Can an SSD simultaneously function as both an OS drive and storage drive?

I'll be ordering a Sager NP9377 soon and I want to know if I can still install programs on an SSD that has been configured as an OS drive. If I order the laptop with one SSD configured as an OS drive will I need a second SSD for programs and games or can I have the laptop preconfigured with only one SSD for the OS and also install more programs and games on it? Thanks.

Actually, SSDs are great for storing data, because you don't waste write cycles and extend SSD life. The only factor against that (as already mentioned) is cost per GB. So, if you can afford enough SSD space for data storage - it's definitely worth it.

Actually, SSDs are great for storing data, because you don't waste write cycles and extend SSD life. The only factor against that (as already mentioned) is cost per GB. So, if you can afford enough SSD space for data storage - it's definitely worth it.

Except the 840 evo that periodically refresh.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I can confirm this setup works nicely. I have a simple SSD functioning as a storage for both, OS and the files. No trouble, system boots up lightning fast, overall work experience is better than with a normal HDD :)

If you can afford the space, go fot it.

Just keep in mind that although SSDs are MUCH more reliable than HDDs, they may also fail. In their case, data retrieval in catastrophic scenarios may be much harder than a HDD. Always keep backups, at least of you important information.

I can confirm this setup works nicely. I have a simple SSD functioning as a storage for both, OS and the files. No trouble, system boots up lightning fast, overall work experience is better than with a normal HDD :)

Agreed had one in an old Dell e1705 and the difference was very noticeable! Fast forward some years and I now have one in my M18xR1 and even with the better setup it's still as notable of a change! Especially the boot up time!! :)

I have 2 SSDs in my laptop, one for system and one for data. I know it doesn't REALLY matter, but I've always liked to separate my OS and my personal data on different drives. It seems faster, at least to me :D

I don't think there will be much of a slow-down at all with storing data on the same drive. Might want to do separate partitions though.