14" Lenovo Y410P Ideapad + GTX970@4Gbps+c-mPCIe2 (PE4C 2.1) + Win8.1

hydrocell

Hi,

My first take on using an EGPU. Just wanted to play witcher 3 so bad.

My laptop:

- Lenovo Y410P

- i7 4700MQ 2.4Ghz

- 8GB RAM

- Geforce GT 750M dGPU, HD4600 iGPU

- Windows 8.1

My eGPU:

- Geforce GTX 970 Asus turbo

- PE4C v2.1a

- Antec 450W PSU

Configuration:

Just flashed my bios with the modded 3.05 version by svl7 to remove whitelisting.

Here are the steps I have taken:

- Dont plug the PE4C to your laptop yet

- Boot windows

- Disable the dGPU (GT750M in my case)

- Uninstal the drivers

- Go to BIOS, set video config to use iGPU only

- Shutdown, plug in the PE4C and then boot windows

- Once windows is booted, install the nvidia drivers

- Reboot

- Enjoy your new EGPU

Here are some pics of my laptop

7771013d85eafaeb46085cd4512bb181.jpg

f51bf9a13b0f969e0d11729abb149644.jpg

79a62dd944e0a939df8bc91a1f5f1b60.jpg

Im still waiting for the pcie extenders so i can clean up the case (see cables sticking out)

Pics from windows

7f0782c063a850132cbf203fd2f449dc.jpg

6f1b76a699896480025ed0d013bce347.jpg

1d8ddf9641b84f874e7486553209c537.jpg

Benchmarks

ac504dbc5f792214572f0ee9a2fe857a.jpg

heres my result using internal display

post-36617-14495000465786_thumb.png

• Thumbs Up 4

Did you get the internal LCD to display images rendered from your external card? If so, was there a performance loss? Also, did you unplug the wifi card for the pci-e slot? Thinking of doing this with my y510p.

Did you get the internal LCD to display images rendered from your external card? If so, was there a performance loss? Also, did you unplug the wifi card for the pci-e slot? Thinking of doing this with my y510p.

yes I did get the internal LCD working. It just worked by default. didn't do anything. Going to benchmark today but I think there is a performance loss. Yes had to unplug the wifi card.

• Thumbs Up 1

yes I did get the internal LCD working. It just worked by default. didn't do anything. Going to benchmark today but I think there is a performance loss. Yes had to unplug the wifi card.

Awesome looking forward to benchmarks and pictures!

:Banane47:only 'bout 15% performance drop(compared to external display) when using internal display.

now 'm thinkin' 'bout doing egpu on my y400.

yeah its awesome do it. I don't even bother using my external display. Playing witcher 3 from the internal display without problems so far :)

Followed your steps, but laptop appears to only use internal intel card now. Is there something I am missing? Y510p user here.

did you check device manager if it detected your egpu card? before installing the nvidia driver

Got it working, had to mess with drivers some. Not getting full performance it seems though. 6874 in 3dmark on internal display, no external to test it with. Is there a way to see what speed my pci port is operating at? Did you do any overclocking anywhere?

Switched to UMA only in BIOS, still can see GT750 in device manager. Disabled 'special features' in video configuration, this completely disabled integrated intel so I can't use Optimus (and monitor works only connected directly to GTX970).

So, how exactly do you disable discrete graphics on this laptop.

I have a pretty much the same configuration with PNY GTX970.

It wasn't SLI, just some BIOS option I didn't switched properly. I tried again and I've managed to disable only internal nvidia keeping intel working.

Interesting results though with 3DMARK Fire Storm

With *only* GTX970 working on external monitor connected to GTX970: Score: 7602 / Graphics Score: 9736 / Physics Score: 6210 / Combined Score: 3295

With iGPU and GTX970, external monitor connected to laptop HDMI: Score: 6633 / Graphics Score: 7321 / Physics Score: 6921 / Combined Score: 3755

With iGPU and GTX970, external monitor connected to GTX970 HDMI: Score: 7781 / Graphics Score: 9542 / Physics Score: 6850 / Combined Score: 3570

Mine was working, then I clean installed the bios and os (long story) and now it doesn't work correctly. My internal dGPU still shows up in device manager, along with the 970. I cannot open NVidia Control Panel, it simply states I have no displays connected. Could one of you post your exact bios settings that got yours to work, I have been fiddling for hours and cannot for the life of me get it working again.

Did some more testing / benchmarking. On external screen, I get 8552 on 3dmark. On my internal screen, I get 6950, with the graphics score being significantly lower (~3000 points). I feel like the optimus compression is not working correctly, as my performance drop is ~20% on my internal lcd compared to ~10% on op's internal screen. Is there anything I am doing incorrectly here?

I have question: do I loss portability when doing this? For example: I will be playing at home with the egpu, but then I want to play somewhere else with 750m sli, what should I do?