15" Asus G55VW + GTX460@10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10 [plipz]

plipz

Hey guys,

So I have recently just discovered the facilitating world of DIY eGPU and wanted to give it a try myself. I'm currently trying to make it work on my Asus G55VW on TB1. I been doing some research to try to help me out in configuring how to setup an eGPU on this laptop but my search has turned out empty. I haven't read anything as well as to say it wont work on this laptop. Surely I cant be the only one trying to make it work on this laptop. Anyway this is my setup:

CPU : Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.4Ghz

iGPU : none

dGPU : Nvidia GTX 660M

eGPU : Nvidia GTX 460 (for testing purposes planning to replace it once i get my setup working)

RAM : 8GB

Enclosure : Atikio Thunder 2

So here's where I am so far. When I first started configuring it to work, I plugged in my enclosure while the OS was already booted. Windows failed to install the driver for the eGPU and I had to manually install drivers downloaded from the Nvidia website (v353.62). While installing it BSOD and I had to restart. I removed the eGPU and booted back into Win10, installed the drivers, restarted, plugged back the eGPU and this time it was able to install Windows Basic VGA Drivers. Reinstalled the drivers once again and did a clean install. This time I got both GPUs to detect but I had an error 43 on my eGPU. Here's where it gets kinda wonky. So I restarted the laptop with the eGPU still plugged in and Win10 booted both GPUs as Basic VGA drivers. Removing the eGPU while in the OS will reactivate my dGPU and it will detect once again as my 660m. Plugging back the eGPU enables it to be detected as well but still with the error 43.

I gave up for a bit since I was getting tired and I restarted my laptop so I can go get something to eat. Miraculously it started to work, my eGPU was displaying an extended portion of my desktop. So I thought I got it to work. I tried restarting it to see if it was really working and to my dismay it still recognizes my dGPU but eGPU is back on error 43.

So I decided to use Setup 1.30, I have some knowledge on hardware functionality but the software is a bit overwhelming the first time you use it. So I did the PCI compaction (everything except SATA+USB+etc) then everything broke. OS refuses to boot while eGPU is plugged in. Plugging it in while in the OS causes BSOD. I don't exactly know what happened since I'm a bit of a noob here when it comes to DIY eGPU. Plus the lack of other people working on the same laptop is not helping as I have no reference as to where I went wrong.

Any thoughts on how to get back on track? I was pretty close and then I somehow screwed things up. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. I am reading about DSDT, and I've been trying to figure out what my TOLUD is but I'm a little confused on which one is correct.

post-36722-1449500062261_thumb.png

Hey guys I'm new here so be easy on the noob. I am having problems trying to detect my eGPU properly without BSOD so I was doing more research and found that maybe a DSDT might help me. Then came my next problem. I followed the steps in the DSDT guide and got confused on what PCI branch I should look up to determine my size. I found these branches and wondered if I either got a 2.5GB or more than 3.0GB.

post-36722-14495000623491_thumb.png

Another question I have is that how do I reassign PCI bus for my eGPU? I know the dGPU is always 1 but my TB1 assigns mine to 10, but after looking into Setup 1.x port map, I found the Bus 5 is an x4 and empty and I want to switch it to that. Am I interpreting this wrong? (Also ignore why my dGPU has reverted to Basic VGA, it does that when my eGPU is plugged in, I'm still figuring out why)

post-36722-14495000623831_thumb.png

Thanks!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...