2015 15" MBP R9 M370X + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1 [Gatsby]

• 2 weeks later...

NVidia has Optimus, but AMD has "Switchable Graphics" (Configuring NVIDIA Optimus and AMD Switchable Graphics for High Performance on your Alienware System | Dell US).

Is it possible that, if I pair the M370X with an AMD-based eGPU, I can achieve the same effect regarding using the most-powerful GPU available with the internal Retina Display? Has anyone tried? I know NVidia's generally "better", but I would go AMD in a heartbeat if it meant being able to use the eGPU with the Retina Display.

EDIT: This may also be of interest: AMD Hybrid Graphics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Hybrid_Graphics

EDIT2: Actually it looks like Switchable Graphics is exactly what we want http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/66

A problem we may have to address is how we can't download and install the latest Catalyst Control Center from AMD's website, we have to get ours through Apple/BootCamp Drivers, which come about twice a year and seem to provide a limited version of CCC...

NVidia has Optimus, but AMD has "Switchable Graphics" (Configuring NVIDIA Optimus and AMD Switchable Graphics for High Performance on your Alienware System | Dell US).

Is it possible that, if I pair the M370X with an AMD-based eGPU, I can achieve the same effect regarding using the most-powerful GPU available with the internal Retina Display? Has anyone tried? I know NVidia's generally "better", but I would go AMD in a heartbeat if it meant being able to use the eGPU with the Retina Display.

EDIT: This may also be of interest: AMD Hybrid Graphics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Hybrid_Graphics

EDIT2: Actually it looks like Switchable Graphics is exactly what we want Do I need to configure the AMD Catalyst™ Control Center after installing the Windows® 8.1 driver for my Switchable Graphics enabled laptop?

A problem we may have to address is how we can't download and install the latest Catalyst Control Center from AMD's website, we have to get ours through Apple/BootCamp Drivers, which come about twice a year and seem to provide a limited version of CCC...

See http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2967-lucidlogix-virtu-internal-lcd-mode-amd-egpus.html#post41056

Thanks for that, I actually already saw it... I should have added to my post "Can this be done *without* Lucidlogix Virtu?" It strikes me as sketchy. Like that software that converts DVDs to "whatever format you want". Why do I have to pay for that? It's like if they charged $35 for rEFInd or rEFIt.

If all we have to do is use AMD GPUs, I would much rather that than use this software. Has anyone tried using an AMD GPU with their M370X MacBook?.. Or M395X iMac?

Thanks for that, I actually already saw it... I should have added to my post "Can this be done *without* Lucidlogix Virtu?" It strikes me as sketchy. Like that software that converts DVDs to "whatever format you want". Why do I have to pay for that? It's like if they charged $35 for rEFInd or rEFIt.

If all we have to do is use AMD GPUs, I would much rather that than use this software. Has anyone tried using an AMD GPU with their M370X MacBook?.. Or M395X iMac?

If you find a way, free or paid, please report. So far for AMD eGPU acceleration of the internal LCD we have the window drag-and-drop method requiring an external LCD (or phantom LCD) or using LucidLogix Virtu. The latter providing transparent management just like NVidia Optimus. AFAIK, AMD switchable graphics has VBIOS hooks to enable it.

If you find a way, free or paid, please report. So far for AMD eGPU acceleration of the internal LCD we have the window drag-and-drop method requiring an external LCD (or phantom LCD) or using LucidLogix Virtu. The latter providing transparent management just like NVidia Optimus. AFAIK, AMD switchable graphics has VBIOS hooks to enable it.

I see. I wasn't aware of the drag-and-drop method, but it certainly makes sense.

I'm exploring eGPUs in general and will probably be posting in a new thread about what I've found.

• 3 weeks later...

Gave this a shot on Windows 10. It isn't able to boot into windows after running the script on refind. I eventually got it to boot into safe mode and disabled the dGPU from there. I was able to see my Intel Iris as well. However, I still can't boot with the script enabled so I can't proceed. Going to give it a shot on Win 8.1.

UPDATE!

Confirmed working on Windows 10 :)

So I realized I missed a step before running the refind script! After running this https://github.com/0xbb/gpu-switch (I had to run the newest version as the old one wouldn't launch) and then rebooting with the refind script, I was able to detect my Intel Iris and get gpu output on Windows 8 and 10. Thanks for this guide :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

I am currently working on the setup, but I am experiencing problems with the rEFInd installation in Windows 10 under bootcamp on my MBP. I do follow all the steps and everything seems to be right. Problems occur when after following the manual installation process on Windows in the rEFInd website, I don't see any changes on the boot screen, just the usual Windows/OSX choices. Nevertheless, when I follow this steps:

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2015 at 7:19 AM, TheGrreatGatsby said:

mountvol S: /S

This will mount the EFI partition in Windows and assign it the drive letter S. You won't be able to see it appear in "My Computer" however, it remains hidden.

S:

cd EFI

dir

I can see the rEFInd directory on the command promp!

Also when I copy "apple_set_os" file and repeat "cd edi"; "dir", I can see the "custom" folder inside the directory. Yet, there are no changes on my bootscreen!

Anyone can give me an idea of what am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot!

9 minutes ago, Piqudo said:

Hello everyone!

I am currently working on the setup, but I am experiencing problems with the rEFInd installation in Windows 10 under bootcamp on my MBP. I do follow all the steps and everything seems to be right. Problems occur when after following the manual installation process on Windows in the rEFInd website, I don't see any changes on the boot screen, just the usual Windows/OSX choices. Nevertheless, when I follow this steps:

I can see the rEFInd directory on the command promp!

Also when I copy "apple_set_os" file and repeat "cd edi"; "dir", I can see the "custom" folder inside the directory. Yet, there are no changes on my bootscreen!

Anyone can give me an idea of what am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot!

i also had this problem. I installed it through Mac OSX and it works. 

just disable SIP and install the package from the refind website. Restart and you'll get refind page. Then get to windows and recopy the apple_set_os file. then follow Gatsby's instruction

Edited by wokermin

1 hour ago, wokermin said:

i also had this problem. I installed it through Mac OSX and it works. 

just disable SIP and install the package from the refind website. Restart and you'll get refind page. Then get to windows and recopy the apple_set_os file. then follow Gatsby's instruction

Thanks! I will do so. But a couple of questions from a Newbie like me.

1) Do I have to uninstall rEFInd in Windows? And change something via command Promp so no conflicts happen?

2) What do you mean by SIP?

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, Piqudo said:

1) Do I have to uninstall rEFInd in Windows? And change something via command Promp so no conflicts happen?

Thanks!

1) nah (at least i didn't have to and it worked just fine. I assume it just copying the same files to the same location)

2) SIP is Apple's System Integrity Protection. Without deactivating it, you won't be able to install refind in Mac OSX.  Here: http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/05/disable-rootless-system-integrity-protection-mac-os-x/

Edited by wokermin

31 minutes ago, wokermin said:

1) nah (at least i didn't have to and it worked just fine. I assume it just copying the same files to the same location)

2) SIP is Apple's System Integrity Protection. Without deactivating it, you won't be able to install refind in Mac OSX.  Here: http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/05/disable-rootless-system-integrity-protection-mac-os-x/

Hey, thanks a lot for your answer. 

I just followed the steps but it is still not working. The boot screen is the same as before. The terminal on OSX after running the script looks very similar to how it should be (in comparison to Refind website) but with one exception, there is a line that states:

"Warning: root device could not be found"

Oh dear.... :(

Edited by Piqudo

1 hour ago, wokermin said:

Hey,

After the third reinstall, it worked, somehow.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: After re-enabiling SIP, the Refind boot screen doesn't show up anymore. And I don't manage to get it up again :frantics: I will keep on trying

EDIT 2: After many trials, the Refind Boot screen seems to show up at times. I will explain:

- I go into recovery mode and disable SIP

- Reboot

- OSX and run Refind script-installer

- Reboot --> Alt pressed and it doesn't work (usual boot screen shows up)

- I go into recovery mode and enable SIP

- Reboot

- I go into recovery mode and disable SIP

- Reboot --> Alt pressed and Refind boot screen shows up. 3 Options, OSX, Windows EFI and Windows. Try to log in via "Windows" as the guide says, but this message shows up:

"Starting Legacy loader

Using load options "HD"

Error: Not found while loading legacy loader

Please make sure that you have the latest firmware update installed

Hit any key to continue"

- Press any key and come back to Refind Boot Screen. I select Windows EFI and it kicks in

- I do the step of copying the "apple_set_os.efi" file

- Reboot --> Alt pressed and it doesn't work (usual boot screen shows up)

Can anyone make sense of this and give me a hand? :ohmy::geek::logik:

Edited by Piqudo

Hello everyone,

Just an update on this in case someone else might be in the future facing the same situation I am into: installing refind manually in OSX did the trick, now the refind boot screen shows up at start as it should. Nevertheless, my problems aren't yet gone.

When I copy the file "apple_set_os.efi" to the EFI custom folder, it does show up on the boot screen at it should. Click on it, screen flashes and comes back to boot screen as it should do, but when I click to boot into Windows in order to check if my Intel iGPU is there, Windows fails upon start  (initially, it loads, then blue screen and reboots itself). When I access to it directly before clicking the "apple_set_os.efi", it loads normally, but no Intel iGPU is visible, of course.

I don't know if anyone could have an idea of why this happens, if so, I would be delighted to give it a try. I am running out of ideas.

Thanks!

EDIT: giving a try to run the github script on windows!

Edited by Piqudo

18 hours ago, Piqudo said:

Thanks!

I didn't see my iGPU so skipped the intel graphic driver part and went straight to disable the R9 and install driver for the external card

16 minutes ago, wokermin said:

I didn't see my iGPU so skipped the intel graphic driver part and went straight to disable the R9 and install driver for the external card

Thanks for your reply!

So, after running the script, I managed to see my iGPU and Booting in Windows 10 worked. Installed NVIDIA Graphics and seems I was finally getting over with it. But, of course, not quite yet.

I did disable the R9 and it was fine. Nevertheless, the guide states that after installing NVIDIA drivers, you should reboot and go straight to windows (not "apple_set_os.efi"). I did that, but windows doesn't boot up, just restarts. I necessarily have to go through "apple_set_os.efi", plug the eGPU and then go to windows 10. This wouldn't be much of a trouble, except that when I connect a HDMI cable to the eGPU, my TV says there is no signal on that HDMI. I suspect it could be related to the fact I am not booting up directly to windows and passing by "apple_set_os.efi". Or is it that I have to activate a preference under NVIDIA panel so the HDMI does work?

Thanks. Can't wait to get done with this.

i dont think you need to change any preference for HDMI to work. try restart > refind > choose windows > plug in the egpu the moment you see the spinning wheel (remember the monitor must be connected to the card first and PSU is on). IDK if this will help but worth a shot

Edited by wokermin

On 11 March 2016 at 5:29 PM, wokermin said:

i dont think you need to change any preference for HDMI to work. try restart > refind > choose windows > plug in the egpu the moment you see the spinning wheel (remember the monitor must be connected to the card first and PSU is on). IDK if this will help but worth a shot

Hello,

Thanks for the idea, unfortunately didn't work out. At this point, all the drivers and steps are made (with the exception I have to boot through the "apple_set_os.efi" and then windows, instead of directly to Windows when I want to use the eGPU). All seems to be fine.

The GTX970 recognises my Samsung TV through the NVIDIA drivers, I can change resolutions etc... But the TV only shows "no signal". When turned on, shows the desktop of windows for a fraction of a second and goes to "no signal". The TV works just fine as a second screen when I use it under OSX or Windows with the R9.

After some online inspection, it seems this problem is quite common in 4K HDTV but mine is just 1080p. I have no idea what is going on.

I will give it some more tries on the following days and if not, I guess I will just have to sell all my eGPU setup :logik:

EDIT: I completely forgot to inform how I fixed it, in case someone else might need to know it. Connecting the GTX via DVI with HDMI adaptor to the TV did the trick. It seems to be a problem with the TV itself, since I tested it with other TVs via HDMI and all worked just fine.

Now I am a happy owner of this setup, moreover after all I went through for making it work! :angel:

Edited by Piqudo