Y510p underclocking help

Andreen

Hi guys

I'd like some help, I have a Y510p with 755m SLI and had trouble with the computer constantly crashing during games when running in SLI mode. I've fixed this now by lowering the GPU clocks to 901MHz in Zotac FireStorm. I havn't had a crash since, works well. My temperatures are good enough, I don't underclock because of them. It's actually the secondary GPU that crashes and that is cooler than the primary.

I'm running the modified BIOS and VBIOS as per instructions in this forum. Now my question; can I do this in some more permanent way, in lets say the BIOS? Exactly how should I do this? (I'm terrified of bricking the computer so I don't dare experimenting in the BIOS myself.)

I've seen people are using nvinspector with GPU Voltage, would that do the same thing and is it better than my way? Do I have to run that program constantly to keep the changes? I don't want to have to run FireStorm everytime I use the computer. Seems unnecesary if it can be accomplished in a BIOS setting.

Also I found this link in this forum: NvidiaInspectorForY510p What does it do exactly? Does it do what I want? Don't want to try it before I know what it does.

Thanks for reading!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, i have the same problem, although your post is not very clear, especially this part "I havn't had a crash since, works well. My temperatures are good enough, I don't underclock because of them. It's actually the secondary GPU that crashes and that is cooler than the primary." So do you or do you not get crashes anymore?

Hey man, I am having the same issue with my ultrabay gpu heating up a lot when playing graphics intensive games.

Do you think that its easier to just flash the VBIOS and then I think I can undervolt my gpu. That is the only solution I can think of. Also, did you see any temp differences once you underclocked?

Since I have the same problem (my second GPU heats up), my observations to your questions -

1) If you already have the modified BIOS and VBIOS, you can use a utility like NVIDIA inspector or MSIAfterBurner to reduce the voltage and do a bit of underclocking.

2) The software you have posted have some presets for undervolting and underclocking scripts. I don't agree with running those, I would advise that you do it yourself.

3) From what I have read, undervolting by 100mV to 112.5mV works for most users. You can also underclock by 100.

I will be modding my BIOS and vBIOS too, in order to do these setting. I will try to make a video or record my observations, will let you know if I do this properly.

Let me know if you also resolved your issues.

Hi, i have the same problem, although your post is not very clear, especially this part "I havn't had a crash since, works well. My temperatures are good enough, I don't underclock because of them. It's actually the secondary GPU that crashes and that is cooler than the primary." So do you or do you not get crashes anymore?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I do not get crashes anymore, allmost none atleast. The underclocking helped alot. My primary question here was if I could set GPU clocks permanently in BIOS somehow, safely. Instead of using NVInspector/Firestorm or such.

Since I have the same problem (my second GPU heats up), my observations to your questions -

1) If you already have the modified BIOS and VBIOS, you can use a utility like NVIDIA inspector or MSIAfterBurner to reduce the voltage and do a bit of underclocking.

2) The software you have posted have some presets for undervolting and underclocking scripts. I don't agree with running those, I would advise that you do it yourself.

3) From what I have read, undervolting by 100mV to 112.5mV works for most users. You can also underclock by 100.

I will be modding my BIOS and vBIOS too, in order to do these setting. I will try to make a video or record my observations, will let you know if I do this properly.

Let me know if you also resolved your issues.

1) My experience with Afterburner were not good when I tried it. The software made my GPU go 100% just from having a couple of tabs active in Chrome. I had to uninstall Afterburner and reinstall my drivers to get it back to normal. I then tried Firestorm from Zotac and it works well as far as I know.

2) I do not use the presets in Firestorm, I use the manual clocking settings. I have decided to try NVInspector though since it seems to be the tried and tested option.

3) This puzzles me, is 112.5mV normal? NVInspector shows both my GPU voltages at 1100mV @ 888Mhz. I have not touched the voltages, I do run the modified VBIOS from this forum.

Flashing the VBIOS and BIOS was easy, no issues from my side. And the temperatures differ a few degrees, I usually get high 80's when gaming, underclocking reduced it only about 2-4 degrees C. (I did not monitor temperatures closely though, I can't give you exact numbers, just brief flash memories)

1) My experience with Afterburner were not good when I tried it. The software made my GPU go 100% just from having a couple of tabs active in Chrome. I had to uninstall Afterburner and reinstall my drivers to get it back to normal. I then tried Firestorm from Zotac and it works well as far as I know.

2) I do not use the presets in Firestorm, I use the manual clocking settings. I have decided to try NVInspector though since it seems to be the tried and tested option.

3) This puzzles me, is 112.5mV normal? NVInspector shows both my GPU voltages at 1100mV @ 888Mhz. I have not touched the voltages, I do run the modified VBIOS from this forum.

Flashing the VBIOS and BIOS was easy, no issues from my side. And the temperatures differ a few degrees, I usually get high 80's when gaming, underclocking reduced it only about 2-4 degrees C. (I did not monitor temperatures closely though, I can't give you exact numbers, just brief flash memories)

So, yes I was able to mod my BIOS and VBIOS as well.

1) I uninstalled Afterburner as well (not many options). I am using Nvidia Inspector for now to downclock and undervolt my ultrabay GPU. (Details below)

2) Here are some of the mods I had to do in order to bring the temps real low (since ambient temp is around 34) -

a. I did the unshroud mod for Ultrabay mentioned in this link -

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y510p-Ultimate-Cooling-Mods-Revealed-Unshroud-your-cooling-fans/td-p/1533688

b. I have removed the dust filter from the back cover.

c. Downclocked and Undervolted the Ultrabay GPU.

Following are the downclocked settings -

1) GPU downclocked by 120MHz, so hovering around 900 Mhz

2) Memory downclocked by 300 Mhz, so hovering around 2400Mhz , shows as 1200 in GPU-z

3) Undervolted by 120mV, so max voltage now is 987 mV

After an hour of testing games (Shadow of mordor and DA: Inquisition at Medium settings), I got 40-60 fps depending on scene and combat.

CPU temp Max - 79

Main GPU temp Max - 75

Ultrabay GPU temp max - 75

System is stable but I will try to increase the voltage and clock a bit more and see if that increases performance, keeping temps under 85.

Guys .... for those who playing really hard on Y510p ...

3 questions ...

1 - what is normal top temp ??

2 is it normal to play for 5-8 hours ???

3 is it normal temp difference between 1st gpu and ultrabay ??? mine at ultrabay always 10c lower ...

\

thanks

3 questions ...

3 is it normal temp difference between 1st gpu and ultrabay ??? mine at ultrabay always 10c lower ...

\

thanks

1) Can only answer for myself. Mine hovered around high 80's C at stock, occationally 90+. Now with -100Mhz/-100mV I'm around 80 but I've not played a game that is very GPU demanding on this underclock/volt setup.

2) Had mine for 1½ year, have played 8+h many times without problem. (Allthough I was a bit worried about high temps when running stock.)

3) Same here. I guess it's since the CPU is located close to the primary GPU.

Before this even continues. First question is your laptop plugged in to the charger? All laptops regardless of gaming or not go into power saving mode when running on laptop power. The battery of a y510 does not have the power to run sli 750s on its on. You need to have it plugged in to game at maximum performance. If you want to underclock your gpus because being plugged in still is not enough, you will have to flash the bios in order to underclock the gpus. As for the high temperatures the y510 along with other thin laptops like the new razer blade 14 are too thin to effectively dissipate the heat due to smaller coolers. The best you will be able to manage is likely getting a good laptop cooler and maybe adding diamond thermal paste onto your gpus and cpu.

3 questions ...

\

thanks

I would say that I play a lot on my Y510P with graphically intensive games such as Shadow of Mordor, Dragon Age Inquisition, Metro Last Light etc

1) Normal Temp can be answered for different parts of the laptop -

CPU - 80 - 85

Main GPU - 80 - 85

Ultrabay - 90 - 95

2) It is not normal (for health purpose :P ) to play for 5-8 hours, but I also do it on occassions. Games such as Fallout, Dragon Age need the time.

3) If you are saying that your Ultrabay is 10C LOWER, then something is either wrong with your main GPU or your Ultrabay is not being used correctly. Here's why -

a. Ultrabay GPU fan does not have a clear opening for fans.

b. Ultrabay GPU has no proper cooling or heat dissipation, so it should heat up more.

MODS -

I have applied a few mods to my system and now I am getting a decent performance (I dont think there is any loss) with the following temps -

CPU >> 75-79 C

Main GPU >> 78 C

Ultrabay GPU >> 78 C

This is while playing the above mentioned games at med settings and getting an fps of 45-60.

If you need more information, let me know. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
I'd be very wary about trying to overclock any laptop. These little guys get so hot that you're brave to try pushing it further ;-).

Well actually you can overclock it if you have done the temperature lowering mods mentioned on this site. I would still be wary though since my ultrabay card is reaching as high as 97 degrees celsius... Trying to bring those temps down is a pain I don't know why Lenovo did not include fan control software :D. One tip though is take off the canvas or screen or whatever on the bottom of the laptop. That dropped my temps drastically.

Well actually you can overclock it if you have done the temperature lowering mods mentioned on this site. I would still be wary though since my ultrabay card is reaching as high as 97 degrees celsius... Trying to bring those temps down is a pain I don't know why Lenovo did not include fan control software :D. One tip though is take off the canvas or screen or whatever on the bottom of the laptop. That dropped my temps drastically.

My Ultrabay was doing the same. No crashes but temp was 98 degree celsius.

Here is a copy of my post if you want some suggestions to bring down the temps -

1) You can install the unlocked BIOS and VBIOS mod mentioned here -

Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

Then use NVIDIA Inspector to,

Reduce clocks on both GPU by 100 Mhz

Reduce voltage on both GPU by 87.5 mV

and you laptop will never go beyond 80 C on any of them.

2) Use NVIDIA XTU to downclock your CPUs at Core 3 and 4. I have mine set at 27x.

3) Do the Y510P casing mod to provide good cooling for the Ultrabay fan.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-...1533688#M78976

Note - Mod in Step 3 will void your warranty.

Do, with all those mods and an ambient temp of 32-35 C these are my current temps (Playing BF3, Dragon Age inquisition, Shadow of mordor on Med/High) -

CPU max - 78

Main GPU max - 79

Ultrabay GPU max - 79

I am still playing and after 3 months of these mods my laptop does not go beyond 79 degrees on any component.

• 1 year later...