2012 15" MBP GT650M + GTX970@10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10/7/OSX10.10 [bsohn]

Bought a 2012 MacMini and did a dedicated EFI Windows 10 Clean install. Worked pretty flawlessly, turns out Win 10 does not need any additional Set-up or programs to get the eGPU working on this computer (no Error 12). Notes edited into the initial build post.

Removed the Mac Mini information from this thread except for a link to a more detailed implementation guide on the subject at the request of @Tech Inferno Fan to provide a little more detail..

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is this is the Asus card that you said won't fit

Asus GeForce GTX 970 DirectCU Mini Review | bit-tech.net

because of this bit that sticks up above the top of the PCI backplate?

http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2015/01/asus-geforce-gtx-970-directcu-mini-review/970dcm-11b.jpg

Do you have a picture of the Galax card laid out like that to compare?

I can't find the Galax card for sale in the UK :(

• 2 weeks later...
Is this is the Asus card that you said won't fit

Asus GeForce GTX 970 DirectCU Mini Review | bit-tech.net

because of this bit that sticks up above the top of the PCI backplate?

Asus

TkZvCN6l.jpg

Galax

fQoZcrMl.jpg

I can't find the Galax card for sale in the UK :(

EDIT: FOUND ONE!! ORDERED IT!!

Yes that ASUS card wouldn't fit.. The Galax is the same as the KFA2 I believe in europe.

Brion

• 2 months later...

Thanks for your great thread!

I have the same mbp. And looking for building egpu. But have some questions first.

Is there still supported DIY Setup 1.2? And can I purchase this from Tech Inferno Fan?

Now I trying to order Akitio from ebay and notice that sellers mention that akitio does not support graphic cards, want to adviсe with some one =)

Thanks for your great thread!

I have the same mbp. And looking for building egpu. But have some questions first.

Is there still supported DIY Setup 1.2? And can I purchase this from Tech Inferno Fan?

Now I trying to order Akitio from ebay and notice that sellers mention that akitio does not support graphic cards, want to adviсe with some one =)

Yes, Setup 1.20 is now being distributed along with Setup 1.30. Acquistion details are at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-30-previously-setup-1-x.html#post27337

Yes, Setup 1.20 is now being distributed along with Setup 1.30. Acquistion details are at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-30-previously-setup-1-x.html#post27337

Thanks a lot for your prompt replay, I just order akitio from ebay. Could you also tell me if I install Geforse 560, install drivers and buy and install DIY eGPU and after will change me graphic card to Geforce 970, what changes in my system I need to do? I mean install drivers of course for 970, but what about DIY? I need to reinstall it?

Thanks a lot for your prompt replay, I just order akitio from ebay. Could you also tell me if I install Geforse 560, install drivers and buy and install DIY eGPU and after will change me graphic card to Geforce 970, what changes in my system I need to do? I mean install drivers of course for 970, but what about DIY? I need to reinstall it?

There are no changes of a working configuration in Setup 1.20/1.30 required if you change say from a GTX560 to a GTX970 video card.

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2012 15" MBP GT650M + GTX970@10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10/7/OSX10.10 [bsohn]
  • 2 months later...