Need Help: M14x R2 randomly shuts off

I took apart my m14x r2 to clean it out and re-apply thermal paste, cause my dedicate gpu stopped being detected in BIOS. After reassembly everything seemed fine, but after ~10 hours it just shut off with no restart. It would power back up and after 1-2 seconds turn off. After disconnecting the charger and letting it sit for a day it turns on but then it repeats the whole process again. I'm on regular bios A14. Any ideas what might be wrong?

• Thumbs Up 1

I took apart my m14x r2 to clean it out and re-apply thermal paste, cause my dedicate gpu stopped being detected in BIOS. After reassembly everything seemed fine, but after ~10 hours it just shut off with no restart. It would power back up and after 1-2 seconds turn off. After disconnecting the charger and letting it sit for a day it turns on but then it repeats the whole process again. I'm on regular bios A14. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Never had this issue with mine. I'm afraid that your GPU might be dying. If you had GPU issues even before the disassembly it's pretty it's dead. Maybe try to downgrade bios and possibly install unlocked bios from techinferno and try to downclocl your video card. I don't know. Maybe go to some well known service center that you can trust...

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the response. I will try downgrading the bios, maybe that will make a difference. The thing is the notebook had a bad screen and I was using the integrated cpu gfx. I took it apart in order to replace the whole top screen assembly that I got from eBay for $80. And after that it started to randomly shut off. The pre-bios alienware diagnostics show everything is fine though. I'm very good with PC repair (10+ years of experience) but can't quite figure this problem out.

have you tried using the modified bios from this thread? which prevents throttling, although i'm not sure that it would cause it to randomly shut off. might be worth a shot if running out of options

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m14x-aw-14/1787-%5Bm14x-r2%5D-vbios-mod-higher-boost-clocks-test-versions-only.html

The m14xr2 is a bit tricky to disassemble. If you disable the nvidia and run only intel gpu you don't have issues, right? How about you hook up the mini display port to external display and disable the intel gpu. This will eliminate any possible issue with the the gpu-display connection, but AFAIK the laptop display is driven by the hd4000. You can, by deduction, identify what may becausing problems. I still think your gpu may be dying.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

M14x R2 is quite easy do disassemble, putting it back together is another story entirely.

Also it sounds like the problem might be related to mother board.

My old msi laptop had similar problem, i was told it was due to faulty motherboard. But since my warranty was already over i never bothered to have it fixed since, well, motherboards for laptops cost so much it's usually better to get a whole new computer instead.

This might be a super-dumb question, but it isn't overheating is it? I've seen enough laptops behave exactly that way due to heat that it's always my first reaction - I assume not with your experience, but I've been flabbergasted by dumb solutions before and thought I'd at least throw it out there.

Also I've seen funky behavior from the video cable not being seated properly on laptops before, and it's not outside the realm of possibility that the new screen from eBay is faulty as well.