K5000m (and others) P states

I installed a K5000m in my Dell M6700 and things are weird. I saw a few emails about this, but nothing really answered the question.

What happens is, I start the Nvidia Informer and I can see the clocks etc. I noticed that the state is P8, which I assume is a low power state, since I'm not doing anything.

I can't change the memory clock at all, but the core clock I can change, but I doubt it does anything, because I can't get into the P0 state. Changing things in P8 makes no difference.

I think the only way I can get into the P0 state is to plug the laptop in with a big power supply. It does not go into P0 on battery, even if I put the power mode into high.

How do I get it into P0 in a way that I can test things? Can one force the GPU into P0 somehow?

Why am I asking? Because when I'm on battery and I try to start a game, the game runs, but it's slow, lots of framing. If I pug in, and somehow get to P0, the thing rocks!!! And then it gets even better when I ramp up the clocks (reasonably).

And, hey... if you know were a thread is that actually does discuss this, that'd be awesome!

- M

Most laptops are not designed to run the GPU at full speed when running on battery power. Some laptops throttle both the CPU and GPU. If you find a way to run both the CPU and GPU at full speed while on battery power, you will likely damage your battery.

From NotebookCheck -

The power consumption of the Quadro K5000M is rated at 100 Watt