M17x-R2 New owner.. sort of.

Alex Six

Hi all, i just got an alienware m17x-R2 off the dell out let for an epic price. i used the refund from my m14x and i saved a cool $100 :D

specs are:

Intel i7-920XM

2x 5870's

4gb ram 1333

250Gb HDD ( i have an SSD i will add)

W7 HP

Intel 6300 (2x2)

so to all of those M17x owners what should i do now?

what can/should i do to get the most epic performance out of this beast?

P.S

what are some average OC's? I.e CPU and GPU?

• Founder

@KyleGates welcome to the forum

[MENTION=340]Alex Six[/MENTION] since you have an XM CPU, ThrottleStop will be your best friend. I have mine stable (at least for the tasks I do) at 3.6GHz with TDP/TDC at 98/96 and 5% BIOS OC with 75mV extra and 1.6V for the RAM. Keep in mind though that I have performed a retention mod to my heatsink and I have applied ICD 24.

@Both if you plan to repaste your GPUs and perform a retention mod there as well then you can clock your GPUs like 930+/1220+ (I can go up to 945/1240 without much effort and game without the fans kicking in all the way). If you don't repaste and perform a retention mod you can go probably around 840/1150... but that will depend on ambient temperatures and staff..

ThrottleStop here

Trixx here

Retention Mods here and here

• Thumbs Up 4

^ excellent post.

I have no retention mods yet and have my chip running at 3.5ghz with Shin Etsu X23D with FSB @ 140mhz and RAM @ 1.6v. Throttlestop really unleashes the power(literally :D) of XM CPU's and I have my TDP/TDC set at 95/75 with a max turbo ratio of 25x across all cores.

My GPU's are flashed to 850/1100 @ 1.1v also no retention mods with X23D paste. I can get my gpu up to around 830 with stock volts. I am still waiting for my ICD sample to perform the retention mod to bump up the clocks a bit.

@Alex Six I see you're planning on using an SSD. Our PM55 chipset has issues with 4K read/writes with SSD's. Theres two well known tweaks to optimise SSD performance on this chipset. The first is @StamatisX Intelppm method here which he is using atm and the other which I am using is JJB's power profile tweak which you can find here.

You may also want to also change your OSD icons as the default ones look a bit old. The link is in my sig.

@KyleGates Welcome!

Have fun guys, this is one gorgeous, powerful piece of art ;)

EDIT: you can also upgrade to Xfire 6970M's but its not really needed atm imho.

Edited by Nospheratu
  • Thumbs Up 5

@StamatisX i dont have the balls to do the retention mod lol, but i will use some ICD 24. thanks for your input i really appreciate it.

@Nospheratu HELL YEAH MAN! i saw your OSD icons and knew thats what i was going to do first! i must say bro… they are EPIC!!!!!!

Edited by Alex Six

... but that will depend on ambient temperatures and staff..

..So, if my staff is +5 to GPU cooling I'll get better temps?! SWEET!! Now, what dungeon drops that staff I wonder.........:P

In any case, thx for the sweet guides! Not sure I have the stones to try the retention mod but...we'll see. As far as paste goes, what do you guys recommend. I have always used AC Ceramique buts thats on desktops.

Edited by KyleGates

• Founder
..So, if my staff is +5 to GPU cooling I'll get better temps?! SWEET!! Now, what dungeon drops that staff I wonder.........:P

In any case, thx for the sweet guides! Not sure I have the stones to try the retention mod but...we'll see. As far as paste goes, what do you guys recommend. I have always used AC Ceramique buts thats on desktops.

I recommend ICD 24. Check those out:

Innovation Cooling – Diamond 24 Review | Tech|Inferno

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/913-ic-diamond-24-survey-results.html