[SCRIPT] Automating the installation of eGPU on OS X (inc display output)

euqlaog

4 minutes ago, goalque said:

“For commercial purposes” means, for example, selling or advertising the script itself, its abilities and functions in OS X, or using the script with some product/software to make profit. That is prohibited.

Than You should write exactly this. ;-) Actual Your license prohibit any(!) commercial use. This includes the installing of the driver for commercial renderings. Your license text is clear.

Edited by Uhlhorn

25 minutes ago, Uhlhorn said:

Than You should write exactly this. ;-) Actual Your license prohibit any(!) commercial use. This includes the installing of the driver for commercial renderings. Your license text is clear.

You may be right if we are precise. I didn’t thought your use case, everything is linked together ;)

Well, now it’s clear :D

Edited by goalque

6 hours ago, Uhlhorn said:

Whats about BiZon? Do You have problems with them?

Technically, the MIT license made it possible, but I never wanted that the script would end up into a shady business area. They don't support macOS Sierra currently, and hopefully not in the future:

https://bizon-tech.com/us/faq-egpu/#egpu10

I can't change the license of forked versions up to v0.9.8 which are under the MIT.

If someone sees that bizon-tech uses macOS Sierra, please report.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi everyone.

To begin, thanks for share a lot of good experiences here. Very useful. 

I'm new in eGPU and I wanna mount one next month. After hours of reading articles and posts here. I have a question. 

New AMD GPU is the best GPU for eGPU? I understood this after read the macOS Sierra already have driver for this GPUs. 

If yes, I saw in the script readme just Nano version. But I wanna buy the Fury version. Can I use the same script?

thanks guys. 

On September 8, 2016 at 2:46 PM, goalque said:

@MartyF81

It’s up to Nvidia. Sierra GM says:

Searching for matching driver...

No web driver yet available for build [16A319].

v0.9.9 remains the last one, let’s hope for an extended life cycle. If it doesn’t work, I don’t have time to provide support. Unfortunately. It has been a great adventure with you all!

I am not in a hurry with the EFI app.

Can you tell me how you searched for it?  I would like to be able to check before I upgrade to Sierra.

1 hour ago, leendert said:

Well im running it on my late 2012 Mac mini and the script works fine under macOS Sierra. Maybe it depends on what machine your using? Or it was something in the golden master... 

Schermafbeelding 2016-09-21 om 12.54.20 PM.png

Hey, could you please check what nvidia web driver is installed - beta or final?

This automated script does not seem to work too well for me in Sierra. I am using a Radeon HD 7970 with a MBP 15" 2011 with an AMD 6750M. Installation of the script appears to work fine, but then when starting the GPU with a display plugged into it, the screen flickers with weird artifacts when logging in, and the GPU isn't listed in my rendering app anymore (Indigo Renderer). I guess this might not be the scripts fault though, I wouldn't know. :)

The script did not work for me in Sierra GM build, however, I was able to work out the issue.  Sierra evidently uses a new procedure for rebuilding the kernel cache (I wish I knew why Apple feels the need to change this in every new OS release).  This got it going for me once the web driver kext was modified.

YMMV

sudo mv /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel.old
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -u /

1 minute ago, djmcgreal said:

I'm looking for a quick summary, sorry.

What does this being discontinued mean? Should I expect it not to work? Especially, with upgrading to Sierra, with a GTX970 in a Thunder2, can I upgrade?

The developer of this project,  @goalque , has decided to no longer work on this project in favor of his new project that works at an EFI level (not yet released from what I can tell).

That being said, I have run this script on Sierra with a GTX970 and it is working for me.  At this stage it is more a matter of if the Manufacturer of the GPU has released drivers for the MacOS version that you are running. The situation could change if Apple changes something in the OS or something changes on the NVIDIA or AMD side for location of Drivers.

2 hours ago, Uhlhorn said:

Can anyone continue adapting the script to new versions of macOS until the EFI version is ready?

According to a previous post from @goalque no it cannot, except individuals modifying the script for themselves locally and NOT publishing any changes.  The license prohibits it.

54 minutes ago, Uhlhorn said:

Okay, but this does not help. I’m not able to modify the script.

Do I have to throw away my eGPU now? How can I get my eGPU to work again?

The Script still works as of right now. I have used it to get my eGPU working on MacOS Sierra.  However, it may not work for you if the Manufacturer of your Video Card has not released updated Drivers for your Card.

eGPU's do not require this script to work.  This script just made it easier to do... and @goalque was kind enough to make it free of charge. However, he is no longer working on it to work on a better project. If for some reason a change to MacOS breaks this.. then we are on our own.. unless he has released his new program by then.

The license is restricted to prevent his work from being stolen, modified, and published because some commercial sellers of eGPUs were taking this script and including it with their hardware. 

So if someone else were to take his script... and "fix" it.. and then publish it.. the commercial sellers could take the modified script and include it again as if it was their own work. Which is stealing.

9 minutes ago, MartyF81 said:

GPU's do not require this script to work.

But to install a driver update. So, without script the work with the eGPU will end in near future.

10 minutes ago, MartyF81 said:

and @goalque was kind enough to make it free of charge.

I would pay for this script or a software like this. This is no question.

11 minutes ago, MartyF81 said:

because some commercial sellers of eGPUs were taking this script and including it with their hardware. 

Yes, the script was free to use for everyone! There was no exception defined. What is the problem now with commercial sellers? And why was it no problem before? I do not understand it.

1 minute ago, Uhlhorn said:

But to install a driver update. So, without script the work with the eGPU will end in near future.

No it is not required at all. All this script does.. is "Automate" the process. It makes it easier, but is not required.

4 minutes ago, Uhlhorn said:

I would pay for this script or a software like this. This is no question.

I am sure you, and many other people would. However the creator is not making it for sale.. which is his choice.

5 minutes ago, Uhlhorn said:

Yes, the script was free to use for everyone! There was no exception defined. What is the problem now with commercial sellers? And why was it no problem before? I do not understand it.

The script still is free for everyone to use. It just cannot be bundled in some type of commercial process, or modified. It wasn't a problem when he started this project because it was more of a friendly project and nobody was stealing it to make money... but then someone ruined it and stole this to "sell" their hardware.  So he has changed the terms of use with the .99 version to limit its use.

It is his decision to do so, and unless he changes his mind.. there is nothing to be done about it. His work, his rules.

Just now, MartyF81 said:

No it is not required at all. All this script does.. is "Automate" the process. It makes it easier, but is not required.

It is required for an average user, which normally can not use terminals. And I am not able to install it manually.

3 minutes ago, MartyF81 said:

… but then someone ruined it and stole this to "sell" their hardware.

They provide the script with their hardware as a service to their customer. They could provide a link too. The effect would be the same.

@goalque was not taking money for his script and he will not take money in future. He had no economic harm. So, where is the problem?!? I do not understand it.

1 hour ago, Uhlhorn said:

It is required for an average user, which normally can not use terminals. And I am not able to install it manually.

Understood, I require it as well.

They provide the script with their hardware as a service to their customer. They could provide a link too. The effect would be the same.

Not exactly. What they are doing is buying hardware that costs roughly $400.... and then advertising this as a complete solution with software included for about $1000. So they make $600+ profit for doing mostly nothing except giving the equipment and software together.  They also include this script as "software" of their own and do not really tell their customers that the software is freeware they are taking from someone else.

@goalque was not taking money for his script and he will not take money in future. He had no economic harm. So, where is the problem?!? I do not understand it.

Economics is beside the point. The creator of this does not want his software being used to rip of other people. It was never about him making, or losing, money. It is about someone else taking his creation and using it to make an excessive profit on someone else.

I do not understand it.

It really doesn't matter if you understand it, or agree with it.  It is his decision.  It was discussed at length in this thread... as well as others.  He has decided what he wants to do, it is up to him if he wants to change his mind.  Anybody who breaks the rules he has set forth are violating the license agreement for use of his software. This is his right as the creator of this script to make that decision.

I would strongly suggest dropping this and let it be.  He is working on a project that is better... and I do not think arguing with him about a project he has decided to discontinue... will make him want to continue his new effort... or decide to publish it.

• Thumbs Up 2