M14x R1 (2011) Palm-rest being very sticky

Hello everyone,

My M14x R1 (2011) has been my solid performer for over 4 years now.

But recently the palm-rest started to be very sticky and is now attracting a lot of dust and dirt.

I have only used spirit swabs and normal wet tissue, to try and clean the stickiness off. But it still pertains. Could anyone suggest how i may clean the palm-rest or any specific cleaning agent i could use. My only other solution is to get a decal or skin to cover the palmrest. But i am unable to find exact decals n skins that match the R1. I could find R2 and R3 decals but not entirely sure if they would be the same cut as the R1. Hoping to get some help and thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

The M14x R2 suffers from similar problem. The bizarre plastic/rubber used to cover the surface seems to absorb sweat and stuff. I wouldn't recommend using tissues because it tends to get stuck. Using wet cloth to try to rub off the dust and dirt is best option. I would be weary of using any strong cleaning agents on this.

I've noticed my screen is marred now corresponding to the bottom of the keyboard, where a lot of dead skin cells seem to collect for me (as well as on some of the keys, which have also marred the screen). Not sure if anyone has heard of buffing the screen to get that out, I'd be curious; either way, be sure and clean it up as quickly as possible. I've used the screen wipes on my entire laptop (M14x R1) without any ill effect, the kind that has the alcohol in it, so if nothing else you can give that a try.

• 3 months later...

I think the best idea is to just let it be. Just put a cloth or something on the palmrest when playing. I tried cleaning it with all kinds of different things, and all it does is makes it worse. After a while I notice it gets cleaner on its own (just make sure the cloth you put is cleaner than the palm-rest lol)

• 5 months later...
On 9/17/2015 at 7:13 AM, Juddium said:

I've noticed my screen is marred now corresponding to the bottom of the keyboard, where a lot of dead skin cells seem to collect for me (as well as on some of the keys, which have also marred the screen). Not sure if anyone has heard of buffing the screen to get that out, I'd be curious; either way, be sure and clean it up as quickly as possible. I've used the screen wipes on my entire laptop (M14x R1) without any ill effect, the kind that has the alcohol in it, so if nothing else you can give that a try.

I do exactly the same and it has been working for me until now, i smokes a lot in my room, so the palmrest kind of getting them a lot and this solves it nicely, and no, it is not becoming sticky..

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...