2013 21.5" iMac + GTX980@10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1 [Panty-1986]

Panty-1986

Hello folks,

i have a few question for my imac upgrade. My current set up is a 21,5" iMac late 2013 (see attached picture) and i would like to upgrade my GPU with an GTX 980 or 970 (eGPU).

post-36569-14495000293286_thumb.png

Questions:

1. Is my build possible without problems in Windows 8.1?

2. The iMac 21,5 late 2013 has thunderbolt 1, can i use the GTX 980 100% with this connecting?

3. Can i use my imac screen or do i need to plug a separate monitor to the eGPU?

Thanks for your help and sorry for my bad english...i'm from Germany.

Panty

This thread in the wrong section of the Forum, guess it will be transfered to another section.

Peter Ambr? :D

Yeah I think that should work, maybe not problem free in OSX since a friend has trouble with the eGPU on his iMac getting recognized every boot.

TB1 should be a problem, it will just limit performance a bit. Not sure if 4k gaming is the best with TB1, but I can't tell for sure.

Edit: Also make sure, that the small case can handle such long cards!!!

Not sure how big the impact effect of TB1 is, but a seperate monitor will give you a better performance for sure!

I compared internal and external display performance in Windows and a TB2 MacBook here: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8571-2014-15-macbook-pro-iris-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-%5Bdschijn%5D.html

This is very nice Dschijn, thx for the link. Than i must change my upgrade to an other case for getting more space and a 90° pcie adapter in it. I have already an 1080p monitor from my old setup that have i used with a mac mini.

For a case, i like the silverstone sg13 or the ftz01. The ftz01 has also a 90° pci adapter included.

4k with thunderbolt1 is possible:

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/10088-2012-mac-mini-gtx970%4010gbps-tb1-sonnet-iii-d-win8-1-%5Beoiz%5D.html

Sure 4k is possible (see my Diablo III video), but only with games that are a bit older. The lastest games will not work in highest quality in 4k.

The cases… The problem is, that you will always need a flexible riser cable, because the slot in the AKiTiO will give you no other option.

If the case doesn't have a 90° riser you will also need one, if you don't want to cut open your case in that slot area.

When using a FTZ01 you will only need a flexible riser and don't have to use the 90° one.

BUT riser cables can cause problems and stability issues. Especially cheap powered riser are often not well made.

If you really consider using a riser, buy a high quality one. 3M is offering the best riser on the market. you should a x16 to x16 riser: PCI Express - 3M - Pluggable | Online Catalog | DigiKey Electronics

Maybe a x4 to x16 will work too, can't say.

You also from germany, but i continue in english because maybe someone have the same problem and english is the most speaking languages.

Now i red your build with the RVz01 Case:

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8571-2014-15-macbook-pro-iris-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-%5Bdschijn%5D.html

This is the cheapest and best solution or i must cutting a case and use the slot from the aktio thunder2 for the GPU.

But in your build i only see a simple software installation in the other build i see far more software modifications (step 3 error 12).

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8006-2012-15-macbook-pro-gtx750ti%4010gbps-tb1-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-bios-%5Bkarthik.html

Is the software-process easy with normal nvidia drivers or do i need to mod the drives and other stuff for running in windows? Because when a new nvidia driver release i must modded that version too, or i get the errors.

Why most of the people use a GTX970 is the GTX980 not efficent with thunderbolt 1?

Hmm... i consider strongly that ist this build worth or did i build a full system for 1400€ instead of a egpu build for 1000€.

A GTX 970 is the "best bang for the bucks" = performance/price. Also there are short GTX970 cards that can fit into the AKiTiO, like in my mini build: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/9821-2014-15-macbook-pro-iris-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-%5Bdschijn-2%5D.html#post131966

A GTX980 has to placed into a bend open AKiTiO or into a small case... Without an additional case + SFX PSU the AKiTiO + Dell DA-2 is much cheaper.

Windows was very easy for me, I didn't had any error 12. Just installed the latest Nvidia driver and was good to go. For full optimus support I used this guide: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8558-%5Bguide%5D-macbook-enabling-optimus-internal-lcd-mode.html#post110757

Ok Dschijn, i had read your guides and think about my build. Maybe i go with a small case and a psu, because this parts i can use if i don't like the build and go for a full gaming system.

Thank you for you help! Your projects are great.

Now i have setup my separat monitor on my desk and connected to the imac to get a feel how the build look like.

post-36569-14495000296631_thumb.jpg