Who has an M11x?

Rypac1502

I've owned every revision of the M11x. I currently have an M11x R3 with an i5 processor, 8gb of ram, and a 256gb OCZ Agility 4. This thing is great! My only complaint is the screen. Not only does it have washed out colors but the resolution is not so great for multitasking. I wish it were at least 900p. The laptop is pretty great, it's a shame Alienware discontinued them. I'm tempted by Dell's XPS 13 line now that it has a 1080p display but at $1400 I think I'll hold out to see if Alienware makes a 13 inch laptop.

• 4 weeks later...
I've owned every revision of the M11x. I currently have an M11x R3 with an i5 processor, 8gb of ram, and a 256gb OCZ Agility 4. This thing is great! My only complaint is the screen. Not only does it have washed out colors but the resolution is not so great for multitasking. I wish it were at least 900p. The laptop is pretty great, it's a shame Alienware discontinued them. I'm tempted by Dell's XPS 13 line now that it has a 1080p display but at $1400 I think I'll hold out to see if Alienware makes a 13 inch laptop.

I have very seriously been considering an upgrade to a samsung 840 pro 256gb ssd. Did the upgrade to the ssd improve performance noticeably? How about battery life?

• 4 weeks later...

I Have mine for 2 years now and it seemed a bit outdated, but I just gave a new life to my M11XR3 just by installing Linux. It's totally supported and I can even play some games with Steam as it's ported on linux.

Only problem: The battery is giving me only 5hours max of autonomy under that OS; it's a lot less than in Win 8. I'm still trying to tweak it a bit!

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my R3 since Feb 2011 and although i do like it overall i have had some issues with it. The motherboard had to be replaced, about 2 weeks before the warranty ran out because the computer wouldn't boot. So the tech came out and did that and then the computer would randomly freeze, which of course only started after the computer ran out of warranty. It still does it to this day and i have replaced just about everything trying to test to see what it is.

I also don't like the fact that the screen touches the keyboard when the lid is closed, i have never seen a screen get so dirty. All of these things aside it has been a pretty strong workhorse and for that i am grateful.

Acea

• 3 months later...

I went from a 17" to the little M11X 11". That took a couple of weeks getting used to. Over all I love my little guy. Ive had it for over 3 years and use it a lot. It is my only portable and for a while it was my only pc. The hinges finally did break a month ago, and Dell did replace them for free. Only took 9 days total time from when I mailed it to when I got it back. So yeah pretty happy with my M11X ^^

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I have had my m11x r1 a day before they released it in the uk in 2009 and the only problem i've had was the hinge issue which was replaced by dell and all has run perfect since. so i have been looking to buy a new laptop recently as the core duo works fine for my software but just seems to be lacking and although there was some nice laptops around i just couldn't ever decide on them and always went back to the m11x.

So i decided why not just buy the m11x r3 ? I know there are newer more sleeker laptops around but nothing that can replace the m11x

so now i have the m11x r3 with the i7 16gb ram and 2gb gt540m gpu which should be good for a couple more years or until they bring out the r4 version.

I use the m11x as my main desktop and for alot of traveling i do and it has been perfect.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have an M11x R2 and been overclocking my CPU past the factory limit (170MHz) along with ThrottleStop to achieve maximum performance. I'm still loving it despite the fact it's having a hard time running modern games and it overheats every 3 months.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I had both an r1 that I got from Cashies and an r3 that I bought off Gumtree,

-Sold the r1 because it would lag while playing online games, and I have the r3 as my main travel system, and I love it! (Best $550) :D
So much easier than lugging my m14x r1 everywhere xD

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys I just wanted to say that I have fully equpied M1x R3 (16GB RAM, i7, SSD and 540M 2GB) I just love this thing, I also have a Alienware 15 with graphics amplifier and still love this little beast, I'm just worried because the performace has drop a lot, and I am afraid it is the SSD losing its life, I was wondering if the Samsung P830 is 6gb/s or 3gb/s????

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've had my m11x r3 since it's release and I am still loving the thing.

I extended it's gaming life with an egpu and it's a solid lan party rig that I still carry around happily.

I'm thinking of doing a little more extreme mods to overclock a little further but can't really settle on a specific mod right now, watercooling would be nice for sure!

I've had my m11x r3 since it's release and I am still loving the thing.

I extended it's gaming life with an egpu and it's a solid lan party rig that I still carry around happily.

I'm thinking of doing a little more extreme mods to overclock a little further but can't really settle on a specific mod right now, watercooling would be nice for sure!

Do you have any pictures of the machine setup with the eGPU by any chance? I would love to see that all setup.

yep, just need to find where I put those pictures, the set setup is quite tedious as there is some kind of lock in the BIOS detection regarding the type of card connected to the mpcie port so I have to boot with the wifi card first then swap the mpcie connection in sleep mode...

here they are, forgive the pityful quality, phone pics.

I don't have the pics of the connected setup but I will try to make them if I can 

p_20161210_113314 (1).jpg

p_20161210_113334 (1).jpg

you must take into account some limitations due to the x1 speed of the mpcie, but the improvement over the stock 540M is huge none the less.

• Thumbs Up 1