath. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

th

On 1/14/2016 at 1:09 PM, urmother93 said:

 

hahahahhahah, were on the same boat, 

i actually had a similar incident my self with my 17 r5, or 17 r2, dont know what they are being called now a days. 

 

this was my post on NBR, didnt get all the answers so i devided to post here, what the hell right, 

though i have been following notebookreview for years now, 
so i have been using my alienware 17 R5 780m 120hz 3d with windows 10 (uefi mode) since its initial beta release, and never had a problem,

after the official release of windows 10, i went back to windows 8.1, updated all my drivers and went back to windows 10. 

once again, didn't experience any problems, how ever couple of weeks back, i woke up to find my computer keyboard lights on and a black screen, (i always sleep with the computer on)

so i just held down the power button till it powered down, and restarted, it gave me 8 beeps, after a quick google search i found out its GPU related, 

and since i did a GPU repaste not long before this, i figured i screwed something up there, 

now, since i have a 120hz 3d screen, i cant use optimus, 

so i decided to put my original 60hz screen back, and to no surprise my computer booted up without a problem, so i decided to put the gpu back, first thing i did after reinstalling my gpu, i went into bios, (i am running a14 the lastest one) and i saw that it showed me that the discrete gpu was detected, but after entering windows, under device manager there was a not working properly icon was there, but it did show the 780m, so i just uninstalled all the driver simple with add program and features, rebooted into bios again, and suddenly no discrete graphics are detected, i was shocked again, how ever when i booted into windows my gpu was there, so i went back into bios but this time my gpu was there, but the screen was showing vertical lines and it was all blurry and distorted, so i just repasted my gpu, and resit it in the slot. booted back into bios, problem solved, went into windows, installed the drivers no problems, after a week or so i installed my 120hz 3d screen back. and never had a problem again. 

so can someone please tell me if the issue i had was just a coincidence or is it related to windows 10.

that being said, i want to add that i never had precision X on my pc,

and now ive moved on to bigger better things, i have a m18x r2, which btw at one point accidentally auto updated to 10, i freaked out and restored it back to 8.1 asap. been running like a dream since. and i have absolutely no need for an upgrade till something really amazing comes up. 

so far the new laptops really havent gotten my attention, except for a select few like the eurocom x9 sky, with desktop grade cpus and the 980, but for now i dont have the finances not the need to upgrade, i will be using and absuing this baby till its last breath. 

 

I have had so many issues with dual 580m's in my R1, If you are having any boot issue I always recommend a gpu reseat before giving up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, soFluxed said:

th

I have had so many issues with dual 580m's in my R1, If you are having any boot issue I always recommend a gpu reseat before giving up.

i did that, it that didnt fix the problem, however; a repaste did the job, dont know why, since the previous paste was applied perfectly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, 

 

Never knew anyone actually replied to this thread, in respects to your vertical lines and what not I very doubt that is related to EDID and I'll explain why. Something has allowed access to the EDID of our LCD's, now some software definitely EVGA seems to trigger the EDID corruption (very likely this was unintentional) and what happens is the a number of the EDID gets changed, when you turn your computer on the BIOS can't read the EDID of you're LCD so tells you with a horrible 8 beeps. So as you can see, if your EDID is affected it's not something that you will gradually see, it will, quite literally just not work upon powering the Alienware.

Now some of the other posters have assumed my M18X has died, i sh*t you not I had the terminator because that thing is still running! I don't have it anymore I had to sell it for personal reasons but the M18X is with someone else and he's happily using it so there seems to be a direct correlation.. I never used (except had windows 10) any software that seems to be related to EDID corruption triggering. Avoid EVGA and any other mentioned software and you should still have a laptop like my m18x that's going strong! 

Edited by MrSweet1991

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I installed Win10 about a week ago and no problems so far. I am on drivers 364.72 and have 0 problems. No throttling and so far my LCD is safe.

 

M18r2 with dual 980m

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys out of curiosity, has Microsoft updated Win10 to prevent the screen and GPU bricking? I want to jump to 10 but can't risk my PC going to crap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2016 at 5:02 AM, captain008 said:

Hi guys out of curiosity, has Microsoft updated Win10 to prevent the screen and GPU bricking? I want to jump to 10 but can't risk my PC going to crap.

fix, i highly doubt it; however i am running windows 10 for well over 3 months now, i have a m18x r2 with a 970m setup, 
i use nvidia inspector with overclocking, 

hwmonitor for fan control and outer temp management, 

and msi after burner for in app monitoring

so yes you're completely safe as long as you stay away from precisionX.

 

cheers

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks urmother93, I plan on installing it this weekend while its still free then ghosting it to an image. With all the bad posts about 10, being hesitant is an understatement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had windows 10 running for about a 2 weeks before switching back to windows 7 (windows 10 benchmark scores where about 1k less.) even after disabling everything I could. running the 368.xx drivers. with no problems, playing Fallout 4 in SLI on 980m's. seemed okay. I think what ever was causing the issues is gone now. (silently of course, I mean why would they admit to it, then they would have to pay for the damages). Just to be clear I am using Prema's V2 vBIOS and Swicks a11 unlocked BIOS for the M18X R2 and I was running windows 10 in legacy mode. <-- Not sure if that matters. 

 

Also if you have some driver issues. (I dont' remember exactly which ones I used) but SOME of the windows 10 drivers for the AW18 work on the M18X R2. just a helpfull hint.

 

Still advise to stay away from evga precision. nVidia Inspector is good to go, also try out Prema's vBIOS to OC your GFX card :)

Edited by kkthebeast
Update information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My alienware m17xr4 3d had the same problem as yours but on windows 8 what worked was changing the action of closing the lid to sleep then closing the lid after startup and pressing enter numerous times for the screen to respond. Might be a problem with the 3d screens with newer drivers by nvidia. Or  maybe it was the paste or it might actually be the new os. Dod the revert to 7 change that problem??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i've been on windows 10 since it came out and it's defs getting annoying, every few month i get the annoying 8 beeps and repasting/reseating my gpu does the trick for that, the fact that i know the drill on what to do for that is annoying as it is, and the lack of any form of addressing it from alienware and nvidia is even more so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mine just bricked a couple of days ago, right after i switched to integrated to get driver installed under windows 10.......

 

Just to Drop a Quick Hint. if you get the 8 beep tune of death, follow the listed instructions posted in many threads to reset and enter uefi pre sale rom, but before you power up after cmos battery removal and discharge(holding power button for 30 plus seconds), plug a hdmi cable into the in port and other end in the out port of your lap top, follow rest of instructions. i believe this issue is more related to a throw switch in the circuit, or maybe a gate holding a charge effectively blocking it.

 

think about all the solutions posted, and how many different ways we have found to get them back. one major thing i think everyone keeps missing, if software is cleared, its gone. heard there was one guy re-flashing screens, etc etc. doesn't add up. if half of us have different solution to same experienced problem, well , then our solution is effecting something else not seen or observed. 

 

any way hope it helps some one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By Klem
      In this thread you can post your requests for Lenovo ThinkPad T450s.
      If someone wants upgrade Wi-Fi card and remove whitelist, or unlock hidden additional menus and settings in bios setup menu, or already upgraded Display and after that can't adjust screen brightness, then you can post your request in this thread.
      Important!
      For creating bios backup and to flash bios mod, you must use any SPI programmer  (like CH341A programmer) and a SOIC8/SOP8 test clip!
       
      Just dump your Bios using any SPI programmer  (like CH341A programmer) and a SOIC8/SOP8 test clip, then post it in this thread or upload it to any fileserver and send me the link.
       
       

      CH341A programmer:
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Programmer-CH341A-Series-Burner-Chip-24-EEPROM-BIOS-Writer-25-SPI-Flash-AU/153117073868?epid=577511738&hash=item23a67d21cc:g:XKEAAOSw5UdbW-iL
       
      https://www.amazon.com/Parts-tower-CH341A-Programmer-Software/dp/B01FVVHCVC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1522179315&sr=8-4&keywords=ch341a&dpID=51BO7eGgO5L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
       
      SOIC8/SOP8 test clip:
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Soic8-Sop8-Flash-Chip-Ic-Test-Clips-Socket-Adpter-Bios-24-25-93-Programmer/201414947737?hash=item2ee5443399:g:up8AAOSw1Fda8qkt
       
      https://www.amazon.ca/MAUSAN-Socket-Adapter-150MIL-205MIL/dp/B06ZYSNJF3/ref=pd_sbs_21_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XM79QJWGED6B4K2VEZDJ
       
      How to use it:
       
      Also, you can search on YouTube a lot of guide for CH341a.
       
    • By GrisGris
      For when that rubber coating on your laptop phase shifts to fly paper...
       
      Here is what I did,
       
      Disassemble M18x:
      Well documented by debaucher:
      The palm rest section was the biggest offender for me;

      >I used a plastic spoon and nail polish remover to remove the rubber coating:
      >Obviously remove as many of the various utility boards as possible.
      >I left the touch pad in place because this model used thermally fused plastic rivet like pieces to hold the light pipes in place and I found it easier to mask it off.
      >"FrogTape Delicate Surface" worked very well for masking off various surfaces

      >I used Krylon Plastic Paint as a base coat and 'Jet Black metal flake Automotive Paint;

      >With the paint still setting up I dusted various glow powders over the substrate and dusted some additional black paint to achieve some depth to the effect .
      >I after the automotive paint set up I use mate clear coat the overcoat the entire surface. I personally believe glossy clear coat would not look as good. 
      >Adjust as needed and re-assemble.

      >I Used a USB LED clamp light available ebay/amazon $10 to illuminate
       
      Hope you enjoyed the first post...
      .
    • By p1npo1nt
      I'm going to be upgrading my Alienware M18x R1 with a GTX770m I purchased from ebay; 770m has a Dell P/N: HW6C9 for reference. I have a couple questions about performing this upgrade:

      -Is the /unlocked/ version A05 bios necessary? I am receiving 8 beeps on startup with the dell factory A05 bios installed w/ the 770m
      -Is a vBIOS flash required for basic functionality and driver installs? 
      -If so, is there a link to a compatible vBIOS for this card, finally, a guide for installing the new vbios?

      Any help is vastly appreciated, I've done some homework but I am new to upgrading MXM modules on laptops. 
    • By Tristan0123
      So I have an old Alienware m18x R1 that I upgraded this past Sept. It shipped with nvidia 460m in sli and I ended up putting in a single 780m  I ended up getting everything swapped out and up and running after reading alot of post on this forum . Most of the old games I regularly play ran smooth enough but everything newer seemed to have a have a hard time running smoothly. first i though it was overheating but no temps are normal. Then I noticed that my gpu is throttling. At this point I had some new drivers, that I found ran pretty stable. Came across this thread 
        So I did as instructed and wiped the newer drivers in safe mode and loaded out some old ones suggest in the linked thread above.
      My problem currently is that throttling is still taking place. I am pretty sure I know what I need to do. When I upgraded the hardware I had trouble finding an unlocked bios for my m18x r1. I know there is a TechInferno link to download one but my account does not let me.  So I found a A05 version that was not unlocked but was still able to support the new card.  So I am attempting to find a unlocked version of the A05 driver so I can attempt to follow the instructions here http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-m18x-r2-with-980m-possible-throttling-fix.791358/  and change some of the setting in the bios.  I have a feeling this may work but I am currently stuck as I am apparently not able to download anything from this site. 
       
      I am far from an expert on such so if anyone out there reads this let me know if you can help a fellow out or maybe point me in the right direction. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
    • By zaxx7
      This is my first post and I'd appreciate any help you guys can offer. 
       
      I've been using my AW M18x r1 since I bought it new. 
       
      Basics:
      I7 2760qm sandybridge
      Bios A5
      16 gb ram
      Radeon 6990m 2gb 
       
      I used to run 2 6990m's, but the primary died 3 yrs ago and I replaced it with the secondary card. Been working great until this week. 
       
      I'm using hwinfo64 for fan monitoring. 
       
      I started having lock-ups to black screen, grey screen or black with white vertical lines. I noticed my shader temp on my GPU was running out of control whenever I start  game or even run a video. The other temps seem to be in the normal range. The shader will jump from 39 C to 70 C almost immediately and then upwards from there. Over 100 C when I 1st caught it. I assume it's thermal shutdown. 
       
      I'm using the legacy driver for my card 15.7.1. 
       
      I'm willing to buy a new card, I'm looking at a 780m, but I want to figure out if it's just an issue with the card. 
       
      Any suggestions on testing for other issues? Why would it be the shader only, or is that just an issue with Hwinfo64? 
       
      Thanks in advance. 
       
       
×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.