Yoga 2 Pro + GTX670 NGFF.M2 - Driver Fail!!

duckdude555

Hello all. My eGPU setup consists of a GTX670 on my Yoga 2 Pro (1.8ghz Haswell, 8gb RAM, Intel HD4400) with the PE4L and an M.2/NGFF converter (the only free mPCIe slot is my WiFi card's M.2).

I hooked up my eGPU. PE4L, adapter, and PSU, restarted my laptop, and without anything extra it just booted up and worked! However, after I restarted my computer (letting Windows 8.1 install the correct drivers), I get up to the windows loading screen and then the screen goes blank - my laptop is still on, but there's no display output on either my internal or external monitor. To fix this I have to disconnect the eGPU, forcing my laptop to boot using the integrated graphics and the internal monitor, uninstall the NVidia drivers, and reboot - only to have Windows reinstall the drivers and repeat the cycle.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do? I've installed Setup 1.3, but anything I do in that doesn't seem to fix the problem - but I could very well be missing something. And it's kinda pointless to do all this effort to set up a powerful eGPU, only to have it run on the default Windows video driver! I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong with the driver installation, but I'm not sure what. Thanks for your help in advance!!

EDIT: and yes, I've read through all the FAQs and guides I could find - but feel free to call me out if you think I missed something!

Some Lenovo bios see the eGPU and set it as the primary display. This might be the cause of your problems. Some things to try being:

1. booting without the external LCD attached. Attach the LCD once in Windows. This has helped some X230 users.

2. Set the PE4L PCI Reset Delay switch so it's asserted on the PCIe bus *after* BIOS boot. Another way of accomplishing that is to halt Win8.1 from loading with F8/F12 and then hotplug your NGFF.M2 eGPU adapter. Then continue loading Win8.1

You could also try to the following in case you are seeing any sort of wifi slot whitelisting:

1. Boot with the wifi card. Sleep system, attach NGFF.M2 card, resume system. Same can be done in Setup 1.30 except there can't sleep but instead need to hotplug your NGFF.M2 eGPU adapter in place of the wifi, hit F5 to rescan.

Can you advise what PE4L you are using? You may need to also downgrade your eGPU link from Gen2 to Gen1 if using an older PE4L 1.x or going through numerous adapters. That can be done in Setup 1.30 (PCIe Ports->Gen1).

Also check your PSU to ensure it's supplying enough power to drive your eGPU. A blank screen could be indicative of that issue.

Some Lenovo bios see the eGPU and set it as the primary display. This might be the cause of your problems. Some things to try being:

1. booting without the external LCD attached. Attach the LCD once in Windows. This has helped some X230 users.

Still get no display at all on the internal monitor - my laptop doesn't seem to distinguish whether a monitor is plugged into the eGPU or not, just whether the eGPU is on or not.

2. Set the PE4L PCI Reset Delay switch so it's asserted on the PCIe bus *after* BIOS boot. Another way of accomplishing that is to halt Win8.1 from loading with F8/F12 and then hotplug your NGFF.M2 eGPU adapter. Then continue loading Win8.1

When I try that, I get the same problem - a blank internal monitor and a blank eGPU. However, it seems like my laptop gets "frozen" when connected to the eGPU after the NVidia drivers are installed - despite not being able to see the screen, I'm unable to put my laptop back into sleep mode by pressing the sleep button like I normally do. In addition, the caps lock button fails to light up in that frozen state. Not sure if that's a coincidence...?

You could also try to the following in case you are seeing any sort of wifi slot whitelisting:

1. Boot with the wifi card. Sleep system, attach NGFF.M2 card, resume system. Same can be done in Setup 1.30 except there can't sleep but instead need to hotplug your NGFF.M2 eGPU adapter in place of the wifi, hit F5 to rescan.

To my knowledge there's no whitelisting going on - again, the PC has used my eGPU before but just not with the right drivers. Plus, even with the (corrupted?) drivers installed, when I boot I'm able to see my BIOS/Setup 1.3, the "Lenovo" booting screen, and even the Windows booting screen - but with the NVidia drivers the screen always fizzes out and I never make it past that point.

I am using a PE4L 2.1b board, and I have the right power supply (high 12v rails, more than enough wattage).

And I have no idea what TOLUD is.... and how would I go about changing that if that might work?

Thanks again for all your help. I'll be happy to provide more info - anything that might get my setup working!!

I have same problem before I able using egpu

1. My notebook detect egpu before driver installed

2. After driver installed, its unable to enter windows. Stuck at the windows starting screen

What I'm doing is:

1. Boot without egpu

2. Hot plug egpu or use delay switch to prevent bios detect my egpu

3. Uninstall all vga driver except igpu driver

4. Check device manager>Graphic Card, if egpu detected, check its properties, does it have error 12 message? if no error 12 (tolud error), you can install vga gpu driver

4. Open device manager>view>view resources by connection>open memory (since i get error 12)

5. Check memory resources for PCI (to check tolud)

post-36666-14495000386273_thumb.png

read carefully

1. pre-purchase FAQ - point 2 (How can I check if my notebook is compatible with an eGPU?)

2. [Guide] DSDT override to fix error 12

3.Guide: DSDT Override, Simultaneous iGPU + dGPU + eGPU

I have been post my problem and what i have done to solve problem here

• 2 months later...
Hello all. My eGPU setup consists of a GTX670 on my Yoga 2 Pro (1.8ghz Haswell, 8gb RAM, Intel HD4400) with the PE4L and an M.2/NGFF converter (the only free mPCIe slot is my WiFi card's M.2).

I hooked up my eGPU. PE4L, adapter, and PSU, restarted my laptop, and without anything extra it just booted up and worked! However, after I restarted my computer (letting Windows 8.1 install the correct drivers), I get up to the windows loading screen and then the screen goes blank - my laptop is still on, but there's no display output on either my internal or external monitor. To fix this I have to disconnect the eGPU, forcing my laptop to boot using the integrated graphics and the internal monitor, uninstall the NVidia drivers, and reboot - only to have Windows reinstall the drivers and repeat the cycle.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do? I've installed Setup 1.3, but anything I do in that doesn't seem to fix the problem - but I could very well be missing something. And it's kinda pointless to do all this effort to set up a powerful eGPU, only to have it run on the default Windows video driver! I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong with the driver installation, but I'm not sure what. Thanks for your help in advance!!

EDIT: and yes, I've read through all the FAQs and guides I could find - but feel free to call me out if you think I missed something!

I am trying to install an egpu to my lenovo yoga 2 pro through the ngff. My M.2/NGFF converter (P15S-P15F) is not working properly, since my egpu's fan aren't even spinning. I was able to use the same set (Nvidia Geforce 750Ti, EXP GDC Beast dock, working PSU) on my Toshiba laptop through mini PCIe slot.

What are you using exactly to extend your M.2/ngff slot to mpcie? Did you manipulate bios whitelist?

• 1 year later...

Hi!

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought it might be best if I revive this one. I might give some hints to those with Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro laptops, but hopefully, there will also be someone to help me out.

My setup:

Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (Intel i7, 8 GB or RAM)

Window 10

V8.0 EXP GDC Beast with NGFF

Evga Geforce GTX 970

I was able to remove whitelisting of WiFi cards, by enabling "Advanced" menu in BIOS and disabling "BIOS Lock" (I am not sure if I can include links to external sites, but if allowed, I will share the link in my next post).

When eGPU is hooked up PSU starts up, fans on a GPU card are spinning, I don't see any errors in Device Manager, but device is not showing up. I even tried hot-swapping WiFi card with eGPU, but the same effect happens - everything is spinning normally, but nothing is happening. Btw, I also tried to force install Nvidia drivers, but it failed ("No Nvidia devices found").

Last image shows grayed out WiFi card, when I hot-swap with eGPU, but when I choose "Scan for hardware changes", it becomes empty..

If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

Thank you!!

VLD_2303_s.jpg

VLD_2304_s.jpg

gpu.png

Edited by simply_vlad
update of last image

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.