GTX980m AW17 R1/M17xR5 60hz "Not Installed"

Crimson

Hey all,

Just looking for some more experienced eyes to look my situation over for me. I've got a GTX980m that I bought from a bloke on eBay who had already flashed a vbios from SVL7 and tested it in his AW17. I've installed it in a 2013 AW17 and got nothing. It's like it's not actually connected at all. UEFI mode, fresh install of Win8.1 and the device doesn't show in device manager. Try Prema's vbios flash and nvflash comes back with "No nVidia display adapters found". I've swapped the stock GTX780m back in and it picks it straight up. In an effort to try and find a BIOS setting referring to the iGPU I notice that when the 980m is installed, the Discrete Graphics 1 option is [Not Detected], but with the 780m installed, it shows Nvidia GFX instead.

Has anyone else with a combination of M17 R1/M17xR5 and a 900m series card noticed if it shows in the BIOS? There's an argument to be made that if the 980m is purely a UEFI card that it won't appear in the legacy BIOS, but surely it's possible that it's at least aware of the card, even if it can't access it?

you should try installing an NVidia driver, you probably have the wrong driver installed therefore the video card is not being seen. try downloading a 980m driver, or doing some research on t/I, maybe you might need a modded inf also to go with the driver. and u might need to disable driver signing to get it to install, should work after that.

To better demonstrate what I'm talking about, these are a couple of shots of the BIOS screen:

With the stock 780m:

[ATTACH]15879[/ATTACH]

And with the new 980m:

[ATTACH]15880[/ATTACH]

If your bios doesn't see the card, there is nothing to do with drivers.

Insert the 980m card. Turn it on to Windows wallpaper, turn off, open your laptop, disconnect laptop main battery. Now, you have to undermine a little bit BIOS battery using something flat and plastic. You can't remove it entire due to laptop case. Put the battery again. After this, go to the bios and see if 980m is detected. If not, there could be problem with 980m.

post-14699-14495000728589_thumb.jpg

If your bios doesn't see the card, there is nothing to do with drivers.

Insert the 980m card. Turn it on to Windows wallpaper, turn off, open your laptop, disconnect laptop main battery. Now, you have to undermine a little bit BIOS battery using something flat and plastic. You can't remove it entire due to laptop case. Put the battery again. After this, go to the bios and see if 980m is detected. If not, there could be problem with 980m.

That's what I thought - I appreciate the feedback. No extra video device in Device Manager on a fresh install of Win8.1 was the clincher for me.

I'm organising a refund as we speak - I'll try again with a more reputable seller. Thanks again.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk