EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs

Hey guys I'm new to Tech Inferno so you can call me Shadow.

Anyways, I have some questions about the Dell OptiPlex 960. I have one lying around in my house and its been becoming really slow for games. So I was wondering if I could add some new parts and revive this desktop without having to buy a new PC.

These are the parts I am hoping to implement:

- Komputerbay 16 GB (4x 4GB) DDR2 PC2-5300F 667MHz CL5 ECC Fully Buffered FB-DIMM (240 PIN) 16 GB w/ Heatspreaders

- Intel Core BX80646I74790K i7 4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz)

- EVGA Geforce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ 4GB GDD45 256Bit, DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, DP SLI Ready Graphics Card 04G-P4-3975-KR

- TP-Link TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter, 2.4 GHz 450 Mbps/5GHz

- EVGA 500 W1 80+ 500W Continuous Power, 3 Year Warranty Power Supply 100-W1-0500-KR

Now I want to ask a couple questions:

Are all the parts which I chose compatible with this desktop PC?

In the future would I be able to upgrade to DDR3 RAM, or would I have to add some other part or replace something?

Do I need any additional parts to perform this upgrade?

If anyone has any suggestions or advice, please tell me !

Other than that, I don't think I will need any other help!

Thanks! :)

are you sure the i7 will fit the socket on the OptiPlex ? also if you install a Graphics card you cant install the Wireless adapter since they both use a PCI slot . I am not sure about that though

are you sure the i7 will fit the socket on the OptiPlex ? also if you install a Graphics card you cant install the Wireless adapter since they both use a PCI slot . I am not sure about that though

What about if I got a new motherboard that could hold everything ?

960 is not 1150, it is old LGA 775

960 does not work with registered ECC memory.

I doubt that you will be able to fit GTX 970 in there.

And I don't think it takes ATX PSU.

Buddy, the whole F idea is insane!

I'd throw that thing in the garbage and will not think for an upgrade even for a minute!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By mx90
      Hello, I've got a Quadro M2200 (GPU: GM206GL-A Revision A1, and MxM 3.0a Maxwell card) with the following bios: 84.06.76.00.1C

I've read that this card is very similar to the GTX 965m, but that it has been underclocked considerably. It seems to be a good candidate for unlocking since I hardly see the temperature exceed 70C as-is. I'm requesting help with this - I'm not sure if it's possible to simply flash the vbios from a Dell GTX 965m (MxM 3.0a) or if some type of edit of the card's current vbios would do the trick. I'm hoping someone could help me out with the specifics of doing such an edit if that's the case. 

Thanks!
    • By ajdrenter
      Hello all! I have been researching upgrade paths for my M17x R4 and I have decided on the GTX 1060. Now, I was given this laptop with a dead GPU, and I had an M17x R3 already. So I moved the GTX 560m into the R4 which has worked fine. Now as I understand it a few things are needed for this upgrade including the 120hz panel and the ability to disable the legacy ROM for a pure UEFI boot. I have the 120hz screen, but the 560m uses the GF116 architecture which does not have a vBIOS which supports GOP. So I am thinking the only solution is to buy a cheaper "in-between" card which supports both boot modes, which will allow me to disable the legacy option in setup. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what cheap card to buy as a transitional part? I have been considering a 765m but I am also wondering if there are any other good choices.
    • By depmixels
      hello everyone, I have a MSI GT683R with a dying (pretty much dead actually) GTX560M in it.

I am looking to upgrade it to a new GPU, I have found a AMD Firepro M6100. (I first wanted to upgrade to a GTX970M, but that's too expensive for now... and corona is also making things difficult) I have already ordered a second heatsink to modify because I didn't want to modify the original heatsink it came with.

But, my question is. Does it even work in this system? I have heard of people getting it to work in the barebone variant of this system. But I am not sure if it would work in the 'fully loaded' variant.

Also, my games are mostly RAM/CPU dependent and I am looking for a little extra power in this system. I have found a I7-2860qm and I want to upgrade to 32GB of RAM, is it possible on this system? the sticker says 'max. 16GB of RAM' But I have feeling it says that due to the limitation of the cpu that's already on this system (I7-2630QM, 16GB RAM max.)
    • By Lisa Scott
      Sometimes, our Computer becomes very slow and gives tough time to make work on it. This makes slow because of hard drive holding the plenty of data, files. So, to make faster speed clear the some space.
      Some background applications or programs running make computer slow.
      Remove or disable any TSRs and startup programs that automatically start each time the computer boots. 
      Scan for Malware and Adware, if your system infected by them.
      Uninstall Programs You Don’t Use

• By Consumerofmulch
      Hello!

I have recently acquired my Dell Inspiron 15 7000, and I am interested in building an egpu setup for it. It has a USB-C port. Any recommendations/guides out there?

thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.