[SCRIPT] Automating the installation of eGPU on OS X (inc display output)

euqlaog

post-23907-14495001110887_thumb.png

can't thank you enough goalque. just a simpleton designer in Nashville, TN trying to boost graphics on an old game. you make everyone's lives easier and it's awesome. i try to imagine the kind of person you are that creates this jank in your free time, it's just crazy. anyway, keep being you man. i love ya.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have an early 2011 MBP 15" running an Aikito -> EVGA GTX 750 Ti that is experiencing frequent Kernel panics. I have an upgraded 120W power supply for the Akitio box, so I don't think the issue at hand is hardware based.

I'm using the 346.03.03f02 driver that was automatically downloaded using the 0.9.6 version of the script. Anyone have an idea as to why my system continues to crash about every 1-2 hours?

Here is my Kernel Panic report:

*** Panic Report ***

panic(cpu 6 caller 0xffffff7fa9181b50): NVRM[0/193:0:0]: Read Error 0x00000200: CFG 0xffffffff 0x138010de 0x40100100, BAR0 0xb1000000 0xffffff92408b7000 0x117000a2, D0, P1/2

Backtrace (CPU 6), Frame : Return Address

0xffffff820edfbad0 : 0xffffff80256e5307

0xffffff820edfbb50 : 0xffffff7fa9181b50

0xffffff820edfbc10 : 0xffffff7fa925d553

0xffffff820edfbc70 : 0xffffff7fa950aaa3

0xffffff820edfbd00 : 0xffffff7fa9533941

0xffffff820edfbd40 : 0xffffff7fa93387b2

0xffffff820edfbd60 : 0xffffff7fa9338c20

0xffffff820edfbdb0 : 0xffffff7fa9508793

0xffffff820edfbe20 : 0xffffff7fa928a083

0xffffff820edfbe40 : 0xffffff7fa918818d

0xffffff820edfbef0 : 0xffffff8025cb7536

0xffffff820edfbf40 : 0xffffff8025cb53a1

0xffffff820edfbf80 : 0xffffff8025cb5496

0xffffff820edfbfb0 : 0xffffff80257d15d7

Kernel Extensions in backtrace:

com.nvidia.web.NVDAResmanWeb(10.0.7)[53A7D683-CD5C-3EDD-A58E-5BB7FF28BDE9]@0xffffff7fa911d000->0xffffff7fa93f2fff

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.9)[8E5F549E-0055-3C0E-93F8-E872A048E31B]@0xffffff7fa5f49000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(2.4.1)[814A7F4B-03EF-384A-B205-9840F0594421]@0xffffff7fa6b4d000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(2.4.1)[48AC8EA9-BD3C-3FDC-908D-09850215AA32]@0xffffff7fa6024000

dependency: com.apple.AppleGraphicsDeviceControl(3.11.33b1)[2BA0BB49-9DFD-3851-984F-8816AE3A1964]@0xffffff7fa817d000

com.nvidia.web.NVDAGM100HalWeb(10.0.7)[1C1114D7-6B7D-370C-BDDC-DBFA42222D6A]@0xffffff7fa93f3000->0xffffff7fa95effff

dependency: com.nvidia.web.NVDAResmanWeb(10.0.7)[53A7D683-CD5C-3EDD-A58E-5BB7FF28BDE9]@0xffffff7fa911d000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.9)[8E5F549E-0055-3C0E-93F8-E872A048E31B]@0xffffff7fa5f49000

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Boot args: nvda_drv=1

Mac OS version:

15B42

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 15.0.0: Sat Sep 19 15:53:46 PDT 2015; root:xnu-3247.10.11~1/RELEASE_X86_64

Kernel UUID: AB5FC1B4-12E7-311E-8E6F-9023985D8C1D

Kernel slide: 0x0000000025400000

Kernel text base: 0xffffff8025600000

__HIB text base: 0xffffff8025500000

System model name: MacBookPro8,2 (Mac-94245A3940C91C80)

I have an early 2011 MBP 15" running an Aikito -> EVGA GTX 750 Ti that is experiencing frequent Kernel panics. I have an upgraded 120W power supply for the Akitio box, so I don't think the issue at hand is hardware based.

I'm using the 346.03.03f02 driver that was automatically downloaded using the 0.9.6 version of the script. Anyone have an idea as to why my system continues to crash about every 1-2 hours?

Not a script issue. We’ve seen instability with that GPU (here, here and here).

MBP 15" 2012 dGPU 650 on 10.10.1 works with 346.03.03f02 but MBP's screen keep turn on apple boot screen though external display works fine.

I suppose 10.11.1. Uninstall, run the v0.9.6 and let me know if still the same.

Hi!

Thanks for a great script!

One simple question... does -uninstall option put original kext files back?

Yes.

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing to note, from what I have found, NVIDIA did not include DisplayPort implementation in the original specifications of the Geforce GTX 750 Ti hardware. See "Standard Display Connectors" at GeForce GTX 750 Ti | Specifications | GeForce .

I think pushing 4K resolution via DP on the EVGA cards is problematic because it was not originally intended by NVIDIA and therefore not fully supported by their drivers. I don't know if you are using that connector for 4K output, but I switched to a GTX 970 and the setup has been very stable so far.

Hope that helps,

Pani

So, is the GTX 750 Ti card worth keeping? I'm thinking of returning it, but can't think of a comparable option in that price range that won't take an ATX power supply. Unless I go the Dell DA-2 PSU route. But I don't want to spend a lot more money and the card needs to fit inside of the Akitio box.

Not a script issue. We’ve seen instability with that GPU (here, here and here).

So, is the GTX 750 Ti card worth keeping? I'm thinking of returning it, but can't think of a comparable option in that price range that won't take an ATX power supply. Unless I go the Dell DA-2 PSU route. But I don't want to spend a lot more money and the card needs to fit inside of the Akitio box.

@anilpani also reported earlier that EVGA GTX 750 Ti does not work properly with the AKiTiO for some reason. I own a Gigabyte model with a 6-pin power connector and it was stable with the ATX PSU, so maybe it’s due to the fact that your model counts on only the slot power (electrically x4). The standard is 75W and AKiTiO can handle that:

[Thunder2 PCIe Box] What's the maximum power output through the PCIe slot? | AKiTiO

but GTX 750Ti’s power peaks may exceed 75W without the 6-pin and result in instability. This is my best guess.

@anilpani also reported earlier that EVGA GTX 750 Ti does not work properly with the AKiTiO for some reason. I own a Gigabyte model with a 6-pin power connector and it was stable with the ATX PSU, so maybe it’s due to the fact that your model counts on only the slot power (electrically x4). The standard is 75W and AKiTiO can handle that:

[Thunder2 PCIe Box] What's the maximum power output through the PCIe slot? | AKiTiO

but GTX 750Ti’s power peaks may exceed 75W without the 6-pin and result in instability. This is my best guess.

What about underclocking the card? I really, really don't want to get a larger PSU or a card that requires too much modding of the Akitio enclosure. All I am really using the eGPU for is so I can run dual monitors on an old 2011 15" MBP.

I suppose 10.11.1. Uninstall, run the v0.9.6 and let me know if still the same.

I will do that tonight and report back. Thank you goalque.

edit: You're right. The problem is with 0.9.7 version after uninstall 0.9.7 and install 0.9.6 everything run fine in 10.11.1

• Thumbs Up 1

What about underclocking the card? I really, really don't want to get a larger PSU or a card that requires too much modding of the Akitio enclosure. All I am really using the eGPU for is so I can run dual monitors on an old 2011 15" MBP.

So I returned the 750 Ti and ordered a DA-2 power supply and one of the new EVGA GTX 950 SC cards for not that much more. Just modded the power supply and got it up and running. Works perfectly with no issues for the past hour. No random hang ups.

Someone should probably write up a warning against using the EVGA 750 Ti straight out of the PCIe slot in the Akitio.

Thanks again Goalque for writing the script and making this whole process insanely easy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello all

Just wanted to reflect that I have just tested the script 0.9.7 with a 2012 MacBook Air attached to a netstor thunderbolt 2 300w PSU chasis containing a GTX 970. Had to disable csr to allow the script to work.

Woohoo!!! Awesome feeling seeing the card recognized in the system profile.

Am wondering if you guys can provide some guide to watch out for or what are the things that will potentially cause the csr to be enabled unknowingly? And if I want to update the OS what should I watch out for?

Again thanks for this!!! Can I drop some donation for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello all

Just wanted to reflect that I have just tested the script 0.9.7 with a 2012 MacBook Air attached to a netstor thunderbolt 2 300w PSU chasis containing a GTX 970. Had to disable csr to allow the script to work.

Woohoo!!! Awesome feeling seeing the card recognized in the system profile.

Am wondering if you guys can provide some guide to watch out for or what are the things that will potentially cause the csr to be enabled unknowingly? And if I want to update the OS what should I watch out for?

Again thanks for this!!! Can I drop some donation for this?

Yes, the System Integrity Protection must be disabled in order to run the script. It’s Apple’s security layer and recommended to keep enabled.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204899

Not even “sudo touch” is permitted in the /System directory. Fortunately, the modified kexts will be loaded with signature validation errors even if SIP is re-enabled, and those 3rd party kexts that are signed by NVIDIA can be modified in SIP enabled mode. When I find time, I’ll investigate possibilities for more simplified installation procedure on OS X El Capitan.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes, the System Integrity Protection must be disabled in order to run the script. It’s Apple’s security layer and recommended to keep enabled.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204899

Not even “sudo touch” is permitted in the /System directory. Fortunately, the modified kexts will be loaded with signature validation errors even if SIP is re-enabled, and those 3rd party kexts that are signed by NVIDIA can be modified in SIP enabled mode. When I find time, I’ll investigate possibilities for more simplified installation procedure on OS X El Capitan.

Are there any dangers like bricking the system if I keep the SIP disabled? Will it prevent say OS updates or kernel panics or things like that if it gets re-enabled? Should I then reenable the SIP after I ran the script successfully?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are there any dangers like bricking the system if I keep the SIP disabled? Will it prevent say OS updates or kernel panics or things like that if it gets re-enabled? Should I then reenable the SIP after I ran the script successfully?

The only danger is malicious software if you keep it disabled. It’s your choice if you want to re-enable the SIP after running the script. You can always check the status by typing “csrutil status”. To enable/disable SIP, you must start your Mac from recovery (Command+R).

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi everyone. First of all, thank you for the script Goalque! But maybe i had some problems. I'm not sure of what i've done. I'm a beginner in egpu setup.

I'm using Akitio + GTX970 Gigabyte + 550w PSU with a mid 2014 macbook pro with intel only graphic, no nvidia cards.

This is the steps I've done:

1) Downloaded the script on desktop.

2) Opened the terminal and cmd+v the first line of code. Pressed enter.

3) the same with second line.

4) the same with third line.

5) Terminal asks me a psw but i don't know which psw it's talking about.

6) I repeat the steps and now the terminal doesn't ask a psw, but it tells me that i must connect the thunderbolt cable (i was doing this with the egpu disconnected)

7) I repeat the steps with the egpu connected and turned on.

8) The procedure starts. It finds the nvidia Quadro drivers. I want to avoid the installation of this drivers, 'cause before going on, i wanted to ask information here considering that i have a gtx970, so why the script downloaded the quadro drivers? Anyway I made a mistake and i pressed the comand to go on, so i installed the quadro drivers. Terminal told me that everything was ready and that i can restart. So i restarted the system.

9) Mac restarts and everything seems normal, nothing new. I haven't external monitor connected. I look in the mac info and i find that internal monitor is powered by intel iris.

10) I connected the external monitor and i found that also that was powered by intel iris.

11) I restarted the system and again internal and external monitor was powered by intel iris.

12) I opened davinci resolve 12 and the program says to me that it can't find CUDA. (But when time ago i used davinci only with intel graphic it didn't told me anything about missing cuda, so i thought that now he can see the nvidia card, even if cuda can't be found). I closed davinci.

13)I restarted the system without the egpu and I opened minecraft in window mode on the internal monitor. Pressing F3 i see that the program it's powered by intel iris. Then i restarted the system now with egpu turned on. I opened again minecraft in window mode on the internal monitor. It tells again it's powered by intel but performances are better.

14) I drag the window on the external monitor and now it says that minecraft is powered by GTX970. But now there are some frame-rate problems (game freezing one time every 10-20 seconds). And i also notice that macbook is hot, like when i'm doing a render in video editing software.

15) I try to close minecraft, but it stop working and i had to close it from the mac activity monitor. (It never happened in 5 months when i was using mac without egpu. This is the first time)

16) in the upper bar of the mac i can see that there is the nvidia icon on the right. From there, i opened the nvidia driver manager preferences and i can see that in "ECC", in the fourth slot there is the gtx970 while the other 3 are empty. And in this window, between nvidia web drivers and osx default graphic drivers i can see that is selected the first one: nvidia web drivers)

17) I decided to close everything, turn off the system and ask info here.

What does this situation means? I think I made a lot of mistakes and I'm feeling very stupid lol. What should i do? (And i'm sorry for my bad english)

To be clear, the psw is your Mac OS admin password. If you didn't set one, from what I know it wouldn't work. You must go and set a password for your account.

And for the Quadro Drivers, it is the same driver for all cards.

However, It looks like you have somehow installed the Drivers successfully without entering your password. Which is odd.

For CUDA, Google CUDA for mac and download the latest version for MAC. Many software like Davichi resolve require it to be installed to take advantage of the Nvidia card properly. Mine craft possibly too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok, thank you for the info! Yep, i know that CUDA is necessary for editing software like Davinci or Adobe, so i bought the nvidia card :)

But why in mac informations, under "monitor" i can see that monitor are powered by intel and not by nvidia? Is that normal?

The information under displays tab may be incorrect, especially when you hot-plug the eGPU monitor. Set the external monitor as primary and type “system_profiler SPDisplaysDataType” to see up-to-date graphics/displays. Note that it depends on the app how compatible it is with your eGPU.

I've been having very bad stutter while using my eGPU. I have a late 2013 dMBP/ EVGA 970 SC on El Capitan with 2 1080p external monitors (one is 144hz) on the eGPU. The 0.9.6 installed and everything seems to work fine, but any animation stutters regularly every 2 seconds. Even pen tracking on Notability stutters. Hiding the desktop with full screen apps seems to fix the stutter, but this isn't ideal. The eGPU works perfectly on Windows 10.

I've been having very bad stutter while using my eGPU. I have a late 2013 dMBP/ EVGA 970 SC on El Capitan with 2 1080p external monitors (one is 144hz) on the eGPU. The 0.9.6 installed and everything seems to work fine, but any animation stutters regularly every 2 seconds. Even pen tracking on Notability stutters. Hiding the desktop with full screen apps seems to fix the stutter, but this isn't ideal. The eGPU works perfectly on Windows 10.

Better stick to 60Hz. Nvidia says it’s BETA support for dGPU Macs. I’ve noticed sluggishness especially on the screen edge area. “Displays have separate spaces” setting may help. Apple is making changes in core animation, it will be all Metal graphics.

Hi all,

Just tested my previous na211tb2 with a gtx970 with a 2015 MacBook Air now. Doesn't work.

The script runs fine. But when I plug in the chasis and hit the power button, the MacBook Air just refuses to boot. I unplugged the TB cable and then it boots but then of course no EGPU. I hot plugged in the card but only shows Nvidia generic card..

Anyone knows why it couldn't boot with the chasis attached?

Hi all,

Just tested my previous na211tb2 with a gtx970 with a 2015 MacBook Air now. Doesn't work.

The script runs fine. But when I plug in the chasis and hit the power button, the MacBook Air just refuses to boot. I unplugged the TB cable and then it boots but then of course no EGPU. I hot plugged in the card but only shows Nvidia generic card..

Anyone knows why it couldn't boot with the chasis attached?

You mentioned a 2012 MacBook Air earlier and it worked. Run a command "sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -a" and restart the Mac, that should solve the boot issue with 2015 Macs.