The Future of External Graphics Cards

Zurec

Hey People,

In mid-July i will present my Bachelor-Thesis of Industrial Design. The topic is the evolution of computing power, with the main focus on videocards. I did some research on the technological progression, aswell as the socio-cultural aspect of the future workplace.

Based on this theoretical construct, i have developed a concept of an external graphics solution. I`d like to show you some very rough and early concepts/mock ups, and i would love to hear your feedback on the main idea.

As is the focus of my university, the concept needs to be very future-oriented, so existing technological restrictions like usb-bandwith or pcb-size are no restrictions.

What you see is basically an extrapolation, of what we might see in the future.

That beeing said, here ist the main idea: Graphics cards are the part ofthe hardware that have the fastest product cycles of all computerhardware, and also the highest performance gains per generation. So we see a more and more GPU-driven workstations around. At the same time, people want to be as mobile as possible, so we see more and more ultrabooks and even tablets used for all types of work around. Of course, those are very limited in processing power, especially in graphics power. The idea of an external graphics card is not new, of course but my take isn't based on how gpus look today, but rather how one could imagine them in the future.

Basically, my concept consists of a small docking station, which contains the power supply, and the ports. The GPU(s) are inserted from the top.

Here are some early sketches and mock-ups:

usertest-present-pic07vsli.jpg

img_0033_1mfjnd.jpg

entwurf2ljoui.png

img_0051fnji7.jpg

img_0058_171jjp.jpg

img_0048_1-prsentatiorzkti.jpg

I would really like to hear your thoughts on this. Again, it should be a concept for the future, so i will extrapolate some very efficient GPUs, smaller then ever (3D-stacking, SOC-principle)

It is more a draft for the future than a concept we would see tomorrow.

Just leave any thoughts you have on this topic.

Thank you for your time!

Yes, each cube contains a gpu (chip with 3d-layered memory, controllers and miniature voltage regulators) and small vents with piezo-electric cooling elements.

It is intentional that there is a bit of science fiction involved.

I like thinking outside the box and like to see others do it.

The idea is sound and is to some extent doable but the direction everyone is heading in is a one chip that can do all the necessary demanding tasks without a cough. Maybe sooner or later in the next 10 years the first quantum computing processor will be produced to the public. And then everything you know about computer will be negligent and that technology will rule with nano tech supporting those processors.

Call me crazy i know.

I agree with infosk8er that the goal should be one chip that can do literally everything. Currently multi GPU setups are somewhat complicated, (Just think of the nasty drivers, stuttering, and so on) so I hope that these problems will be solved in future. Maybe you should try to make a sketch focused on a single gpu line up.

While working on your project I would advise to think of similar solutions already existing, like the graphics amplifiers from alienware or msi, maybe this could help or inspire you.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.