Acer 5742G upgrade to GTX 690 using EXP GDC Beast

Psychosis

So I'm helping a friend of mine to upgrade his Acer 5742G to a better GPU.

Unfortunately he bought the GTX 690 prior to my discovery of this forum.

We've had no luck in getting the GPU to show up in the device manager.

We have a 550w PSU, as the card requires 300w.

We've tried uninstalling the Wifi drivers, we've tried halting OS launch and entering BIOS and switching the Wifi to the adapter, no luck.

The reason he bought the 690 in the first place is that the GPU is listed here http://img.banggood.com/images/2014/tanghong/07/SKU149984/SKU149984-52.jpg beside the GTX 980, which implies they both should work.

We can probably try selling the 690 and getting either 780ti or 780 but it'll probably take a long time.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE:

We have bought an MSI Radeon R9 270x instead of the GTX 690, it appears that the 690 itself was faulty.

Now we are trying to get the laptop to use the GPU, we have managed to install the drivers and to get it to be shown but greyed out.

Then after uninstalling the GeForce 540m from device manager we got the card to work, however in my absence they have somehow proceeded to update the drivers online, which led to some issues: the card stopped working, the laptop ran on Intel graphics, the Windows lost Sleep mode.

After a system restore we uninstalled the drivers and got ''Microsoft Basic Display Adapter'.

After repeating the same process in this situation the AMD card was once again greyed out but this time uninstalling the other adapter - which in this case is the 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' - didn't enable the AMD GPU.

Now we are once again trying to first get the 540m to show up, then install the AMD drivers and then uninstall the Nvidia.

All this time we had to switch back and forth between the Wi-Fi adapter and the eGPU every time a restart was required, and we did it while the laptop is in sleep.

Will post the results when we are done.

Meanwhile if you can give any tips or you have any suggestions please do, it will be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE 2:

I have just been notified that in my absence the following error was shown: "error 12 (This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use)"

[so I will also try to do a DSTD Override.]

UPDATE 3:

Latest development is as follows.

After installing the drivers correctly we got the eGPU shown in device manager but with the error 12.

Then after uninstalling the GeForce adapter the screen blinked a couple of times and after refreshing the device manager the eGPU is finally listed as working properly, however it is not shown in AMD Catalyst and the laptop is just using the intergrated Intel graphics.

We have got to this stage earlier, now if we restart, while switching to wi-fi and back to eGPU in sleep, AMD Catalyst will still not be able see the adapter and either a 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' or the 540M will show up in the device manager.

kDyTKjdh.jpg

GTX 690 is an internal SLI setup. You don't really want this at all on your already limited bandwidth if it's possible to run at all. Sell it and get a single core GPU.

I don't want to rush into a major pain that is the DSDT override without being certain that I'll solve our problems, Tech Inferno Fan has also not yet responded to our last email with the latest developments in our case.

In the mean time I want to stress that the Radeon is listed as working properly in the device manager, besides the Radeon the only other adapter listed is the Intel.

Windows just won't switch and start using the Radeon, it is also not shown in AMD Catalyst.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.