The proof that HP is not a reliable computer brand

wbabt007

Hi guys I am back again! good to see you all and what a perfect topic to make a comeback that the recent HP Debacle.

As some of you know HP recently announce that they will leave the Smart phone and tablet market and over the weekend the sanctioned and subsidized a fire sale on their HP Tablets with the intent of clear their massive inventories, people bought the 16 gig model for 99 us (399-499 retail) and the 32 gig for 149 us (599 and up retail) . On top of that HP is thinking about leaving the PC market all together and become a service company like IBM.

They Claim that WebOS is not death(incidentally they bought WebOS from palm about 16 months ago for 1.2 Bill) and they will bring it back to life with some kind of licensing type of deal(never mind Android is free), but that not the focus of this post, the focus is how could HP have the audacity of selling to consumers a product that not only is defunct but can and will become nothing more that a 99 dollar paper weight.

Some people in the Tech industry are calling this Fire sale the deal of the century, but i prefer to call it as it is, the sham-scam of the year. Even if people can install android or apple IOS 5.0in this machine as a hack the fact of the matter is that the product is as it is, there will be no support and no more development (god forbid your tablet is damage), so off course HP made attractive for most people (even I was Tempted to get one) but if you stop and think for more that 3 minutes you will reach to the conclusion that even at 99 dollars is not worth it, there is no real killer application for it and without a robust App store it just to add insult to injury.

This is another example about HP not caring about the consumer and trying to cut their losses so instead of loosing a billion dollars they ended up loosing 900 million, and rumors are that HP will spin off their computer division ( and call it Compaq as Michael Dell mocked them in twitter?) but the best advice is stay away form HP computers or save your money when the HP Laptops come to the block in a fire sale, you been warned.

• Thumbs Up 1

Too many of their laptops even on high end use only on fan for cpu and gpu god forbid you need sli or crossfire. i bought an hp hdx18 and sold it since the gpu throttled on stock settings and cpu stayed way to hot for not doing anything.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm sorry I hate to disagree with ya, but HP is THE best brand out there by far. I've got an old Pavilion DV8000 P4 laptop that is STILL running strong to this day. Yes it's hinges have snapped in 2, yes there are keys missing, yes it's scuffed to hell. But. it. still. works! Name me a Toshiba that can do that stuff.

If you've been burnt buying a HP consumer notebook then next time consider getting a business grade HP Probook or Elitebook. Having owned/inspected Lenovo Thinkpad and Dell Latitude business grade offerings I've found HP Elitebooks to be better build with higher grade materials.

They have to be. HP gives a 3yr warranty on their Elitebooks knowing full well they'll be carted around the world, often used outside of office environment. They'd be out of business if those systems were of poor quality/workmanship.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

All components, electronic components, as we know, are produced in the same country and the firm manufacturer (brand) does not affect their quality. Therefore, any technology electronic components of the same quality and in the name of a brand that does not depend. The only thing for which they are responsible for is the interior and exterior design that has a very small impact on the performance of electronic components.

If you've been burnt buying a HP consumer notebook then next time consider getting a business grade HP Probook or Elitebook. Having owned/inspected Lenovo Thinkpad and Dell Latitude business grade offerings I've found HP Elitebooks to be better build with higher grade materials.

They have to be. HP gives a 3yr warranty on their Elitebooks knowing full well they'll be carted around the world, often used outside of office environment. They'd be out of business if those systems were of poor quality/workmanship.

I can definitely agree with this, the model I had trouble with over two different laptops same model HDX18 type. The Elitebooks/Probooks always seemed to have an above standard build quality when it comes to proffesional pc. Definitely not the brand to go to unless you plan to spend a decent penny on the pro lines.

Toshiba isnt bad at all for budget pc but omg a friend gave me a Toshiba for parts it was one of the lower model and it was the thinnest bendy plastic frame i have ever seen, one could barely push down on the top it would probably crack the screen.

Seems to say if you cant have a big budget on a laptop tread carefully on brand of choice, all parts may as mentioned above come from same factories bit it is how much money amd good design has gone into any particular model as to how durable one is. I must think that all brands out now have some models with some flawed design and others that really shine amongst the rest. I think thats why reviews are so great and forums. We can all discuss our experiences and warn each other if there are any particular models to watch out for but calling a whole brand bad is not correct when its more like specific budget models. Each laptop is unique.

Thanks Nando4 you always great suggestions.

• 4 months later...

Gotta agree with elitebooks having a solid build, i love the feel and look of my 8770w, but... on the other hand ive had 4 other hp laptops in the last 4 or so years, 3 being pavilions and the other being a envy beats edition,the envy wasnt so bad but the pavillions have always felt and looked cheap to me, really plastic look to them and all of them started having the touchpad "paint" start peeling off lol. no more pavillions for me.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Are you sure, you are using the correct quadcore heatpipe? I've bought a 8770w with a dual core and had to buy extra quadcore heatpipe to get my 3920XM running. But it don't seems to have problems with heat. My Quadro K5000M is some degrees cooler than in my old Clevo laptop. Don't know, weather it ist throttling, but I use the same VBIOS.

What does not let me feel happy with HP is, that the BIOS is full of bugs, some additions (i.e. Backlight keyboard) are too expensive and some mistakes: MSATA port with just 3Gb/s or different mainboards for dual- and quadcores (Same board, just missing two RAM hangers on the dual core baord - why??)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I work on laptops daily and I can tell you this happens with any brand it comes down to how much they really QA the build and who is manufacturing the boards pegatron, foxxcon, wistron, etc. etc.

Only thing HP i can say bad is BEATS hahah they upcharge 100% when they slap that stupid beats logo on crap OMG hahah

I've had all brands crap the bed right out of box, just depends how much of a profit margin they are looking for with that model (businesss models are more about the service contracts etc.. so companies usually stick higher end components in them for shorter downtime and repeat business purchases, your company wouldnt be a repeat customer if their hardware kept failing with little or no use)

Edited by all0w

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I had an HP G420 that overheated all the time. Whenever I would do something semi-demanding and it was on my lap, I'd get third degree burns and rushed to the hospital. It burned down my house and family once, I had to get new ones, pretty inconvenient and annoying

• 3 years later...

I have 4 HP's

HP 6555B

HP 6465B

HP 8740W with i7 820QM, 16GB Memory, GTX970M, PNY 500GB SSD, PNY 1TB SSD

HP 8770W With i7 3740QM, 32GB Memory, GTX 970M, SAMSUNG EVO 500GB SSD x 2, HDD Caddy with a 1TB HDD

And i have 2 docking stations and i have the HP 8770W hooked up to 2 HP LA 2205WG Monitors. No problems for me on any of them.

• 1 year later...
On 2/20/2014 at 11:07 PM, KesLongwood said:

I'm sorry I hate to disagree with ya, but HP is THE best brand out there by far. I've got an old Pavilion DV8000 P4 laptop that is STILL running strong to this day. Yes it's hinges have snapped in 2, yes there are keys missing, yes it's scuffed to hell. But. it. still. works! Name me a Toshiba that can do that stuff.

Ironically, I have two different HP Pavilion dv6 models from 2010 and 2012 and Toshiba Satellite U400 from 2008, all of them still rocking with Win10 on board. The HP's BIOS whitelist is the worst, though. Could really use a better Network card with 5Gz channels support.