Jump to content
EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
euqlaog

[SCRIPT] Automating the installation of eGPU on OS X (inc display output)

Recommended Posts

Anyone know if this step is required for all eGPUs on OSX? The part to modify kext with board ID? In some circumstances is this eGPU screen output enabled by default without modifying kexts?

  • Detects your Mac board-id and enables eGPU screen output

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, esatamod said:

Anyone know if this step is required for all eGPUs on OSX? The part to modify kext with board ID? In some circumstances is this eGPU screen output enabled by default without modifying kexts?

  • Detects your Mac board-id and enables eGPU screen output

I noticed that you have a Hackintosh. My script is designed only for Thunderbolt Macs. OS X in non-Apple hardware doesn’t equal to OS X in Mac, and therefore we cannot assume that the same mod would work on your system. eGPU screen output is enabled by default with any AMD card regardless of the Mac board-id, and the script does only the modification when it’s necessary with an Nvidia eGPU. It’s not just about kext mods but also taking into account multi-slot enclosures and 2015 Macs’ different boot behaviour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, goalque said:

I noticed that you have a Hackintosh. My script is designed only for Thunderbolt Macs. OS X in non-Apple hardware doesn’t equal to OS X in Mac, and therefore we cannot assume that the same mod would work on your system. eGPU screen output is enabled by default with any AMD card regardless of the Mac board-id, and the script does only the modification when it’s necessary with an Nvidia eGPU. It’s not just about kext mods but also taking into account multi-slot enclosures and 2015 Macs’ different boot behaviour.

thanks for reply! Would I have better luck with an AMD/Radeon HD 4850 in my pe4L expresscard eGPU setup? I thought I was close because I have Nvidia Chip Model show up in system profiler with my GTX460, but maybe I'm in over my head?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, goalque said:

@solo_man

Do as the script says. If still the same, you have a faulty TB enclosure or it's not properly powered.

sorry for my idiot question,how to set it as the script says,i can't understand what's the meaning "hot-plug the thunderbolt cable",and i can't google any result neither.

one more thing i noticed when i use my egpu on winows10,there is only one thunderbolt can be used,if i plug in the other TB the system would not be launch,so i suspect where I did not set correctly.

 

thanks for you patient!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On January 17, 2016 at 5:59 PM, goalque said:

@brlewis219

I can’t verify the current status on Yosemite. I recall something that a 2014 Mac mini was unable to boot after the Yosemite security update 14F1021. Haven’t tried since then. Since you have a bootable system, this is likely something else. What actually doesn't work? Can you run the script with -clpeak option?

 

If you have modified kexts manually, the script can’t handle that situation. It’s worth to try NVRAM reset and OS X reinstall before updating to El Capitan.

 

On January 17, 2016 at 5:59 PM, goalque said:

@brlewis219

I can’t verify the current status on Yosemite. I recall something that a 2014 Mac mini was unable to boot after the Yosemite security update 14F1021. Haven’t tried since then. Since you have a bootable system, this is likely something else. What actually doesn't work? Can you run the script with -clpeak option?

 

If you have modified kexts manually, the script can’t handle that situation. It’s worth to try NVRAM reset and OS X reinstall before updating to El Capitan.

I’m currently running 10.11.2. I’m thinking about upgrading to 10.11.3. If I upgrade to 10.11.3, will I need to reinstall automate-eGPU.sh? Or is that just for big upgrades? Also, if I won’t have to reinstall it, will I be able to upgrade to the new driver right from Nvidia’s site, or will I have to run automate-eGPU.sh for that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No need to reinstall the script. Whenever you decide to upgrade, you have two paths after the OS X upgrade:

1) If the -a mode is turned on, simply click OK:

 

15D21.thumb.png.6c64e1e95b61c16615974684

 

*** automate-eGPU.sh v0.9.8 - (c) 2015 by Goalque ***
-------------------------------------------------------
Detected eGPU
 GM204 [GeForce GTX 980]
Current OS X
 10.11.3 15D21
Previous OS X
 10.11.2 15C50
Latest installed Nvidia web driver
 Version: 346.03.04f02
 Source: 3rd Party
 Install Date: 1/20/16, 7:04 PM

Checking IOPCITunnelCompatible keys...

Missing IOPCITunnelCompatible keys.
Mac board-id not found.
Searching for matching driver...

Driver [346.03.05f01] found from:
http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/346.03.05f01/WebDriver-346.03.05f01.pkg
Do you want to download this driver (y/n)?
y
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 69.2M  100 69.2M    0     0  5344k      0  0:00:13  0:00:13 --:--:-- 5431k
Driver downloaded.
Removing validation checks...
Modified package ready. Do you want to install (y/n)?
y
installer: Package name is NVIDIA Web Driver 346.03.05f01
installer: Upgrading at base path /
installer: The upgrade was successful.
installer: The install requires restarting now.
Checking IOPCITunnelCompatible keys...

Missing IOPCITunnelCompatible keys.
IOPCITunnelCompatible mods done.
Board-id added.
All ready. Please restart the Mac.


2) If the -a mode is turned off, open terminal, type “sudo automate-eGPU.sh”, press enter and restart the Mac.

 

In both cases you can keep the eGPU plugged during the whole update process. If you see Nvidia driver manager’s message about the new driver, click “Not Now”. All the updates can be done by rerunning the script.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On January 20, 2016 at 1:05 PM, goalque said:

No need to reinstall the script. Whenever you decide to upgrade, you have two paths after the OS X upgrade:

1) If the -a mode is turned on, simply click OK:

 

15D21.thumb.png.6c64e1e95b61c16615974684

 


*** automate-eGPU.sh v0.9.8 - (c) 2015 by Goalque ***
-------------------------------------------------------
Detected eGPU
 GM204 [GeForce GTX 980]
Current OS X
 10.11.3 15D21
Previous OS X
 10.11.2 15C50
Latest installed Nvidia web driver
 Version: 346.03.04f02
 Source: 3rd Party
 Install Date: 1/20/16, 7:04 PM

Checking IOPCITunnelCompatible keys...

Missing IOPCITunnelCompatible keys.
Mac board-id not found.
Searching for matching driver...

Driver [346.03.05f01] found from:
http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/346.03.05f01/WebDriver-346.03.05f01.pkg
Do you want to download this driver (y/n)?
y
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 69.2M  100 69.2M    0     0  5344k      0  0:00:13  0:00:13 --:--:-- 5431k
Driver downloaded.
Removing validation checks...
Modified package ready. Do you want to install (y/n)?
y
installer: Package name is NVIDIA Web Driver 346.03.05f01
installer: Upgrading at base path /
installer: The upgrade was successful.
installer: The install requires restarting now.
Checking IOPCITunnelCompatible keys...

Missing IOPCITunnelCompatible keys.
IOPCITunnelCompatible mods done.
Board-id added.
All ready. Please restart the Mac.


2) If the -a mode is turned off, open terminal, type “sudo automate-eGPU.sh”, press enter and restart the Mac.

 

In both cases you can keep the eGPU plugged during the whole update process. If you see Nvidia driver manager’s message about the new driver, click “Not Now”. All the updates can be done by rerunning the script.

I’ve noticed that ever since I ran automate-eGPU.sh, I’ve had an issue with Spaces where I’ll set each Space to use a different background, and then the next time I boot my MacBook, the Spaces revert back to the default background. It’s funny, I had this issue before I upgraded to El Capitan and got my eGPU, but then it was fixed by El Capitan. But then it came back when I ran automate-eGPU.

Has anyone else noticed this issue? Is there a solution?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve noticed that ever since I ran automate-eGPU.sh, I’ve had an issue with Spaces where I’ll set each Space to use a different background, and then the next time I boot my MacBook, the Spaces revert back to the default background. It’s funny, I had this issue before I upgraded to El Capitan and got my eGPU, but then it was fixed by El Capitan. But then it came back when I ran automate-eGPU.

Has anyone else noticed this issue? Is there a solution? Is uninstalling automate-eGPU.sh the only way to fix Spaces? Or is there another way?

 

Edited by jfraser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Macbook Pro early 2011
OS 10.11 EL Capitan
EGPU : AKiTiO Thunder2 + 220W Dell DA-2 + EVGA GTX 950 FTW

 

i try  manually edit the kext file follow http://maxserve.blogspot.jp/2014/08/macosx-1094-how-to-recognize-GPGPU.html

 

or 

 

try auto EGPU.SH 

and both pop up same issue kernel panic problem after edited and reboot the OS


Now i already reinstall the OS twice~~~ anything information i was missed ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, goalque said:

@hitsilent

Don’t touch the kext files manually. If you have done so, NVRAM & SMC reset, erase & reinstall OS X.

 

Yes. now i was reinstall the OSX (without Erase anything), so now i need to do NVRAM and SMC and run the Automating SH script  it should work ? im scared i have to 3rd installation again today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once I had to erase everything. Normal OS X reinstall didn’t help. That’s the last option.

 

Try first NVRAM & SMC reset, a normal reinstall, disable SIP, and then run the script. It will make a backup of the original kext files automatically. If the kernel panic occurs, it’s likely an Nvidia web driver issue. The system log indicates what went wrong.

 

Also check if you have an affected MBP:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, goalque said:

Once I had to erase everything. Normal OS X reinstall didn’t help. That’s the last option.

 

Try first NVRAM & SMC reset, a normal reinstall, disable SIP, and then run the script. It will make a backup of the original kext files automatically. If the kernel panic occurs, it’s likely an Nvidia web driver issue. The system log indicates what went wrong.

 

Also check if you have an affected MBP:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

i tried my 3rd time today, still same issue. my MBP is Macbook pro early 2011 13"inch. Apple's Video issue just for 15"~17" model available to select . i was still not sure is that video issue problem or not. 

 

i just toke a snap shot of that issue and the syslog after I run the script. can you please take a look ~ thanks~!!

syslog.thumb.png.cd0b772cd5bc61a2b95eab7

 

aaa.thumb.JPG.6d7108b9825167504447548bbb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The backtrace of the kernel panic indicates of AppleHDA.kext. The current script doesn't touch to this. But you did earlier, right? Even if you reinstalled the OS X, it may be possible that the faulty kext is loaded from the cache.

 

Can you boot into OS X after NVRAM reset, without eGPU?

 

If not, try in safe mode, uninstall the script and restart normally. Open console and search from the log what happened during that "kernel panic" startup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On January 20, 2016 at 5:50 PM, portwolf said:

Working on 10.11.3 yet?

Just wanted to verify before updating El Captain from Beta.

 

 

I was running my akitio setup with nvidia 970 fine until 10.11.3 but after updating It I started facing problems and haven't found a solution yet (didn't pay much attention too). When I am running it on mac it recognizes it as an external display rather than a graphic card. Under windows It detects 970 and nvidia panel shows as everything works fine. Thus it is computing everything on the integrated gpu. Games do not detect directx and do not start up. Same results with both of my macbooks. I also wonder if anyone knows whats up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, toxec said:

I was running my akitio setup with nvidia 970 fine until 10.11.3 but after updating It I started facing problems and haven't found a solution yet (didn't pay much attention too). When I am running it on mac it recognizes it as an external display rather than a graphic card. Under windows It detects 970 and nvidia panel shows as everything works fine. Thus it is computing everything on the integrated gpu. Games do not detect directx and do not start up. Same results with both of my macbooks. I also wonder if anyone knows whats up. 

How did you update? Did you follow my posted procedure?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, goalque said:

The backtrace of the kernel panic indicates of AppleHDA.kext. The current script doesn't touch to this. But you did earlier, right? Even if you reinstalled the OS X, it may be possible that the faulty kext is loaded from the cache.

 

Can you boot into OS X after NVRAM reset, without eGPU?

 

If not, try in safe mode, uninstall the script and restart normally. Open console and search from the log what happened during that "kernel panic" startup.

thanks for all the reply , i just disable the FileVault. now everything running good, i can see my GTX 950. now i have to figure out how to make the graphic card run performance ~~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, goalque said:

How did you update? Did you follow my posted procedure?

Now my problem is similar as toxec said, my Mac OS can detect the GTX 950 , but when i first boot on with EGPU+DELL DA-2 and TB cable, it cause issue then my MAC reboot again, and i screen cut the issue. it show few backtrace :

com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily, IONDRVSupport, com.nvidia.web.NVDAResumanWeb, etc..

 

after that issue, Graphic card fan doesn't run any more, the performance is nothing different than my Intel HD 3000, but it show GTX 950 in the Graphic Card system information.

 

picture as below:

Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 1.04.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 1.35.02 AM.png

Edited by hitsilent
add more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I run sudo ./automate-EGPU.sh, I get this error:

 

nvram: Error getting variable - 'csr-active-config': (iokit/common) data was not found

Boot into recovery partition and type: csrutil disable

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

My setup is a MBR 15 inch late 2013  (switchable to GT 750m

OSX 10.11.2 

GTX970 mini

Akitio Thunder 2 enclosure with 220watt Dell Power Brick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ljwebb236 said:

When I run sudo ./automate-EGPU.sh, I get this error:

 

nvram: Error getting variable - 'csr-active-config': (iokit/common) data was not found

Boot into recovery partition and type: csrutil disable

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

My setup is a MBR 15 inch late 2013  (switchable to GT 750m

OSX 10.11.2 

GTX970 mini

Akitio Thunder 2 enclosure with 220watt Dell Power Brick

 

You have to disable System Integration Protection (SIP). Simply do what is written in the second line. Boot into recovery mode, open a terminal and run "csrutil disable". Needs to stay disabled after the installation, too.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I've run the script and got a successful response.  However, my 2015 Macbook Air running 10.11.3 detects a generic NVIDIA GPU instead of the 750 ti that is connected.  Also, external monitor is not responding or being detected by the computer.  The script ran successfully and I re-ran it and got the below confirmation. What am I doing wrong?

 

Last login: Tue Jan 26 14:35:41 on console

USER$ chmod +x ~/Desktop/automate-eGPU.sh

USER$ cd ~/Desktop

USER:Desktop USER$ sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh

Password:

*** automate-eGPU.sh v0.9.8 - (c) 2015 by Goalque ***

-------------------------------------------------------

Detected eGPU

GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti]

Current OS X

10.11.3 15D21

Previous OS X

10.11.2 15C50

Latest installed Nvidia web driver

Version: 346.03.05f01

Source: 3rd Party

Install Date: 1/26/16, 2:19 PM

Checking IOPCITunnelCompatible keys...

IOPCITunnelCompatible mods are valid.

Mac board-id found.

Searching for matching driver...

Your system is eGPU enabled and Nvidia web driver is up to date.

USER:Desktop USER$

Edited by viniguez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, hitsilent said:

thanks for all the reply , i just disable the FileVault. now everything running good, i can see my GTX 950. now i have to figure out how to make the graphic card run performance ~~

Set the external monitor as primary and uncheck “displays have separate spaces”.

 

@viniguez Turn on automatic mode:

"sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -a" and restart the Mac.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, goalque said:

Set the external monitor as primary and uncheck “displays have separate spaces”.

 

@viniguez Turn on automatic mode:

"sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -a" and restart the Mac.

 

Hey goalque!! Thank you so much for all of your work and for replying! I tried the "-a" command and it still reads as a generic NVIDIA GPU under System.  I ran the uninstall command, restarted the Mac, then reinstalled it, then ran the automatic mode again.  Still nada.  Any other tips? Also are you taking donations for all your hard work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.