2013 15" Macbook Pro GT750M + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10 [YocYoc]

YocYoc

Hello,

I'm happy to share my young experience about my eGPU. I'm using a MacBook Pro 15" late 2013 core i7 2,6 Ghz, with an intel iris Pro, nVidia GT 750M, 16 Go RAM. I wanted the most plug and play solution, so I choose an ATiKiO Thunder2, a DELL DA-2, the great already made ebay cables, and a innod3D GTX 970 OC Compact video card which fills into the AKiTiO without any modification. I can't close the box because of the cables, which is in fact good for the heat.

[sTATUS] I can play games on Windows, but need to power on the box this way : startup the Mac, power on and plug in the AKiTiO, restart under windows. At this point, I don't have a black Screen, but the GTX 970 is not detected. I restart again, and it works. After this sequence, I can restart the MacBook safely under windows or Mac with the box plugged in.

Hardware Configuration :

- MacBook Pro late 2013 GT 750M

- AKiTiO Thunder2

- DA-2 DELL Power Supply

- eBay power cable

- nVidia Inno3D 970 OC Compact

- Samsung 24" Screen using an HDMI cable

post-37368-14495000624532_thumb.jpg

post-37368-14495000624864_thumb.jpg

Software Configuration :

- OS X 10.10 and Windows 10 installed on the internal SSD, everything in EFI mode

- Games installed on an external USB 3 2"1/2 drive

- automate_egpu.sh installed (this make the GPU works under OS X and better under Windows)

When it works, the wow effect is here ! I can play Witcher 3 in high settings (with Hair Works) with a very comfortable frame rate.

BUT, it's very hard to make it work. I need to power on the Mac, wait 1 second, and power on the AKiTiO. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Installing refind didn't help, and neither activate the F8 menu in Windows. If anyone have any advice about this, it would be great.

[EDIT]Now, thanks to automate_egpu.sh and with the good startup sequence, it works better :

- unplug the AKiTiO

- start the mac on OS X

- plug the AKiTiO and power it on

- restart under Windows

- restart again under windows.

[EDIT 2]Grrr... back at home, and I can't reproduce this scheme. When I manage tp restart the Mac with the card plugged in, it is not detected...

I also rarely have a windows notification telling me the nvidia driver stops to work and needed to be restarted, I then need to restart the game. I will try with another DA-2 Power supply and another thunderbolt cable.

Benchmarks

Firestrike score : 8444.

• 4 weeks later...

A few detailed questions since I cant have my win10 working with eGPU LOL...

1, Did you install Win10 with only boot camp or with EFI mode?

2, What version of boot camp control panel are u using ? Did you deleted the graph card driver comes with boot camp control panel?

Thanks a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

1. I installed Win10 ni EFI mode, not in BIOS mode.

2. I'm using Bootcamp 6.0. I deleted the nvidia folder before installing them.

What I've got too is that thunderbolt devices are not detected each time I boot in Windows. I don't know why... Even my Ethernet adapter have this issue.