[Mod] AMD 6970m voltage mod (*working*)

svl7

True Ichime and have you tried a ramdisk for the browser files and temp folder? you would see browser reaction time increase by double atleast.

I tried that but it didn't seem to help much. I'm starting to think that it could be the ram I use too (only 4gb, which is kinda small considering that I put my computer to sleep and rarely fully shut it down).

• 3 months later...
@svl7

I apologize for bringing this thread back from the dead, but is there any possibility for a pencil mod?

Hahaha, don't worry, epic mods will never be dead :D

It's possible that a pencil mod would work as well, but I'm not at home atm, so it'll take a while until I can check the card for possibilities. Might take a week until I can do this, in case I forget it, don't hesitate to let me know. But I can't promise you that I can figure out something, but I'll take a closer look at the card.

Edit: I currently lent the modded 6970m to someone, so I'll have to look at the 6990m, but if I remember correctly, the VR circuits are identical.

• Thumbs Up 1

Couldn't figure out a pencil mod so far... it might be possible somehow, but without having the schematics of the card I don't think I can figure out something. I took a closer look at the card and tried to follow the conducting path which leads away from the FB pin, but it ends pretty soon (gets to a different level of the PCB) and I really can't tell where it continues....

EDIT: Found a possible pencil mod for the VRAM voltage... at least something. Haven't tested it yet though.

Edited by svl7

I tried that but it didn't seem to help much. I'm starting to think that it could be the ram I use too (only 4gb, which is kinda small considering that I put my computer to sleep and rarely fully shut it down).

[Off topic]

I would say if you use SSD we both know writes are limited and by design the browser uses a lot of cache and small writes often... if you want to have longer life on SSD given way you use your browser and the amount of I/O on your drive I'd make a small ram disk and tell fire fox to use it but make it limited in size who knows 50mb is explorers default maybe 250mb... but it would help SSD life the speed benefit is less important than the amount of SSD writes saved especially that you often leave system on and nothing zeros out from restart etc.

Couldn't figure out a pencil mod so far... it might be possible somehow, but without having the schematics of the card I don't think I can figure out something. I took a closer look at the card and tried to follow the conducting path which leads away from the FB pin, but it ends pretty soon (gets to a different level of the PCB) and I really can't tell where it continues....

EDIT: Found a possible pencil mod for the VRAM voltage... at least something. Haven't tested it yet though.

wow that could be epic. I got 1235 on 5870m vram, 1215 vram on 6970m so imagine a boost to vram volts could bring 1300mhz maybe 1325mhz... Wouldn't want much higher as the heat at 1200 is formidable

@svl7

I apologize for bringing this thread back from the dead, but is there any possibility for a pencil mod?

welcome to Tech Inferno Reaver... Hope you like it here and make it your home for all that is Tech... Here we encourage old topics to be rekindled. I like your screen name is it based off of Soul Reaver?

wow that could be epic. I got 1235 on 5870m vram, 1215 vram on 6970m so imagine a boost to vram volts could bring 1300mhz maybe 1325mhz... Wouldn't want much higher as the heat at 1200 is formidable

Yeah... the heat, lol :D But would be a cool experiment with dice, and no need to solder...

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah... the heat, lol :D But would be a cool experiment with dice, and no need to solder...

when I pasted the vram and even surrounding voltage regulator and anything remotely related under high stress for hours only got 84c on highest clocks I ever used on m18x 6970m so imagine if one takes time to make the heatsink optimally transferring heat from the vram and surrounding components... the dice may not be required if we don't push up over 1300-1325 max... otherwise of course dice ftw... Lol not me though lol never used dice once lolz

the dice may not be required if we don't push up over 1300-1325 max... otherwise of course dice ftw... Lol not me though lol never used dice once lolz

Then it's high time you get some dice and go xtreme! :D :D :D