2014 15" MBP Iris + R9_280X@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1/OSX10.10 [braynshoc

I typed this up earlier... gonna try to remember what i typed :) apparently timed out...

@goalque, Thanks!

I do have a GT720, which is a Kepler card, I threw it in, modified my Mavericks external drive with the usual kext edits, and nvidia drivers.

Booted up with two monitors connected. Voila! worked like a champ...

Before I saw your post last night, I made a stop at Microcenter and picked up a AMD FirePro V4900. This card uses 75W, and is about the same benchmarks as the GT720, so I thought I'd give it a try (has 1 x DVI and 2 x DP). It is based on the Turks chip, has 1GB DDR5 and runs at 800gpu/1000mem.

Threw it in the AKiTiO, modified some kexts for Tunneling, and had to add the deviceID to AMD6000Controller and X3000 kexts. rebooted,

Voila! working under Yosemite. Two monitors (1 DVI 1 DP->DVI).

Wondering about stability I booted into windows, after 2 or 3 reboots, it came right up with dual monitors, no issues.

@Tech Inferno Fan

This is interesting, because since the card only uses 75W, my 120W power brick had no trouble with it. It ran 3DMark11 3 times in a row without any failures. (it is only a PCI 2.0 interface)

No issues from a power perspective and the AkiTiO was stable.

@MVC

Do you think using Clover to inject kexts, or modified vibes, would all me to get the 750Ti working on TB2 mac? I know the mackintosh community uses clover to inject DSDTs, kexts, EFI, etc. Maybe using Clover boot loader on rMBP would allow external 750Ti output under Yosemite.

--BrayNShocK

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes!

This is the one I bought: http://amzn.com/B00LWQ2GS0

I did the tape and power bypass method @Tech Inferno Fan published for the AKiTiO, in order to allow the PCI slot to get more than 25W power.

Also I added C3 and C4 capacitors to improve stability of the power.

Forgot to mention (the benchmarks):

I ran Unique Heaven and thought you all might find this interesting

The Iris Pro gets 973 score, and the FirePro V4900 gets a 988 score... So that makes it basically on par with the Iris Pro, but completely external (less heat).

The V4900 and the GT720 were almost identical scores (didn't save the GT720, forgot to, but it was within 10 points give or take).

@Tech Inferno Fan,

I could create a new thread on AKiTiO/AMD FirePro V4900/OSX 10.10 (only if you want me to)... I realize it's not a super fast card, but would be one for the "red" side. It is like having an external Iris Pro though...

--BrayNShocK