[SCRIPT] Automating the installation of eGPU on OS X (inc display output)

euqlaog

It’s just the download path name. The web driver pkg provides latest driver from Nvidia, no matter if you have a Quadro, Kepler or Maxwell architecture GPU. I recommend to press “y”.

GT 740 is Kepler (GK107) so you can try installing the script with -skipdriver option as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, goalque said:

It’s just the download path name. The web driver pkg provides latest driver from Nvidia, no matter if you have a Quadro, Kepler or Maxwell architecture GPU. I recommend to press “y”.

GT 740 is Kepler (GK107) so you can try installing the script with -skipdriver option as well.

I ran the script and I got this: 

No Nvidia web driver detected.
Checking IOPCITunnelCompatible keys...

Missing IOPCITunnelCompatible keys.
Mac board-id not found.
Searching for matching driver...

Cannot parse a NULL or zero-length data

Then I ran the script with -skipdriver and it seemed to work, but when it rebooted, it ran into some sort of issue and had to reboot again before it finished rebooting. And when I check System Information, the GPU doesn’t show up as a GT 740; it shows up as “Nvidia Chip Model”. And when I check the displays tab of About This Mac, it shows both my MacBook’s internal monitor and the external monitor as being driven by the Intel HD 3000. What’s going on here? How do I fix this?

Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 10.58.36 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 11.06.58 AM.jpg

Or do I just need to install drivers from Nvidia’s website?

Edited by jfraser
Clarification

You ran the script without Internet connection, check your connection, uninstall the script, reboot, and run it again. The web driver is recommended as I said, just press "y".

Edited by goalque
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, goalque said:

You ran the script without Internet connection, check your connection, uninstall the script, reboot, and run it again. The web driver is recommended as I said, just press "y".

I was pleasantly surprised to see that you were right. Now my eGPU works! And thanks to my eGPU, I can play StarCraft on High graphics settings (haven’t tested Ultra yet) and the CPU temperature stays around 80˚ instead of 93˚ or 96˚. Though, Minecraft doesn’t seem to benefit as much.

Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 7.47.08 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 7.47.16 PM.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

On January 9, 2016 at 1:55 PM, goalque said:

My eGPU was working yesterday. Today, I re-enabled SIP and now my eGPU isn’t working. Why is this? Is this normal?

Guys, I need your help. I've just run the script and I'm receiving the following error

56937984570e1_ScreenShot2016-01-11at8.39

I've tried every boot sequence imaginable. Seems like its not being discovered by windows 10 when loaded up with boot camp either. I'm going to try and download windows 8.1 overnight but i doubt its going to help if OSX can't find it either.

My set up is below any help you can give is appreciated.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box power via default brick

ASUSGTX 970 Mini

Corsair VS550 w/ paperclip trick 

27 minutes ago, Mr_Fantastic said:

AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box power via default brick

That could be a problem! Try and make a barrel plug that you can conenct to the Corsair PSU! Are you 100% sure that the Corwair PSU starts and provides power to the GPU?

That's what I thought initially. I'm still waiting for my barrel adaptor to arrive so I can make the molex barrel power cable. However powering it via the default brick everything seems to be working fine.

Fans are running and the enclosure is giving off a blue light. The 8 pin PCIE I have plugged into the graphics card and a white light comes one on the 970. I even tested it by removing the cable and turning the enclosure on, which resulted in the white light turning into a red light.

On January 10, 2016 at 6:18 PM, goalque said:

You have to keep SIP disabled to allow unsigned kexts to load.

That’s kind of strange considering that the kext files are simply modified Apple kext files. Or is this because they’ve been modified?

2 hours ago, jfraser said:

That’s kind of strange considering that the kext files are simply modified Apple kext files. Or is this because they’ve been modified?

Modified kexts have an invalid signature and they won’t load when the SIP is turned on.

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Security/Conceptual/System_Integrity_Protection_Guide/KernelExtensions/KernelExtensions.html

@Mr_Fantastic
“Thunderbolt device is connected, but no external GPUs detected” means that you have a power issue, faulty TB cable or faulty eGPU.

I'm enjoying reading this discussion and I'm wondering if this github script will help me at all with my PE4L 2.1b expresscard adapter. I think this is only for thunderbolt? I guess my only option is the DIY setup 1.3 from nando? Very interesting too about having to disable SIP in 10.11. Doesn't that mess with sleep functions?

2 hours ago, esatamod said:

I'm enjoying reading this discussion and I'm wondering if this github script will help me at all with my PE4L 2.1b expresscard adapter. I think this is only for thunderbolt? I guess my only option is the DIY setup 1.3 from nando? Very interesting too about having to disable SIP in 10.11. Doesn't that mess with sleep functions?

This is mainly for OSX not Windows. What is your system?

2 hours ago, esatamod said:

This is mainly for OSX not Windows. What is your system?

On 15 January 2016 at 7:10 AM, brlewis219 said:

I am having trouble connecting my gtx 980 and my mac mini late 2012 

I'm using an akitio tb2 box 

iv run the code and done everything iv read and seen and would love some help :) 

I can provide more information if needed. 

thank you!

What’s your OS X build version and the output of "syslog -B -F '$Time $(Sender): $Message' | grep NVDA" and “kextstat -l  | grep NVDA”?

After OS X 10.10.5 security update (build 14F1021), my Mac mini couldn’t boot. I had to reset NVRAM. No problem with the El Capitan.

What’s your OS X build version and the output of "syslog -B -F '$Time $(Sender): $Message' | grep NVDA" and “kextstat -l  | grep NVDA”?

After OS X 10.10.5 security update (build 14F1021), my Mac mini couldn’t boot. I had to reset NVRAM. No problem with the El Capitan.

the build is 14F1509 and I do not know where to find the output "syslog -B -F '$Time $(Sender): $Message' | grep NVDA" and “kextstat -l  | grep NVDA”? 

i am going to update to el capitan if that should help

@goalque here are those outputs

Ravens-Mac-mini:Desktop ravenpmg$ syslog -B -F '$Time $(Sender): $Message' | grep NVDA

Jan 17 15:44:39 kernel: NVDAStartup: Web

Jan 17 15:44:40 kernel: NVDAGM100HAL loaded and registered

Ravens-Mac-mini:Desktop ravenpmg$ kextstat -l  | grep NVDA

148    2 0xffffff7f831b1000 0x2d7000   0x2d7000   com.nvidia.web.NVDAResmanWeb (10.0.5) <102 91 90 12 7 5 4 3 1>

149    0 0xffffff7f83488000 0x1ff000   0x1ff000   com.nvidia.web.NVDAGM100HalWeb (10.0.5) <148 12 4 3>

Edited by brlewis219

@brlewis219

I can’t verify the current status on Yosemite. I recall something that a 2014 Mac mini was unable to boot after the Yosemite security update 14F1021. Haven’t tried since then. Since you have a bootable system, this is likely something else. What actually doesn't work? Can you run the script with -clpeak option?

If you have modified kexts manually, the script can’t handle that situation. It’s worth to try NVRAM reset and OS X reinstall before updating to El Capitan.

hi!

please forgiven my terrible english

i would ask why i run this script in mac's terminal, always note "Hot-plug the Thunderbolt cable and run the script again."

how can i solve this problem?

thanks!!

Edited by solo_man