2012 Mac Mini + GTX970@10Gbps-TB1 (Sonnet III-D) + Win8.1 [Eoiz]

An eGPU with boot disk built in, so you can plug the Thunderbolt Cable on every pc/mac and play!

eGPU parts

SONNET Echo Express III-D Thunderbolt 2 Desktop Chassisir?t=wm00c-21&l=as2&o=29&a=B00FMJKMJ8

MSI - Scheda video 4 GB GTX 970 Gaming Edition 4G Twin Frozr V Nvidia PCI Expressir?t=wm00c-21&l=as2&o=29&a=B00TPQQ83I

Sonnet Tempo SSDir?t=wm00c-21&l=as2&o=29&a=B0096P62G6

System

2012 Mac Mini

i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz

16GB

Windows 8.1 UEFI

Mid 2011 Macbook Air

i5 1.7Ghz

4GB RAM

Windows 8.1 UEFI

Benchmark results

Mac Mini

3dmark13-FS.gpu=10096 (stock clocks)

3dmark13-FS.gpu=11569 (overclocked)

Macbook Air

3dmark13-FS.gpu=10192 [in youtube video above]

Other benchmarks

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes, as you can see in the tutorial (first video), but I have removed the fans (also very loud).

Actually when I close it I have to do carefully because of the fans holding.

The GPU isn't really heating up, but the internal power supply is.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
As far as I know is the MSI card very wide. Guess that card would collide with the fans.

Exactly, the case barely close with the Gtx 970 in it.

With fans it won't close. But I'm regretting a little bit removing the fans.

Actually I'm planning to add an intake fan to push in some fresh air (actually just to move some air inside the case).

I just need to find a small enough fan that works on 12V (and that need to be silent too. :)

I've done a little tutorial to add Molex connectors at the Sonnet Echo Express III-D case:

Also buyed a GTX 980 TI, just tweaking some more the power supply that's not powering properly the GPU.

Because I don't have the 6+2 pin plugs But that's a good advice!

Here is a new video (I changed GPU).

The sonnet PSU isn't anymore capable of running the GPU, so I will build a dedicated PSU into the thunderbolt case. I just have to wait to shops to re-open.

Well that would be interessting. I am not sure about the heat and cooling of the PSU... Can you power the Sonnet III-D with that PSU?

Edit: Ah ok, since the Sonnet III-D will only need 12V and ground that should be pretty straight forward! :D

The idea of a boot drive in the enclosure is awesome, however I'd been planning on using a USB expansion card in my free slot on the Sonnet, as my MBA is pretty starved for ports.

Any idea if there are any USB/SSD combo expansion cards, i.e. in place of the eSATA ports on the Tempo, several USB ports? My searches revealed no such device, but I was curious if anyone knew of any.

The idea of a boot drive in the enclosure is awesome, however I'd been planning on using a USB expansion card in my free slot on the Sonnet, as my MBA is pretty starved for ports.

Any idea if there are any USB/SSD combo expansion cards, i.e. in place of the eSATA ports on the Tempo, several USB ports? My searches revealed no such device, but I was curious if anyone knew of any.

Just searched "sata pcie usb" and found these (and a bunch of other things):

DeLOCK - Storage controller - USB 3.0 / SATA 6Gb/s - PCIe 2.0 x4 89299 | eBay

7 Ports PC USB3.0 USB 3.0 PCI-E express Karte Card mit 5pin SATA Connector | eBay

But if you want to boot from the case...maybe you'll want to check for a PCIe riser. Actually I have one but it's not really easy what you want to do.

Do you have a thunderbolt case or you're planning to get one?

PS: thanks for the "awesome" :D

Well that would be interessting. I am not sure about the heat and cooling of the PSU... Can you power the Sonnet III-D with that PSU?

Edit: Ah ok, since the Sonnet III-D will only need 12V and ground that should be pretty straight forward! :D

Well, I was thinking to add another PSU for the GPU, but now actually I'm thinking to switch it ��

Maybe I can put another more reliable format size...

Let me tear down it and get some measures :D

thanks guys.

You're welcome! :)