SSDs - General Discussion Thread

StamatisX

dam that looks sick, i'm prolly about 87600 hrs away from buying one myself, heheh

Yeah, they'll definitely be cheaper and faster in ten years :)

Crazy stuff, but so expensive... look at the price/GB... isn't there a 60GB version or so? For the OS and most important progs?

I've got two 120gb 2.5 drives (vertex 3 + vertex 2), they cost a shit-ton more than that combined. ;)

There are smaller, cheaper versions, but they are much slower. This is effectively 4 x 60gb vertex 3 in RAID 0. A decent controller card and the four drives cost at least that much, then you've got SATA cables going everywhere. Plus I keep running out of space with 120gb.

Good sense may stop me yet, but going on past evidence, that's pretty unlikely. :77:

• Thumbs Up 3

• Founder

I was thinking of removing the optical drive and move my Momentus XT there so I can add an extra X25-E and RAID them. I guess I will have to wait a little bit for that until the 700 series are out so the prices of X25-E drop.

I was just looking at the M17x build pages and noticed alienware is now offering a 500GB Hybrid drive, granted I know it would be better then a plain HDD but less then a SSD, I was planing on getting the 750 and moving that to the second slot and replacing it with a SSD as the main. now that they have the hybrid out I was wondering if the extra 25 would make it worth my money to have that as a main so that I could just by an even larger secondary drive since storage space is something I need lots of. ( I convert all my movies to digital format if the DVD doesn't offer a digital copy) Also any good info on hybrids would be great as I am still learning what all the parts will be in my config for a m17x R3 which took me months to figure out I wanted over the M14x.

I think my wife is going to go crazy between all my talk about alienware and then when my money finally gets in and I get this beast I won't be doing anything but playing on my new hardware for a week.

• Founder

I have the Moments XT 500GB for storage and X25-E for my OS and programs and I doubt I would be able to use my XT as my main drive after being used to the SSD. In terms of performance (especially 4K) any SSD will outperform hybrids. On the other hand, if cost and space is an issue and you can't afford a 500GB SSD as your main drive, then Momentus XT + a big HDD for storage is the way to go.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Founder

So.. i just upgraded my Vertex 3 from firmware 2.06 to 2.15 and went from this :

lpMVh.png

to This :

rJ3tv.png

Noticed the double 4K write speed ?! :)

And this is with a drive almost full vs almost empty drive before (which might explain the drop in sequential/512K/4k QD32 drop).

Read speeds have also improved.

All that is with the default data.

This is with 0xFill :

vWL6q.png

Pretty happy with the results :)

• Thumbs Up 4

• 5 months later...