Enabling PCIe x2 on Series 6 Chipset

Yomommassis

I couldn't find anything on this and I'm really new to this so forgive me if this is common knowledge

I got an eGPU setup within the week and have been messing with it on my Sager NP5165 / Clevo W150HRM laptop, I also got eGPU Setup 1.30

I noticed that the setting enable x2 mode didnt work for my laptop or any Series 6 chipset in general because this was controlled by something called the "Flash Descriptor"

Didn't even know this existed

FpIU9bq.jpg

wfG1tLK.jpg

So I did some research and everything that came up said it couldn't be done or not without doing some form of "hard core hacking of the bios" whatever that means but regardless I couldn't find anything on how to enable this feature

I downloaded FPTw64.exe and dumped my bios

I opened the bios in FITC.exe version 7.1.20.1119 because from my understanding other versions will give an error upon opening the bios

I navigated to PCH Strap 9 and modified the PCIe setting to allow x2

Znmxcuu.jpg

I built the bios but an error was spit out and the file was no good...

FpLpXaV.jpg

Opening the file in UEFITool.exe showed that some offsets were changed, attempting to flash the resulting file didnt work

So I dumped my Descriptor region with FPTw64.exe "FPTw64.exe -d Dec.bin -Desc" and compared it with my built bios using HxD hex editor

The first time I did this there were 17 discrepancies, so I went through each and every one to see what they did

Ultimately I narrowed it down to one hexadecimal that controlled the PCIe x2 settings

5d3BSzU.jpg

I saved the hex change, opened the file in FITC.exe and sure enough the setting was set to PCIe x2

I used FPTw64.exe to flash the Descriptor region using "FPTw64.exe -f [FILENAME].bin -Desc"

The flash was successful except my keyboard stopped working so I had to hard reset

VXPxK92.jpg

Rebooting into eGPU Setup 1.30 showed the change worked

mvcHo90.jpg

TdLeGWP.jpg

Although my understanding is this settings does nothing for me since my laptop is only equipped with a single PCIe x1 port

Also my computer has USB 3.0 set to port 2 and ethernet set to port 4 so flashing the modified descriptor region disabled those on my laptop

Reverting my Descriptor region required me to use MESET.exe to unlock my flash descriptor to flash back, which is weird because I didn't have to use it the first time

I hope this helps someone with a Series 6 chipset who can actually utilize it

• Thumbs Up 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.