Using eGPU to render Adobe apps on OSX

LukeHero

3 minutes ago, Schecter said:

@razvani Yesterday i was thinking again about this problem: if the issue is in the Adobe software used with thunderbolt eGPU, why we get the same results also with Davinci Resolve? Maybe the problem is with CUDA used a thunderbolt eGPU? 

I was also thinking about this. Yes, it could be the problem. 

Davinci uses the integrated GPU for computing and the GTX for...i don't know what because it doesn't say.

I was thinking about some CUDA tests, couldn't find one. I got CUDA-Z and it sees all the resources. Hm...

Edited by razvani
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can anyone please re-confirm that we can't use cuda in adobe/davinci when in OSX with egpu?

I was ready to buy all the required hardware to give it a try and i'm really dissapointed that it seems to not work in osx..(only in widows)

Thanks!

Any help for a similar issue here?

On 29/8/2015 at 9:44 PM, MacMutsch said:

Thanks for the info!

Although I’m currently using mostly Photoshop CC / Lightroom CC I was planning to use Premiere Pro & After Effects as well in the near future.

With PS / LR I already knew that I could use my eGPU, now I will benefit even more when using the other Adobe CC Apps as well.

Have you made a test how much the performance will increase with the GTX 970 compared to the GT650M?

I can't use my Egpu with lightroom and photoshop..any advise for me please?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2016 at 0:20 PM, razvani said:

Nothing. Basically my DIY eGPU is useless.

I'm selling it.

On 22/11/2016 at 10:42 AM, gio7 said:

Can anyone please re-confirm that we can't use cuda in adobe/davinci when in OSX with egpu?

I was ready to buy all the required hardware to give it a try and i'm really dissapointed that it seems to not work in osx..(only in widows)

Thanks!

It seems there is some confusion here. I am using the same type of setup and its work fine with sierra os with all Adobe apps. I just plugged my external cinema display into the gtx 980 ti and now it uses that card as the primary card no probs!! Did you guys all try that? It work fine with Premier Pro for me.

My setup

IMAC 2013

I5 3.2ghz

GTX 980ti

Akitio PCI

32gb ram

Sierra

Premier Pro = Working fine

ph.jpg

Edited by Gavner25

• 1 month later...

Got this solution from @P-Mac

I disabled the 750m with this app, and had my monitor plugged into the egpu (980ti)

https://github.com/Eun/DisableMonitor

i had to shut the mbp screen and then reopen the lid. Then turn the brightness all the way down to kill the lit pixels. But I was able to get 14fps on alexa 4K footage prores 444. with davinci and still output to my ultrastudio minimonitor.

But the footage can not be on the same thunderbolt bus.

ill test with my 6K footage and the USB ports with my SSD and spinning drives when I get a chance. I think I can bring this rig on set now. 

Edited by Jmlee5

• 3 months later...

@Jmlee5 That's helpful thanks! Now that my 1060 is supported I'm trying to make Premiere and Davinci work with my egpu. I'll check this app out.

@Gavner25 Does your iMac have a dGPU? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you are not having any issues because you don't have an internal NVIDIA chipset with your iMac...

Edited by mrchrister

@jmlee5 I wasn't able to get this trick to work unfortunately. After disabling my Retina display with the app "DisableMonitor" the mouse couln't move to the screen anymore, but the display stayed on. Even closing the lid or turning brightness all the way down didn't help.

Davinci always recognizes my 650m as the gpu.

The key to success for havinng egpu support in premiere/davinci seems to be to disable the 650m.

I can see two ways doing this:

1. Through efi modifications during startup (possible with refind)

2. Modify the Nvidia Web Drivers to give support for my egpu but somehow disable support for cards with 6xx

The crazy thing is in Windows, I go to device manager, disable the 650m and everything works. If you enable Intel Iris you can even use your Laptop monitor as a second monitor together with the one connected to the egpu.

So at the time being it seems that working in Windows is the only viable option if I want full eGPU support for applications like Davinci. Not the worst, but definitely not great, owning a Mac and using it as a PC...

Edited by mrchrister