3rd party ultrabay drives? Or another issue?

tazz131

Hello,

I've got a Lenovo Y410P, SSD installed and a 2TB drive installed on my ultrabay.

I purchased an ultrabay caddy from Ebay, it was pretty cheap. It worked wonders.

However, just the other day I started the machine up and the drive can't be found anywhere within Windows. I've pulled the drive out of the caddy, and everything is still there and functioning.

I'm concerned that either my the port inside is damaged (drive won't lock, keeps slipping in and out etc...)...I've got my fingers crossed that it's just an issue with the third party caddy that I purchased.

Does anyone have experience with these third party ultrabay caddies? Are they known to die?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe this can help you, I had and old hhd caddy but it didn't fit so used a sandpaper to reduce it's size, then i inserted and was working fine but suddenly one day it stopped working it wasn't detected on bios neither on windows but even leds on the caddy where working but without color changes it does while reading or writing. What I did is removed the caddy and see if there was something blocking the connector and yes there was something in it. The thing went inside because of caddy was to tight that peel off some gray plastics inside.

• 3 months later...

Lots of people seems to have problem with different Ultrabay stuff...I have problem with my ultrabay DVD drive, it don't burn cds anymore, reads disc 1 time out of 5 and it is super slow...

Great concept on paper but a pain in the *** in real life + bad customer support doesn't help at all...Not surprised Lenovo don't put these on their laptops nowadays !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...