Updated SSD Discussion

redgreenjr

I see the last post for SSDs, at least 2.5", is from 2014, and there are some new products on the market, or at least new prices.

So my question is, regarding specific performance on the y510p with SLI, Is the Samsung 850 EVO just as good as the 850 Pro or is the Pro really worth the extra hundred bucks? What makes the Pro cost so much more?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

I have been swaying back and forth over which one to get, and now I am back to PRO. It may not fit the best performance/price ratio but it does perform better, especially from some of the reviews I have read, it performs better in critical areas like 60mb/s faster in sustained data transfer as tested by Cnet, thats combined read/write operating as the OS drive as well.

I think looking at the price ratios will lead you away from the obviously superior drive. Its only $60 more than the EVO and I can justify that by skipping two pizzas and a bottle of whiskey.

Hello, I cannot recommend any Samsung ssd drives since I have had two cases where ssd has died and has to be replaced. In warranty of course. But the percentage of hdd failure seems big because I have 100 machines to support ( with about 20 with ssd drives) and the only ones with samsung ssd:s have failed.

We've seen a large number of Samsung SSD's from the 830's, 840 EVO/PRO and the 850EVO/PRO drive and they've been solid.

The only thing I suggest is that you use the supplied software to set the over-provisioning space to at least 5% no matter which drive you use, and it's going to give solid performance at a really great price point.

If you can afford the bit extra for a PRO, grab one, otherwise the EVO's are great (got an 840 EVO at 10% OP in both of my laptops)

Pekux, what is your recommendation for the best SSD?

Almecho, Ive always heard to use the supplied software, to transfer with the magician, and so on. But I would really like to do a clean install if win7, just swap in the blank drive and boot from an install disc I have. Can I set up the over-provisioning and turbo-boost options once I have it up and running?