14" Dell Vostro 3460 + GTX750Ti@4Gbps+c-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC BEAST) + Win7/64 [RSLyrick]

Hi guys,

I'd like to thank Nando for assisting with the DIY eGPU Setup 1.3, the eGPU was a great experience to do, it works perfectly and i didn't expected as much performance for a DIY. In my case, that it is the price worth paying

Here's my specs :

Notebook

Dell Vostro 3460 - 14" - Early 2012

Motherboard HM77

Intel Core i7 3632QM @ 2,2 GHz (idle) up to 3,2 GHz (turbo) - (this is an upgrade from a i5 3210m)

8 GB RAM - 1600 MHz - Corsair

Intel HD 4000

No dGPU

Internal Screen - 1366 x 768

Windows 7 - 64 bits

eGPU gear

EXP GDC Beast mPCIe eGPU adapter (bought in June)

MSI GTX 750 Ti Twin Frozr (OC version) - 2 Gb - Low consumption 60W - Very quiet

Dell 220W DA 2 AC (Powersupply) - No ATX powersupply because the card's consumption is very low and it's directly powersupply by the PCI x16 slot

DIY eGPU Setup 1.3 (error 12)

DIY eGPU Setup 1.3 configuration

PCI Compaction --> !Run Compaction --> eGPU

Endpoint --> 4 GB / 56 bits

Closeunusedbridges = ON

3DMark Results

3DMark11.GPU=4767

3DMark13-FS.GPU=3839

Video of my setup

Comparison

Planetside 2 with Intel HD 4000 : 25 - 50 FPS low with a lot of drop to 15 - 25

Planetside 2 with GTX 750 Ti eGPU : 40 - 60 FPS High/Ultra no drop !

Note : To install the mPCI device, it was quite hard and i had to remove one of my laptop's hinge to install it. But now, my laptop is fully closed end fully transportable. If you need any tutorial to do it, contact me !

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 months later...

Hi, I have some questions:

- Can Dell Vostro 3460 use high-end desktop GPUs (e.g. NVIDIA GTX 960 / 970 / 980, etc.) as egpus?

- Can we use Dell Vostro 3460's own display for egpu? Or do we need an external display?

- Are there any way to use the wifi slot for egpu without having to remove one of the laptop's hinge? Can we use the hole in the battery tray (I rarely use the battery), or the hole in the SD card slot, by using an eGPU/PCIe card extender?

- My Dell Vostro 3460's power supply is of 90w. Is it enough for NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti? Is Dell 220W DA 2 AC too much???

Thank you!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have the same laptop model as you have, I have an EVGA GTX 980, an EVGA 500W PSU and the samme eGPU dock as yours. I had the port connected and all the cables connected.

I'm facing some problems and I hope you can walk me through this.

Problems :

1. While GPU is connected with the PCU on, when i boot up the laptop, screen appears black.

2. Boot into windows > sleep > connect eGPU > back to windows > GTX 980 was detected but it has a code 12 error

can you help me on this? thanks!!

Hello,

I have the same laptop model as you have, I have an EVGA GTX 980, an EVGA 500W PSU and the samme eGPU dock as yours. I had the port connected and all the cables connected.

I'm facing some problems and I hope you can walk me through this.

Problems :

1. While GPU is connected with the PCU on, when i boot up the laptop, screen appears black.

2. Boot into windows > sleep > connect eGPU > back to windows > GTX 980 was detected but it has a code 12 error

can you help me on this? thanks!!

Use the following threads to fix your two issues (1) black screen on bootup and (2) error 12

https://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/11393-mpcie-egpu-troubleshooting-steps.html

https://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-30-previously-setup-1-x.html

• 1 month later...
On 24/9/2015 at 5:33 PM, clever_bug said:

Hi, I have some questions:

- Can Dell Vostro 3460 use high-end desktop GPUs (e.g. NVIDIA GTX 960 / 970 / 980, etc.) as egpus?

- Can we use Dell Vostro 3460's own display for egpu? Or do we need an external display?

- Are there any way to use the wifi slot for egpu without having to remove one of the laptop's hinge? Can we use the hole in the battery tray (I rarely use the battery), or the hole in the SD card slot, by using an eGPU/PCIe card extender?

- My Dell Vostro 3460's power supply is of 90w. Is it enough for NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti? Is Dell 220W DA 2 AC too much???

Thank you!

Hello clever_bug.

- you can use High-End GPUs, but they require higher bandwidth and a good CPU to work fine, that's why you can be disappointed about the performance expectations. The eGPU is made to improve your laptop performance, but if you spend to much in it, it could be more benefit to buy a gaming pc. What is your budget ?

- You can watch my second video, i have modified my desk to use an external screen  :

- For the 3460, there is no other solution. You must remove the hinge because the cable is very rigid and you can't ply it at all. This was the most hard step of the installation, i had to remove the hing and cut a groove in the plastic to let the cable pass. If you find a better idea, do it ^^

- Yes, the GTX 750 Ti consumption is about 60W, but it's more interesting for me if i decide to change my GPU for a more powerful GPU and i didn't want to use a big ATX powersupply with cable everywhere ^^