need advice for m18x r2 gpu upgrade

woshi02191

I'm planning to upgrade my gpus for my m18x r2 from gtx 680m sli to 980m sli, but the price online for 980m is still very expensive to these days, and also since there are rumors about gtx 990m coming out in next a few months.

Do you guys think it is a good time to go for the upgrade or to wait for the new 990m?

from everything ive read the 980m has serious issues running on an R2, id stick to 780m overclocked....can be had for less than $400 off ebay

isnt the 990m=980GTX? the new165W one?

What issues have you heard? Only issues I know of is that it won't work with Windows 7, gotta have Windows 8. Other than that, it's working just fine.

Aw m18x R2 Dual 980m SLI upgrade!! | NotebookReview

I've only got one 980M right now, but so far so good. Hopefully I'll get the second sometime next month.

Ditto here, but with dual 980Ms. Staying stock yields no throttling (or at least minimal). When I really see an issue is when my power brick drops out. Must have a heat/current trip. I have to unplug it and plug it back in every so often.

Homer

• Thumbs Up 1

• 6 months later...
On 9/27/2015 at 5:43 PM, SkylineLvr said:

What issues have you heard? Only issues I know of is that it won't work with Windows 7, gotta have Windows 8. Other than that, it's working just fine.

Just to follow up on your post. I am running dual 980m on my mx18r2 and so far so good. 0 problems on windows 10. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just a little bump but swick over on notebookreview has managed to compile a new bios that solves alot of compataiblity issues with the 980m and has legacy restored as well. Possible fix for the throttling as well as early results seem to show its a driver issue rather than something with the bios. Cant link it atm but its in the m18x section of their alienware subforum.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/6/2016 at 11:15 PM, Gor3 said:

Just to follow up on your post. I am running dual 980m on my mx18r2 and so far so good. 0 problems on windows 10. 

I'm jut trying to get his going.  Bought the card off  woodzstack666.  I had no idea what I was getting into. 

just put the card in and tried to boot it up.  I got 8 beeps and nearly shit a brick.  All the post said dead lcd. I thought it killed my lcd panel.

Talked to woozstacks66 and he walk me off the ledge.  I took the card our and my pc booted just fine.

I just have to reinstall windows now.  I don't have enough posts to download the unlocked bios. Don't have enough posts to download the display drivers.

Sooo... Looks like I'M PLYING GAMES ON MY INTEL 3000 until I have download rights.

I don't thini I would have bought the card if I had realized it was going to be this complicated.

• 1 month later...