• Founder

I am tempted to build a new desktop instead of buying a new laptop this time. I was wondering though if I should wait for the X79 chipset combined with an Intel i7 3960X (LGA2011) or if I should use the current Z68 (LGA1155) combined with a 2600K until Ivy Bridge is out (since they gonna be compatible)?

What do you think?

p.s I don't mind waiting even until March/April 2012 for the new graphics cards (either way laptops won't have any significant improvement till then either)

I'm tempted with a desktop build as well, especially since a friend of mine just ordered parts for an uber-monster system, lol.... you'll see :D

If you say you don't mind waiting for the new GPUs, then I'd say wait, but set a deadline for ordering, else you'll be tempted to wait again etc., the tech world is moving too fast.

Performance wise there'll definitely be a step up with the new components, but with the hardware available at the moment you can already easily build a very powerful machine which won't have any issues playing the latest games on highest settings, and most components go for very good value since they're already on the market for a while.

A little "problem" with the currently available hardware is, that it already got benched by thousands of people, so there isn't as much fun as with brand new, just released hardware, hahahaha :D

• Founder

Exactly, I would rather spend money on something new and worth waiting

Phase 1

It will have dual GPUs so I estimate 1K euros

extreme CPU so another 1K euros (120 euros extra for temporary water cooling, ie Corsair H120) - unless I go with Ivy bridge (like it is now with 990X vs 2600K)

mobo at about 300+ euros

RAM for another 250+ euros

1200W PSU for another ~300 euros

I won't buy a case, instead I plan to build it on a Lian Li T60 test bench so add another 100+ euros

Phase 2

full custom water cooling (amount of money unknown)

(if only I could pay in dollars instead of euros...:upset:)

• Thumbs Up 2

Sounds like an awesome plan to me!! Hey, this test bench looks fantastic!!! Now I'm even more tempted to build a desktop, hahaha, perfect for benching! And you could easily build a plexiglass box with some vents around it to keep the dust out as long as you aren't benching.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Hey stam, how are the import taxes in Greece? You might want to consider bying the parts in US and shipping them to you. When dealing with high end components you can save quite a few $$ that way. Unless the import taxes are high..

• Founder

it is 23% taxes +expensive shipping + other fees + no 100% sure warranty will cover me and in case of RMA I will have to send it back and I am also not sure if the customs will realize that it is an RMAed product and won't charge me twice...

The only solution I see is for me to visit US and have them pre-ordered so I can bring them back with me (imagine a hand-bag with 2x GTX 580, motherboard, etc...) LOL

• Founder

Nevertheless, neither the CPU, 3960X (LGA2011 socket) nor a motherboard based on the X79 chipset are available yet and they are expected during Q1 2012. Ivy Bridge is expected Q2 2012 but will be compatible with the existing LGA1155 and motherboards based on the Z68 chipset.

Both are not benched, but, if I go with the existing chipset I can upgrade the CPU from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge later on without any further changes, while if I choose the SB-E and the LGA2011 I can't upgrade to Ivy Bridge (or at least until IB-E).

That's why it is so hard to decide, plus I am not sure if the performance of 3960X vs Ivy Bridge (a model equivalent to the SB 2600K) will be similar to 990X vs 2600K that we see nowadays...

The 3960x has been rumoured to be 40% faster than a 990x, If that is the case I would guess Ivy bridge won't be able to compete. I'm planning on going to X79 soon after release also unless I hear more info in the near future.

• Founder

The other good question is about the GPUs. Will they be released Q1 2012 (at least the AMD ones)? What would be worse is to wait for all those months and fianlly spend 1K for a previous generation hardware and a month after the purchase the new ones to show up...