Staff Sargent

Intel Core i7 2760QM and 2860QM now avail on M17x R3

was on dells config page today and saw Intel Core i7 2760QM and 2860QM now avail on M17x R3 where avail now instead of the 2720 and 2820 CPU's. I even think they are avail for the M14x and I would guess the M18x too. Someone might want to make a better post as I am in chat with dell about a better price on my M17x since my money is finally coming in to buy it.

• Thumbs Up 3

2960XM... Time to look for cheap 2920XMs on eBay!

exactly and as far as I know.. no one has shown a 2960xm going any faster than a 2920xm overclocked so far...

My 2820's hD3000 graphics are messed up. I wonder if they will replace with the 2860??? That would be niiiice.

As soon as IV arrives any SB XM will significantly drop in price, and IV arrives in a few months. I am fine with 2860qm anyway. I was fine with 2720qm running on my m18x too. Haven't noticed any difference so far talking regular use.

My 2820's hD3000 graphics are messed up. I wonder if they will replace with the 2860??? That would be niiiice.

New 2820qm on its way to correct graphics issue. Not the 2860qm I hoped for but working is working (-:.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Similar Content

• By mtvgt
      Hi guys,
      i have m18x R1 model with A05 unlocked bios and i try to connect ati mobility 4870 card/s.
      I read ton of posts but people that seem to have similar problem with different card didn't post any solution. Case is when i connect 4870 i get black screen and 8 beeps.
      When i use only integrated graphics (no cards installed) laptop is starting normally.
      When i use integrated graphics (nvidia card installed as master) laptop is starting normally.
      When i use nvidia card installed as master laptop is starting normally.
      When i use nvidia card installed as master and ati 4870 installed as slave laptop is starting normally but in devices manager i see there is error 10 with ati card.
      When i use ati 4870 card installed as master i get 8 beeps and black screen.
      I tried to google for answers but unfortunatelly didn't find any. Do you know if that old card can work in m18x ? Maybe it's not supported at all? Do you have any ideas what else can i try?
    • By GrisGris
      For when that rubber coating on your laptop phase shifts to fly paper...

Here is what I did,

Disassemble M18x:
      Well documented by debaucher:
      The palm rest section was the biggest offender for me;

>I used a plastic spoon and nail polish remover to remove the rubber coating:
      >Obviously remove as many of the various utility boards as possible.
      >I left the touch pad in place because this model used thermally fused plastic rivet like pieces to hold the light pipes in place and I found it easier to mask it off.
      >"FrogTape Delicate Surface" worked very well for masking off various surfaces

>I used Krylon Plastic Paint as a base coat and 'Jet Black metal flake Automotive Paint;

>With the paint still setting up I dusted various glow powders over the substrate and dusted some additional black paint to achieve some depth to the effect .
      >I after the automotive paint set up I use mate clear coat the overcoat the entire surface. I personally believe glossy clear coat would not look as good. 
      >Adjust as needed and re-assemble.

>I Used a USB LED clamp light available ebay/amazon $10 to illuminate

Hope you enjoyed the first post...
    • By yoshomiamoto
      Hello Fellow Tech Gurus!

I am having a huge headache after upgrading the ram memory of my m17x r3. 

First let me start by saying I have been experiencing issues with my current ram setup recently, and so i decided to replace the ram inside of my computer, thinking they had gone out on me. It originally came with x4 2gb memory sticks, and as I started to experience issue, I started to removed them, and I was down to 1 2gb stick. It seems to me ram slots 1 & 2 are not working properly as when I put ram memory into them I would get BSOD in 5-10 mins of computer usage after boot. So I am thinking the slots have gone out. I also tested each slot individually and still same effect.

So I went on the try out slots 3 & 4 under the keyboard, which seems to work just fine when I use only 1 ram chip in one or the other. But the problem occurs when I try and fill both ram slots in slots 3 & 4 under the keyboard with crucial 2x 8 gb of ram sticks, which total to 16gb total ram memory.

BSOD and freezing occurs like crazy. But if I use just one of the ram sticks in either slot, no problem.

I dunno if this is hardware or software. I am think that my motherboard is on its way out the door, but any suggestions you all have would be great. I have already clean installed win 7, and is currently running bios A10 (unlocked, I believe)

I would also like to note that my motherboards internal vga is not detected, and just noticed this a few days ago upon trying to figure out the ram situation.

other issues is my laptop battery is pretty much dead, and the only for my computer to cut on is if the AC adapter is connected

I would also like to know can 1x 16gb 1600 ram stick run in my computer? or is it not supported by my motherboard? 

thanks!

Specs:

Alienware M17xR3 (2011 3D FHD ed)

Service Tag:
      30W75Q1

Bios ver:
      A10 (should be unlocked)

Operating System
      Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Processor
      Intel® Core™ i7-2960XM CPU @ 2.70GHz

Chipset
      Intel® 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family

Graphics
      Nvidia GTX 680m

Audio
      IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
      High Definition Audio Device

Networking and I/O
      DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card
      Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
      HMA TAP-Windows Adapter V9

Memory
      Crucial 8 GB (x2 qty) DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V • 1024Meg x 64 •

(these only work under bay 3 or 4, but not dual 8gb at the same time, otherwise BSOD)

Configuration ID:
      CT3283724

Storage
      WDC WDBNCE5000PNC SSD (installed into bay 0)
    • By Munchicken
      Hi,
      I just got a Dell r9 m290x card for my m17x r3. I'm using the stock A12 BIOS. Had PEG set in the BIOS and on boot had a black screen. I cleared CMOS, most likely reverted back to SG and on boot had a black screen with 8 beeps.
      I've seen people on here report that it is working for them. Do I need to use a different vBIOS? Or maybe the unlocked A12 BIOS with some settings changed?
      Any help would be appreciated   Thanks.
    • By p1npo1nt
      I'm going to be upgrading my Alienware M18x R1 with a GTX770m I purchased from ebay; 770m has a Dell P/N: HW6C9 for reference. I have a couple questions about performing this upgrade:

-Is the /unlocked/ version A05 bios necessary? I am receiving 8 beeps on startup with the dell factory A05 bios installed w/ the 770m
      -Is a vBIOS flash required for basic functionality and driver installs? 
      -If so, is there a link to a compatible vBIOS for this card, finally, a guide for installing the new vbios?

Any help is vastly appreciated, I've done some homework but I am new to upgrading MXM modules on laptops. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.