[SCRIPT] Automating the installation of eGPU on OS X (inc display output)

euqlaog

Hi. @goalque

Thank you for your information. 

I tried to change DP version to 1.1 on OSD menu. (free sync is already off)

My mac could boot successfully on your solution. 

But i can not use 3840x2160@60hz.

My monitor works only 2560x1440 60hz.

Did you have other solution?

image.jpeg

Edited by Andrea.Kang

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I'm getting the following when I run the script. Any help would be appreciated - should I boot into recovery and follow instructions there? 

nvram: Error getting variable - 'csr-active-config': (iokit/common) data was not found
Boot into recovery partition and type: csrutil disable

EDIT: Ah, I've realised the issue may be that I'm running 10.11.4? 

Edited by charliehsmith

Hi. @goalque
I tried to connect the samsung UHD monitor directly to the eGPU with a DP to DP cable.

But i got same result.
On the DP 1.1 mode, mac could boot. and it displays only  2560x1440 60Hz(maximum).
On the DP 1.2 mode, mac could not boot.

Interestingly, mac could boot when UHD Monitor was turned off.
I think samsung UHD monitor is not compatible with mac.

Lastly, Could you tell me OSD settings on your UHD Monitor?
(screenshot?)

Thank you.

_SAM1545.JPG

_SAM1544.JPG

Hey there 

I've been using this post to make my egpu and have managed to get my mac mini to detect it.

OSX.jpg

I benchmarked it on Tomb Raider and got a respectable 180 fps or so, however when I play League of Legends no matter how I set my display setting I can't get it to go over 20 fps. I tried reinstalling the game but that made no difference.

I also tried SC2 and it was stuck at 0 fps on fullscreen, I changed it to windowed mode and it got a little better but still froze every couple of seconds.

I tried a load of other games like, Tomb Raider, GTA SA, CS:GO and Minecraft and they all played better then my igpu.

However other games like, Total War: Shogun2, Middle-earth: SOM and Diablo 3 all had graphic glitches and/or would freeze every couple of seconds.

I really only play LOL and SC2 so its kind of annoying to have to switch over my HDMI whenever I feel like playing.

Does anyone have any idea why some games are working better then my igpu and others are worse?

Thanks in advance.

Kane

@charliehsmith

Yes, do as the script says.

@Andrea.Kang

Due to AMD FreeSync you cannot use DP 1.2 and apparently DP 1.1 is not capable of showing UHD resolution.

I’m still on OS X 10.11.2, and works great via DP 1.2 as well.

MacMini3840x2160.jpg

@Kane

In OS X, it varies a lot how compatible the app/game is with an eGPU OpenGL/Metal API.

@Kane

There is no universal solution. It is a game programmer’s responsibility to choose the acceleration API, an active GPU for OpenGL/Metal view, and adapt to renderer changes. OS X is not a good gaming platform. Nvidia has to keep up with the Apple’s changes and it results in bugs. The future is Metal, but the API needs refinement,

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20043464897?page=1

I'm sorry for being a noob, but there is so much information regarding the eGPU topic that its getting mind boggling to take it all in.

My question is, i have a MBP with the AMD M370x, I'm interested in doing an eGPU (obviously why I'm here) with either a GTX 970 or a comparable AMD card. My understanding is this automate script is focused around Nvidia cards, which Im fine with that. Is my MBP's dedicated AMD GPU gonna put a hamper on the setup of this in OS X? 

Please forgive my noobness, I'm def no noob to PC building and knowledge of components and assembly but eGPU is a new thing for me.

Edited by Rttr84

@Rttr84 In OSX that is no problem. Please keep in mind that you should use an external monitor if you want to game with the eGPU and that the internal display might be laggy and not of use when using with an eGPU+external Monitor.

Are you still useing the AKiTiO PSU? If yes, DO NOT USE IT!

The riser you have is a x1 or x4? Why not get a x16? Riser are in general the weakest part in a eGPU system. Can you test without the riser and make a barrel mod to power the AKiTiO with the 600W PSU?

• Thumbs Up 1

@goalque

Hey man, can you take a look at what's going on on the netkas forum? Can we do anything to help you guys settle this thing out?

My egpu is just sitting on my desk for months now and it's just catching dust. I can't do anything with it.

Thanks a lot.

1 hour ago, Dschijn said:

Are you still useing the AKiTiO PSU? If yes, DO NOT USE IT!

The riser you have is a x1 or x4? Why not get a x16? Riser are in general the weakest part in a eGPU system. Can you test without the riser and make a barrel mod to power the AKiTiO with the 600W PSU?

Thanks for your help Dschijn

I have a PCI-Express 1x to 16x Powered Riser Extension Card with flex ribbon cable

I tested the card without the riser. nothing have happened, just the fans of the GPU were trying to rotate!

B.jpg

A.jpg

Hi Dschijn! Thanks for your help. I read the basic guide after that I made the Power Plug. It seems everything is great, but my computer doesn't recognize my GPU properly ! I ran automate-eGPU.sh install Nvidia Web Driver, and CUDA. Also the resolution of my screen became so small like a square.  

Geforce GTX 980 Ti

iMac 27 5k a 4k monitor

My OS is mac 10.11.4

BB.jpg

Screen-Shot-2016-04-09-at-10.36.08-PM.jpg

Screen-Shot-2016-04-09-at-9.56.34-PM.jpg

Edited by shirazigs

Thanks again. I've rebooted it at least 15 times. At the beginning the Script didn't work for me and couldn't find any help, afterwords I followed this:

1. Reboot the Mac and hold down Command + R keys simultaneously after you hear the startup chime, this will boot OS X into Recovery Mode
2. When the “OS X Utilities” screen appears, pull down the ‘Utilities’ menu at the top of the screen instead, and choose “Terminal”
3. Type the following command into the terminal then hit return: csrutil disable; reboot
(curtesy of: http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/05/disabl...)

File Edit Locations:
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext­/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kex­t
/System/Library/Extensions/IONDRVSupport­.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartup.k­ext

Edit Code:
key IOPCITunnelCompatible /key
true/

Terminal code once finished: 
sudo kextcache -system-caches 

At the end I ran your script again, and it gave me this messages! 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by shirazigs

@shirazigs

Don’t edit kexts manually. If you do so, the script backups them and cannot recover original kexts.

1) Reinstall OS X
2) If the SIP is re-enabled, boot into recovery mode and type csrutil disable
3) Run the script

and take into account the following,

https://github.com/goalque/automate-eGPU/issues/17

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, goalque said:

@shirazigs

Don’t edit kexts manually. If you do so, the script backups them and cannot recover original kexts.

1) Reinstall OS X
3) Run the script

Thanks It did work! My monitor works, my cart is work. I need to download Cuda and fix the resolution  of iMac.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, goalque said:

@shirazigs

1) Reinstall OS X
3) Run the script

Thanks! It did work! My monitors work, my GPU works very good !!!!

I downloaded the last version of Cuda through this link:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html

CUDA 7.5.26 driver for MAC

And the resolution  of iMac and second monitor was fixed by itself. I'm not sure I think they change after a short sleep.  

Thank you so much guys. I'm so happy know :D 

Also I need to clean my room!!!

2016-04-10 11.12.34.jpg

Edited by shirazigs
  • Thumbs Up 1