Killer WiFi causing huge latency spikes

iloveb00bs

yeah thats with the clean install, install the killer driver and bam!!! crazy spikes!!! uninstall and back to normal. so i downloaded the latest driver directly from bigfoot and its much better now only spiking to 2k every now and then. so stay away from the official dell version.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Ok, installed the Killer Wireless-N 1103 and i am seeing the same behavior - DPC latency spikes up to 4000 micro seconds with a driver from bigfootnetworks site, haven't even bothered trying the one from Dell.

Here's a screenshot:

post-2-14494991678684_thumb.jpg

No one reviewed the card yet as far as i know.

I think we should do it.

boobs, which router have you got ?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Seems like BigFoot is aware of this issue for more than a year and still it wasn't fixed.

I'>DPC Latency think we should do some more testing and start reporting it to their forums as well, hopefully it'll get the needed attention and a fix will be released.

Currently using my EVO-4g as my WiFi. Yeah I think more testing needs to be done too. For now I've seem to have it under control with only lag spikes to 300+-. Also I disabled the killer WiFi manager in the start-up menu too which seems to help abit too.

b00bs, which driver are you using?

I have not checked my dpc latency since installing my 1103 but I am mainly on ethernet right now.

btw, I am using the dell 1103 driver right now... will have to check my dpc when I get home.

D.

OK, I just checked my latency using the dell 1103 drivers.

I ran it while having both ethernet and wireless going as well as just wireless.

Everything is green across the board (all around ~100 microseconds) unless I right-click on my wireless/network icon in the task bar to bring up available networks in my area.

If I do that, I get a large spike around 5000-7500 microseconds.

This happens with ethernet and wireless going, just wireless going but not when wireless is off (so the latency happens when the wireless card is searching for local access points).

This is really the only time I get any red spikes.

For example, if I turn off wireless.. I get a spike just above 1000 microseconds, but when I turn it back on (and it connects/looks at access points) it hits over 5000 microseconds (red).

So, at this point there is really no reason for me to worry about changing drivers as I will only notice a latency spike when it tries to connect to a wireless network (or scan them) but does not happen while it is actually connected (unless it scans available access points when I right click the network icon to make it do so).

This could be a problem if I had a poor wireless connection (at home or travel) but since I have a good signal at home and keep in wired most of the time.. this is fine for me.

So, my question would be.... what is your 1103 doing when you get the spikes?

Is it trying to locate/connect to an access point, is it sending out pings, etc.....

D.

Edited by debaucher

thanks for the info debaucher. for me the second i install the driver, i would get lag spike right away, even before right clicking anything. maybe i have something else that conflicting with the dell driver, maybe the wireless hd? i have to do farther testing then, since my lag spikes were into 200-300k range. holy hell!!!

kinda hesitant to do more trouble shooting since i got it fixed atm.

• 3 months later...
  • Founder

So any updates with regards to the latency spikes and the Killer Wifi? I was thinking of getting it but it seems I should just stick with my Intel 6200.

• Founder
latency seems to be fine with the non-dell version of the driver. kille wifi looks good in the sig but other then that doesn't do much for me. i also disable the connect manager crap software too.

Guess I won't bother then. I suspected it might just be hype and good sig material.

• Founder

i does perform better for me i skype (less video freezes since i installed it) but other than that - i didn't see any difference.

I too, disabled the crap software it comes with as i found that at least in my case it was causing the latency issues.