Lenovo Y510P Wifi Looses Conectivity

Tuskator

Hello,

I have had my Y510P for about a year and a half and it has served me well. Unfortunately the WiFi has become sporadic over the last few months, dropping connections and requiring resetting the WiFi adapter to regain my network connection. Thinking it could be an issue with the noisy 2.4 GHz spectrum, I swapped my 7260N with a dual band card from my roommate's old laptop. The laptop refused to boot, which I later found was because of Lenovo's WiFi card whitelist. Does anyone know of a dual band whitelisted card? I saw a 7260AC card with Lenovo's FRU on Amazon, but the reviews said that it didn't pass the whitelist.

Thanks,

Tuskator

I also had this problem about 2 months ago, my networks would not automatically connect also. The problem was not the card but the drivers/windows. Although I use windows 10 TP it may be the same issue. What fixed it for me was one of two things I did, I went straight to Intel's website and downloaded their driver and installed it, I also just updated to the new windows 10 build, so I honestly I do not know for sure which did it but I would suggest updating the driver if possible. If that does not work then here is the list that pass Lenovo's whitelist: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/WIFI-Cards-Compatibility-List-for-Lenovo-Y510P/td-p/1582308

Or you could just remove the whitelist with the bios mod on here

Thanks, I've been (unsuccessfully) trying to use the bios mod on here, but I can't see to get my BIOS back to v3.05 so I'm trying to see how much more expensive it would be to just buy a Lenovo dual band AC card instead. Unfortunately, the only AC card on that list (liteon bcm4352) is proving to be very difficult to find online

It could be a driver or the card. Mine turned out to be the card, which failed hard shortly after the connection issues, however a new drive as suggested would be the first thing to try. You can also try booting a line Linux CD and see if running in Linux for a while is any better, if it is, would lean toward the driver as the problem, if it has the same problems, you may need a new card.

If the drivers dont work for you it might be worth it to check out the antenna connections and possibly the wires to the wifi antenna if youre very committed. I had this problem and ended up having to warranty out my laptop due to the wifi antenna being defective. Good luck to you!

Why don't you try a usb wireless adapter? I want to upgrade my wireless card as well, but can't find a tutorial that explains me how to downgrade from BIOS 3.08... well I must admit that I didn't a lot of search, but I'm probably buying an usb adapter today.

Why don't you try a usb wireless adapter? I want to upgrade my wireless card as well, but can't find a tutorial that explains me how to downgrade from BIOS 3.08... well I must admit that I didn't a lot of search, but I'm probably buying an usb adapter today.

It's easy - just go into your current BIOS, go to the BIOS tab, and look for the option to enable "Back Flashing". Then you can go back into Windows, and re-attempt the flash to 3.05.

7260AC card with Lenovo's FRU on Amazon most of them are fake ... just read comments on Amazon

My friend bought Lenovo supported 7260 dual band 45 $ ... and I bought regular version 30$... we tried both on mine and his y510p ... with same results

both card stock on startup due whitelist thanks to Lenovo ...

so your option to use bios mod or go with usb stick .... if you really want good AC wi fi adapter .....

If I had to, I would just get a USB adapter, but I would like to avoid keeping one of my USB ports occupied for WiFi. Luckily I was finally able to flash my bios and a new Intel AC 7260 is on the way

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've had a similar issue with dropouts on my y410p, but it seems to be some kind of interference in my area. All of the devices in my house seem to have the same problem unless I am able to switch the channel on the wifi router temporarily or use the 5Ghz channel.

I've had a similar issue with dropouts on my y410p, but it seems to be some kind of interference in my area. All of the devices in my house seem to have the same problem unless I am able to switch the channel on the wifi router temporarily or use the 5Ghz channel.

Sometimes it's wifi slowness on my part. Other devices seem to work fine. Updating my wifi drivers helped alliveate that problem for the most part actually I guess you should try that too. For the most part it's working as intended right now and no random ping spikes or lagginess when doing stuff on the web. I've really noticed that updating most drivers in general like ssd, chipset and such help with all kinds of problems on the y510p at least. But if im correct the y510p and y410p are pretty similar so you should go check for the latest drivers on EVERYTHING. It can't hurt at least :D

Same issue I'm having. At first I thought it was my router, so I went and bought a brand new 100+ router, and noticed still having drop connection issue. I decided to upgrade the card, and found out that's not possible with the blacklist and with that reason, I ended up there at this site. Just get yourself a new WIFI card, mod the BIOS, and your good to go.

• 9 months later...