2011 11" MBA, 13" MBP, iMac + GTX970@10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + OSX10.10 [seefew

Hi there,

at 1st i have to thank to that great Forum and all the members who helped and inspired me!

some of you have waited long time, thanks for your patience.

After several hours of soldering, drilling & painting i'm now proudly to present the results.

Although it does not looks like it take many hours of work but due i´m highly visibility impaired(my viewing range is about 2“) some simple things take much more time, therefore sorry if some img´s are creepy.

about the background why i build an eGPU / a GPGPU:

I own a Macbook Pro 13“(Early2011 CTO), a Macbook Air 11“(Mid2011 CTO) and an iMac 27“(Early2011 CTO), all with Sandy Bridge i5 & i7. Also i have a 3D Printer and a 3D Scanner.

For the most normal work their performance is quite sufficient, however, if more sophisticated models to be scanned or modeled, my Mac's poking often their performance limits.

Because of i've no desire to spend a few thousand bucks in new Mac's, I decided to build eGPU / GPGPU. eGPU for my iMac & GPGPU for my MB´s.

Hardware:

• Computer:

[*]GPU´s:

• Gainward GTX970 4 GB GDDR5 (planned as GPGPU with my MB´s)
    • Zotac GTX660Ti AMP Edition 2GB GDDR5 (planned as eGPU with my iMac)

[*]PSUs

• Dell DA02 (to use with GPGPU)
    • industrial PSU 12V300W (to use with eGPU)

[*]and of course: Akitio Thunder2 PCIe Box

let's begin

@first i've dismantled the Akitio to get only the PCB´s and do the software setup on my MBP.

This step has been discussed in some Threads here several times, so I must do this not again?

If you wish i can do that of course.

(most of the Pic's linked to larger versions. Click on it for larger view)

18123107043_54bc2a5092_n.jpg

wiring on the fly for software setup

next step: electric/electronic mods

18577364080_84161ba048_n.jpg

Description of mods:

A: added Connector for 2nd Fan

B: customized 6X2 PCIe connector

C: to prevent instability added 2x4700µF/16V

B & C have insulation of Kapton tape

closer view to the current input

18717549036_b654810855_n.jpg

i've bought a Dell Optiplex including the PSU DA02 on eBay, desoldered the 4X2 housing from the PCB, desoldered the jack from the Akitio's PCB, take some 2K-glue and solder the new connector to the Akitio. For the moment the Remote pin is soldered directly to GND so the DA02 is permanently on if it's plugged in. I've replaced the wires from my provisional setup from AWG14 to AWG10, this should be quiet enough

next step: Case mods:

17999607471_ba29d2a009_n.jpg

increase the space above the PCIe

18743911095_6bc6c1e74a_n.jpg

for better cooling i´ve opend the front of the inner sleeve and inserted a second 60mm fan

because of the black design isn´t my favortite design, i´ve firstly dismantled the housing completely and bring many many layers of argent and satin lacquer to the surface.

18557762109_58821f5f41_n.jpg

Look&Feel is almost identical to my Unibody Mac's:

18717657146_378f05971b_n.jpg

isn‘t it?

Despite of the second fan in the front, the ventilation was too low to cool down the GPU, when the housing is closed.

What to do, i thought? As well as my top fav design is the Mac G5/old Pro i take my drill and drilled overall 1150 3mm holes.

And this it is how it looks like after at least 6 hours of drilling and cleaning

18556260230_e00e089b6b_n.jpg

18746447211_0353363e3c_n.jpg18556304440_0517caea8a_n.jpg

18121436814_14054c7a7d_n.jpg

18739173282_426e2767a4_n.jpg

The software installation went very smoothly both with the MB’s as well as with the iMac.

The MB's don´t have any problems during the operation. The used software recognizes the GPGPU and uses that also correct.

With my iMac I have several small problems with the eGPU.

I do not get it, not reproducible,

times it aborts the boot process and restarts automatically

times it aborts the boot process and remains frozen with a crossed out circle,

times it boots through normally.

When booted through normally,

times everything is OK,

times the screen settings where shaked up to settings i´ve never used.

Today i've made a provisional setup with the Akitio PCB's only and my Zotac GTX660Ti Amp!

There are much less problems during boot in contrast to the setup with the GTX970.

Here some img’s of it:

18615792749_9f1f7269a2_n.jpg

18614263900_e5631b0998_n.jpg

don't lol,

because of i've mounted the Zotac cooler to my GTX970 i've added an Arctic Accellero Twin to the GTX660Ti, atm i don't find the given fan so i connected a 140mm Thermalright :D.

So, that's it what I've made with the Akitio.

and finally:

Feel free to visit the album on flickr. There are some more img's

seefew's aitAC at flickr

WTH stands aitAC for?

Simple desc: it means all in the Akitio Case, regarding to Dschijn

Hope you like my build

My desk, aitAC connected as eGPU to my iMac

18717787786_c1cce0e113_n.jpg

Two Unigine Heaven Benchmarks eGPU(GTX970) vs. dGPU(Radeon HD6770M)

18556404020_6e46ae57bd_n.jpg vs. 18739185842_30f9b5bd62_n.jpg

Greets

seefew

• Thumbs Up 4

I am so glad to finally see the finished guide here. I have been poking seefew since weeks and he provided me with the latest pictures.

I really love the "Mac like" look of this Mod and the attention to detail. All Mods are so clean and precise, that I am "on fire" to do sth. similar.

Bottom line: Two thumbs way up!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello seefew,

I was noticing the capacitors and based on their placement I an guessing that they are there to mainly support under voltage on the PCI slot and the TB as they do not appear to be inline for the Supplemental PCIe power connectors. Is this how you designed it or do they Backfeed into the full power setup of your wiring.. I do really like the methodology on the PCIe board (wish I would have thought of that). Did think about the Optiplex plug replacing the barrel initially on mine but because other than pulling it from the actual computer as you did I couldn't find it and had to rethink the power delivery...

Looks great, Love the silver.

Brion

• Thumbs Up 1

@bsohn:

I've added a 2nd 4 Pin JST housing. While software setup i've used it for to power the Akitio itself. In the finished build it was initially unused. I've read threads here and found ba10s118's instabillity Fix. According to this and because i don't like any parts outside the Case i've searched a possibility to add this fix inside.

Hope this answers your question

Greets

Added pic's of my computer desk and Heaven benchmarks in the first post.

@bsohn:

I've added a 2nd 4 Pin JST housing. While software setup i've used it for to power the Akitio itself. In the finished build it was initially unused. I've read threads here and found ba10s118's instabillity Fix. According to this and because i don't like any parts outside the Case i've searched a possibility to add this fix inside.

Hope this answers your question

Greets

Added pic's of my computer desk and Heaven benchmarks in the first post.

Yea I also read about that instability on his build. The difference that I noticed between his solution and yours is that the Capacitors are in the main Primary power line before the split to the PCIe Supplemental power, where with yours they are after the split but before the Akitio and PCIe bus. I'm just wondering if this placement has the same effects on the entire system and will back power the PCIe supplementary power as well or just be over Amp protection for the board based power (TB and PCIe slot). Problem is I am not sure which area of power connection is shutting down with this issue whether it is the Akitio (doubt it) or the PCIe main connection, or the PCIe supplemental, Or if it even matters as they all run under at that moment. I have had the card shutdown once (possibly because of this instability, possibly heat overload) and am trying to think of the best way to do this and keep it internal as well, as I am sure you have seen the build that I did, and if this is a method that works it would be worth a shot.

Thank you

Brion Sohn

Sorry for my late reply, i didn't noticed.

The Caps are soldered to the same interconnect like the PCIe wires. I think the Caps can also buffers here, but pls let me do a few test runs.

I'm away for a few days for relaxing. I'll do the tests next week.

Greets

Hi, Thanks for the guide! I have made my Mba recognize gtx 750 ti under OS X 10.10.3 today. Although under system report it shows both my gtx 750 ti and intel graphics 5000, when i click about this mac, the graphic card still shows intel graphics 5000, seems like the gtx 750 ti is not under use.

post-32287-14495000380327_thumb.jpg

My question is how to I make my gtx 750 ti as the primary graphic card? Do I need an external screen connected to the graphic card? Is it possible to just use the internal screen?

Thanks.

post-32287-14495000380132_thumb.jpg

Afaik there's no possibility to use Optimus in OS X.

May anyone knows more?

With my Macbook's i use the Akitio not to connect a Display.

I need the GTX only as a GPGPU.

With my iMac the Akitio works as eGPU with connected Display, and apart from the small startup issues, also very reliable.

• 3 weeks later...
Afaik there's no possibility to use Optimus in OS X.

May anyone knows more?

With my Macbook's i use the Akitio not to connect a Display.

I need the GTX only as a GPGPU.

With my iMac the Akitio works as eGPU with connected Display, and apart from the small startup issues, also very reliable.

What about using Optimus on the iMac via windows? is this viable?

Also, did you tried to connect the imac to the Macbook via target display mode, that it to use as a secondary monitor for the Macbook?

What about using Optimus on the iMac via windows? is this viable?

Also, did you tried to connect the imac to the Macbook via target display mode, that it to use as a secondary monitor for the Macbook?

In Windows Optimus can work if the iMac can use the Intel iGPU. That will not be possible with the 5k iMac as far as i know. Also the Retina iMac is limited to run at only max 4k in Windows!

Using the iMac as a target display will still connect the iMac to the MacBooks iGPU or dGPU directly and not work as a monitor connected directly to the eGPU.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

C: to prevent instability added 2x4700µF/16V

Hello seefew.

I am doing a similar akitio thunder 2 setup using galax 970. I wonder why you have only added 2X 4700 capacitors although you have plenty of space inside. What is your rationale?

• 2 weeks later...

I´be been trying reconcile my GTX 660ti with many methods in windows but I´m starting to thing that is something wrong with the model of the card and windows, I tried with win10 and win 8.1 with no results.

As I been using the eGPU with the 660ti and OS X with instability but fully working I know that my setup is working fine.

Is your 660 working with the akitio? Please, Can you explain me the steps you followed to recognize the card in windows?

Thank you

Sorry for my long absence, much other work in the meantime.

@toxec:

Only two 4700 mF capacitors because there're no more of them here, and a extra buy I'd no desire. Moreover several test runs and measurements have shown that they are sufficient.

@Charly:

Sorry, but my "Windows" are only for to let the sunshine in my rooms and look outside my house. :);)

On my Mac's only run OS X

Greets

seefew

Mobil mit Tapatalk

Sorry for my long absence, much other work in the meantime.

@toxec:

Only two 4700 mF capacitors because there're no more of them here, and a extra buy I'd no desire. Moreover several test runs and measurements have shown that they are sufficient.

@Charly:

Sorry, but my "Windows" are only for to let the sunshine in my rooms and look outside my house. :);)

On my Mac's only run OS X

Greets

seefew

Mobil mit Tapatalk

JUAJSUAJSUAJSU XD So funny, never heard it before

Is the same with me, but now with the eGPU I want to try some games and most of them are in Win

• 3 months later...

Hi seefew!

1. On photo you posted on Akitio pcb can be seen third power connector. It you have added?

connector.thumb.jpg.19429a04bfc1324899c8

2. Also, the capacitor can be seen, in my Akitio there is no such. It you have added?

capacitor.thumb.jpg.6ef59a81013478971310

3. As seen in the photo the power wires (red and black) from external PSU go only to GPU. How is powered Akitio pcb?

4. Akitio pcb (big) have a some marked and unused places. May be you know, what they are for?

I think it looks like a the power scheme...

unused.thumb.jpg.f8e6658570cbc8ef26f9a1c