[SCRIPT] Automating the installation of eGPU on OS X (inc display output)

euqlaog

Hi @goalque

I know you are probably really busy, but I'm eagerly awaiting the updated version of your script / app you hinted at a few pages back. How is that project coming along? Is there a way to follow progress on it? Or will it be a bit more closed-source as to avoid scams such as the Bizon box?

Anyway, still a big thanks for your contributions to this community and the great script! Running it myself right now on a Macbook Pro Mid 2014 with 750m + GTX960 on OS X 10.010.4.

Edited by juniordiscart

@Proph

If the nvram command says <00> just before the next “hang” reboot, I don’t have a clue why it works only every other time.

@juniordiscart

The release is delayed because I’m not sure about the licensing. It will be a free demo app and in binary form. GNU-EFI doesn’t contain the necessary protocol so I had to include a header file from the EDK2. They are both under BSD. The current MIT license allows commercial purposes, but that may not be the case with this EFI app.

@goalque

ok I think Im done with my eGPU project for now, cant work with that black screen boot process

thank you for your help anyway, I will watch this topic maybe there will be someone with the same problem who can find a solution

best regards

Yes tried another TB port and even tried to restore original AppleGraphicControl.kext with kextwizard.
Still black screen after reboot. Dont know why I can reboot after hotplug the eGPU, even see the 970GTX in display but after shut down or reboot again I get stuck in the black screen.

Thanks for the info. SMC reset and erase & reinstall OS X also tried? Please describe your power configuration since III-D provides only one 6-pin connector?

Your III-D is likely causing this problem and requires the right timing in TB connection.

Edited by goalque

@goalque

You mean a SMC reset before I erase the HDD and reinstall OSX? I just erase the HDD and reinstall the OSX, is there a difference when I do a SMS reset just before reinstall?

Im using Adaptare 36052 to split the 6-pin to 2x6pin for the GTX 970.

My computer becomes so slow, specially when I'm playing a video on the internet even my mouse moves so slowly. At the beginning I hadn't any problems, but after restarting my computer, the problem began to start !!!!! Do you guys have any idea, how to fix that?

Edited by shirazigs

• 4 weeks later...
On 24 April 2016 at 8:22 AM, shirazigs said:

My computer becomes so slow, specially when I'm playing a video on the internet even my mouse moves so slowly. At the beginning I hadn't any problems, but after restarting my computer, the problem began to start !!!!! Do you guys have any idea, how to fix that?

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8880-perfomance-boost-when-disabling-internal-monitor/

if you’re using only CUDA accelerated apps ->

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/7989-script-automating-the-installation-of-egpu-on-os-x-inc-display-output/&page=23#comment-138038

Edited by goalque
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/12/2016 at 5:30 AM, goalque said:

A quick fix,

1) sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -uninstall and restart the Mac

2) Change the line 62 of the script to: config_board_ids=()

3) sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh and restart the Mac

It gave me this message "command not found" should I do something before that? 

I typed sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -uninstall in Terminal and then I pressed return key, after putting my password I got that message. A few times i tried but I got same message.

Edited by shirazigs

14 hours ago, Muadi said:

Apple just release there new OS update 10.11.5.  Any success with this working with eGPUs or does it break it?

13 hours ago, shirazigs said:

Good Question. It's my question as well. 

Yes, it's working. nVidia drivers update is available.

• Thumbs Up 3

Thanks so much goalie I been two weeks following tutorials but I did miss something... Now my eGPU with GTX960 is working ... Just I have a small problem that I have not sound throw the HDMI and I have not option in the Preference > Sound > Output.

Do you have any idea why?

Thanks again ... If I find the answer I will post it asap..

Hi I still can't get this script to work. Can someone help me with it?

I am now running the Akitio case using a Silverstone 450W psu, and have a EVGA GTX 980 SC video card in it. I have it plugged into my Mac Mini (OS X 10.10.3) and ran the script but when I restart my mini crashes and goes into an infinite loop of loading / crash.

When I plug the eGPU in after the Mini has loaded I can go into the System Report / Display's and it show's the card is found, but just as a general card.

For some reason I don't think the script is installing anything. I have attached the readout from Terminal when I installed:

mrmedia:~ mrmedia$ curl -o ~/Desktop/automate-eGPU.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/goalque/automate-eGPU/master/automate-eGPU.sh
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 37925  100 37925    0     0  13262      0  0:00:02  0:00:02 --:--:-- 13260
mrmedia:~ mrmedia$ chmod +x ~/Desktop/automate-eGPU.sh
mrmedia:~ mrmedia$ cd ~/Desktop
mrmedia:Desktop mrmedia$ sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh
Password:
*** automate-eGPU.sh v0.9.8 - (c) 2015 by Goalque ***
-------------------------------------------------------
Detected eGPU
 GM204 [GeForce GTX 980]
Current OS X
 10.10.3 14D136
Previous OS X
 [not found]
Latest installed Nvidia web driver
 Version: 346.01.02f04
 Source: 3rd Party
 Install Date: 3/18/16, 2:59 PM

You are running official Nvidia driver.
Checking IOPCITunnelCompatible keys...

Missing IOPCITunnelCompatible keys.
Mac board-id not found.
Searching for matching driver...

Driver [346.01.02f04] found from:
http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/346.01.02f04/WebDriver-346.01.02f04.pkg
Do you want to download this driver (y/n)?
y
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 48.0M  100 48.0M    0     0  1229k      0  0:00:40  0:00:40 --:--:-- 1253k
Driver downloaded.
Removing validation checks...
Modified package ready. Do you want to install (y/n)?
y
installer: Package name is NVIDIA Web Driver 346.01.02f04
installer: Upgrading at base path /
installer: The upgrade failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)
Checking IOPCITunnelCompatible keys...

Missing IOPCITunnelCompatible keys.
IOPCITunnelCompatible mods done.
Board-id added.
All ready. Please restart the Mac.
mrmedia:Desktop mrmedia$ 

Screen Shot 2016-05-21 at 7.36.55 pm.png

Edited by pixxelpusher

@Rootes
The script does not support HDMI audio.

@pixxelpusher

Better stick to latest OS X versions. Nvidia offers only beta drivers for Maxwell cards and infinite loops are not surprise. Apple’s security update 14F1021 is a good example of what you described. I don’t know about 10.10.3 14D136 but could be the the reason. Another common reason is manually edited kexts.

By the way, GTX 780 still beats GTX 980 in OpenGL (Valley benchmark) due to Nvidia’s optimizations for Kepler architecture. If your purpose is gaming on OS X, Maxwell cards won’t give you any boost.

@goalque

Thanks for the reply. So what OS X should I be running with your script? No I have never manually edited any kexts, wouldn't know how. I just followed your steps on the first page.

Can you look at the Terminal info I posted, is there anything there you can see causing the error? Any other code you can give me to get it working? Thanks.

Edited by pixxelpusher

1 hour ago, pixxelpusher said:

@goalque

Thanks for the reply. So what OS X should I be running with your script? No I have never manually edited any kexts, wouldn't know how. I just followed your steps on the first page.

Can you look at the Terminal info I posted, is there anything there you can see causing the error? Any other code you can give me to get it working? Thanks.

Yes, there is an error message:

installer: The upgrade failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)

I’ve never seen this. Nvidia web driver installer failed for some reason. Try sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -uninstall, restart the Mac and run again sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh

If still the same, update to the latest OS X Yosemite version which is 10.10.5 (14F1808).

Edited by goalque

Has anyone tried running an eGPU & Windows 10? The 980Ti works beautifully in osx on the 5k iMac as render nodes for my profession, but now I want to use it for gaming on Windows 10. I've got everything set up and booting from a thunderbolt SSD. Windows sees the hardware but it gives me an error:

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

The SSD is part of an OWC Thunderbay Mini 4. It has 4 ssd's inside and 1 of them is my windows boot drive. Single tb cable running to the iMac from the enclosure. The eGPU is running to the second tb port on the iMac. Not sure what I can do to free up 'resources', but I thought I would ask to see if anyone has made this work. Internal card is AMD.

NVidia Experience sees the card and downloads the latest drivers, but when I reboot after, it still has Code 12 and Nvidia wants to redownload the same drivers. Hope someone knows something that can help. Cheers!