Tearing along the left side of the screen

techbear

• Founder

not sure why (with Vista and Windows 7 I suppose there shouldn't be any difference between those 2 modes) but probably a driver issue when full screen is engaged but I cannot be sure unless you try to restore windows with the original drivers that didn't have any problem. Did you try disabling crossfire from within CCC?

Yes I disabled CF in ccc by removing the checkmark next to it - the tearing then goes away.

Would really help me if I can restore to an external drive to save on my SSD for testing purposes - will remove the SSD as you said - might even be possible to disable all the internal hd's via bios.

Edited by techbear

After doing some research realized that it is actually very easy to install to an external disk via the eSata port - same as standard install and much less complex then installing via usb port.

Have to find a connecter/adaptor first to connect an hd via the laptop's eSata port - hope I can find one today.

Only saw one shortcut with newest Furmark version 1.9.1, but it definitely running both gpu's as both of their temps is shown to rise during the test in windowed mode.

Nospheratu suggested it may the second gpu that is causing this issue (in cf mode it becomes activated) - tried to disable the first gpu to test, but win7 does not like it any way to test ONLY the second gpu ?

Made a fresh install on an external hd via eSata, installed sp1, dotnet 4, directx, chipset, del ati driver and symptoms exactly the same :(

Only thing besides disabling cf that really makes a difference is lowering the refresh rate inside ccc down to 40Hz - tearing is then 99% gone in furmark, css and vegas 2.

I'm convinced now it is hardware related - will take the laptop back to my supplier on Monday and ask them to check if refitting the graphics cards will help - really hopes it can be solved that way otherwise it needs to be send back to the USA and it could takes months...

Good news finally !

Did not need to send away my laptop - Dell did a remote log in and updated the gpu bios.......... - problem solved !

They also advised strongly against using AMD drivers (was not using them anyway) and the best method according to them to uninstalling the 6970 drivers is to directly remove it from device manager.

The laptop was stress tested by all the previous games + furmark for the whole morning and did not even once gave the black line again - very pleased that it was not needed to send it away for repairs :)

Thanks again for helping me through this.

Edited by techbear

Good news man! Couldn't have worked out better:)

Would have never guessed BIOS.... is there an update out on Dells site for your cards? Maybe the version you were running was also preventing you from installing the reference drivers from AMD. But the strongly advising against using them is a load of bollocks me thinks... you should give it a try :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey Nospheratu - just checked again on Dell downloads page, but only mainboard bios there for M18X.

Do not want to be hasty, but it seems like it fixed the aero crashing as well - been testing games now for the last 3 hours continuously and windows aero is still up and running :) - need to verify this with more and longer testing - never knows when murphy is walking around messing with us...

The tearing is gone for sure :)

In the mean time I will keep on testing for both tearing and stable aero issue - the installation is still the same with newest Dell driver, only gpu bios was upgraded - would not mind sharing this bios update for the 6790, but so not know how to "download" it from my current gpu and how safe it is.

Good to hear that your issues are solved!

would not mind sharing this bios update for the 6790, but so not know how to "download" it from my current gpu and how safe it is.

It's easy, the best method is using a DOS bootable USB stick with ATIflash on it, then boot from this stick and when the command prompt appears just type in "atiflash -s 0 orig6970.rom" (without the quotes) and it will safe a copy to the stick. This is a read-only process, so you don't have to worry about your GPU.

I don't think the two cards have different VBIOS files on them, but you should be able to backup the second VBIOS as well, with "atiflash -s 1 6970m2.rom", though I'm not 100% sure whether this works, never had the chance to play around with a dual card system.

There's also an easier method to do this, but there are slight chances of corrupting the VBIOS backup file when doing it this way: Open GPU-Z and click on the little IC symbol at the very right of the "BIOS version" line.