2015 13" MBP + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2(AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1/OSX10.10 [tranj10]

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/7/2015 at 2:33 AM, tranj10 said:

Bootable Windows 8 on external SSD:

Follow this detailed guide (BleepToBleep: Mac: Install Windows 7 or 8 on an external USB3 or Thunderbolt drive without using bootcamp)

- In step 3 part 1, enter the command 'cd C:\imagex' (or wherever you put the imagex.exe file)

i have to choose the imagex in 64 folder or x86?

Edited by davidexD

• 3 months later...
Hi, great thanks on the guide!

I now have a greater chance booting up OSX with EGPU, however, as for windows 10, it stuck at the loading screen with dots circling around.

What I want to share is that I saw another guy who had the same problem of difficulty on booting of 2015 model, and he contended that the problem occurs on GTX960 and GTX 970, whereas GTX650Ti can be perfectly used without these problems. I think this is something interesting, as I have only GTX970 available around me, I am wondering if anyone can test elder gpus and confirm that?

This is exactly why I'm returning my 970. So many failed boot attempts it drove me nuts, whereas my GTX660 and my GTX 760 worked every time. Actually out of probably 100 bootups, the 760 only caused it to hang once, I'm going to miss the performance of the 970 but it's just not worth the headache. I don't know why the old cards work better... Maybe something to do with them being supported only by the Legacy portion of the driver (I think) I don't really know. I'm literally at frys right now returning this GTX970 :(

• 1 month later...

Holy shit. I have a 960 and you're now telling me that it will fail to boot on Windows 10? Can I just install Windows 7/8 instead? Fucking devastated. Have had this card for over a month now so I can't return it. Can anyone help me out here?

• 2 weeks later...
Holy shit. I have a 960 and you're now telling me that it will fail to boot on Windows 10? Can I just install Windows 7/8 instead? Fucking devastated. Have had this card for over a month now so I can't return it. Can anyone help me out here?

I think you'll be okay if you are going to use an external monitor, I'm using internal.

Try it...see what results you get, a few have managed to get it booting but usually takes a lot of trial and error, and even after figuring it out it's rarely successful. The 6 & 7 series cards that I'm using use the legacy driver built in to the nvidia drivers which I think has something to do with why they work consistently with eGPU & Optimus. The newer cards seem to be the problem unless you have a Thunderbolt 3 port

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2015 13" MBP + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2(AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1/OSX10.10 [tranj10]