Help with P170EM/NP9170 beeping and restart! Any ideas?

GunnerKes

Basically I bought this laptop about a year and a half ago and it was already running prema mod bios. Im currently on windows 10... Everything was fine and the laptop has never had any dramas until now.

So, a few days ago I was playing Rocket League on the laptop and all of a sudden my laptop started beeping for about 2 seconds beep, 1 second off and repeated. At the same time, all the 3 lock LEDS flash in time with the beep...This also coincides with the max fans kicking in - it is pretty loud obviously. I initially thought it was a overheating problem with the GPU or CPU and seeing as I never applied thermal paste, I did so... My max temps after giving the laptop a good clean and reapplying thermal paste are : GPU - 77 degrees and CPUs - 72 - IN GAME before the loudest fans kick in.

To test, I boot into CS GO and start playing, all my temps are fine but then as soon as the max fans kick in, the beeps start, with the leds and if I carry on as normal, the laptop will restart automatically.

Anyone have any ideas as what to try next? I've updated drivers etc.

- Check the FAN connections

- Reflash BIOS & EC

Thanks for the quick reply... I am generally a noob when it comes to flashing the BIOS. All the fan connections are good though. Where would be the best place to start with tutorials? I need to read up in depth... Is this a good place to start?

- http://forum.techinferno.com/clevo/3119-%5Bbios-vbios-mods%5D-prema-mod-stock.html

Ill watch the vids etc and thanks for all your hard work! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Still no luck, I've checked all fan connections. All good. I'm also having probs updating to the latest bios...No matter what I do, it won't boot from the USB stick to update :/ spent a few hrs trying and also watched the included vids...I extracted all the files correctly. Disabled uefi and anti theft mode but I still can't update. Any ideas prema?

Still no luck, I've checked all fan connections. All good. I'm also having probs updating to the latest bios...No matter what I do, it won't boot from the USB stick to update :/ spent a few hrs trying and also watched the included vids...I extracted all the files correctly. Disabled uefi and anti theft mode but I still can't update. Any ideas prema?

Disable Win8 and UEFI mode in BIOS, only after that you can boot from USB.

Disable Win8 and UEFI mode in BIOS, only after that you can boot from USB.

Sorry if I'm coming across as a bit of a tit but what do you mean by disabling win8? I've disabled uefi and anti theft mode in the bios... I'm also running Windows 10. Cheers in advance for your help.

Sorry if I'm coming across as a bit of a tit but what do you mean by disabling win8? I've disabled uefi and anti theft mode in the bios... I'm also running Windows 10. Cheers in advance for your help.

[OS] selection in BIOS, right where the UEFI setting is. If UEFI is off you can boot from USB by pressing F7 and select the drive you created with Rufus.

[OS] selection in BIOS, right where the UEFI setting is. If UEFI is off you can boot from USB by pressing F7 and select the drive you created with Rufus.

Cheers for your help, gonna have a crack at it tomorrow night and see how I get on :)

UPDATE - Now works fine! Somehow my previous BIOS got corrupted or something and the GPU temp wasn't getting communicated correctly which resulted in the beeps and shutdown. Updated to latest BIOS and all seems good now :) Thanks Prema, awesome work and cheers for helping me out. Donation inbound!

Swap the gpu and cpu fan. Won't fit, but all you want is to swap their connectors. Sounds like the gpu fan can't deliver the necessary rpms requested by the EC. Mmh ... you could also aim a hair-dryer at the gpu fan to boost it a bit, see if that clears the problem. Or better; a vacuum cleaner, except at a different angle, obviously.

Hello, I have the same problem with my P170em, beeping and blinking LEDs, because of high GPU temperature (~80°C).

But in my case the GPU fan is very often directly not starting (checked it with HWInfo).

My system is still running with the Stock Bios17 and EC12.

I’m not sure if the Prema Mod could solve my problem, maybe if i force the fans to run with FN+1.

Can you check your rpms if you get this emergency alarm.

- MRAlien

@michalsk11: Thanks for your video, it's says to me that a forced start of the fans could not solve my problem.

From my point of view your temperatures ~64°C are ok, with and without the forced fans.

It's could be that you see the cpu and not the gpu temperature, but i don't know your benchmark.

In compare to my problem, i get this sounds if my gpu fan is off, but your fans are running and you get this sounds.

I come closer to the assumption that the emergency system checks high gpu temperatures and gpu fan speed.

Can you log your fan speed if you force the fans, maybe the system don't get the rpm feedback if you force it.

- MRAlien

Thanks for your post ! Yes my gpu and CPU fans works well but I thing my problem starts after I remove power cable from laptop without battery. How can I log fan speed ? I force it on video but if I don't after more time laptop force full fan speed without press any button and start beeps. If you notice on my video after flashing prema bios on boot i have 3 or 6 bootloops. I don't now what is going on ....

PS sorry for my English

On my P170EM i can log it with the tool HWInfo (HWiNFO, HWiNFO32 & HWiNFO64 - Hardware Information, Analysis and Monitoring Tools).

If you start the sensors and enable all "show" check boxes in the sensor settings, then it's could be you can't see your GPU Informations.

The reason is, you can only see the nvidia GPU information like temperature or fan rpm if the nvidia GPU is in use.

I have seen in your video you have installed geforce experience, open it and the nvidia gpu is in use.

Now you should be able to see the GPU inforamtions in the HWInfo sensors.

- MRAlien

• Thumbs Up 1