bull.box kickstarter eGPU

Dschijn

is that something wrong?? i saw the video and bullbox have Pciex 8??? :distant::distant:

TB1 and TB2 use a x4 2.0 electrical link across the cable. It's only when a PCIe bridge is used to split the link across multiple slots where you might see a x8 or x16 electrical link being used with the hosted video card. A 3-slot Sonnet III-D being a device that does this.

So the x8 interface speed doesn't mean you'll be getting 32Gbps bandwidth. You'll still only be seeing 10Gbps-TB1 or 16Gbps-TB2 on the upstream link.

My question is how would they ensure compatibility across the osx platforms, and also how, if attempted, will they ensure plug n play capability with bootcamp partitions.

My guess: As they are already writing about Thunderbolt 3 in their product they'll make use of the "official" support of these eGPUs which will probably make the operating systems boot without hassle. The current problems mostly involve the startup of the Macbook where the EFI is blocking or getting into a wrong state because of the eGPU. Once successfully booted the Thunderbolt eGPUs already work without further problems. So, get rid of the startup problems and the rest is already done for them.

My guess: As they are already writing about Thunderbolt 3 in their product they'll make use of the "official" support of these eGPUs which will probably make the operating systems boot without hassle. The current problems mostly involve the startup of the Macbook where the EFI is blocking or getting into a wrong state because of the eGPU. Once successfully booted the Thunderbolt eGPUs already work without further problems. So, get rid of the startup problems and the rest is already done for them.

But is very optimistic and not "right" to rely on, especially on sth like kickstarter.

But is very optimistic and not "right" to rely on, especially on sth like kickstarter.

What I wrote is in no way meant to be a positive aspect. There will be enough eGPU products coming up as there's a lot of money to grab.

I think these guys only want to reap their share as long as the Thunderbolt eGPU has not arrived in the mainstream. For now until the spread of TB3 devices it's still "Oh look, we create something new, give us your money so we can do it!"...

Sure, competition is nice and everything, but I'm not interested a bit in their product.

What I wrote is in no way meant to be a positive aspect. There will be enough eGPU products coming up as there's a lot of money to grab.

I think these guys only want to reap their share as long as the Thunderbolt eGPU has not arrived in the mainstream. For now until the spread of TB3 devices it's still "Oh look, we create something new, give us your money so we can do it!"...

Sure, competition is nice and everything, but I'm not interested a bit in their product.

I'm with you there. MSI have desktop and mobile TB3 enclosures that will integrate very nicely with their video cards.

This bull box is a cash grab. They have had some support but falling way short of their intended $100k mark.

And there it goes:

We would like to inform you of our decision to cancel the campaign on Kickstarter. The main reason is inadequate feedback in the form of payments. Also we found investor who want to invest money directly into the project. Our intention is for to see the premiere of bull.box on the market. We have therefore decided that we will work to improve the product in order to fulfill your expectations.
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...