OFFICIAL: M18x Benchmarking Thread

StamatisX

@johnksss

sorry, I made a mistake.

Yestrerday, I checked the new 3D benchmark in window mode, because I would like to see if GPZ-Z is showing something,

but when I bench in fullscreen mode, the stuttering is present if the GPU is overclocked to more than +90 MHz.

Try vantage and see if it does it there.

Hi all. First time poster. Found these forums while doing some research on AW laptops, and just recently I purchased (and have now received) a brand-new M18x-R2 with the following specs: 3940XM / 32 GB ram ddr3 @ 1600 MHz / dual 680m's in SLI / 3 ssd's in raid zero (each is a 256GB SATA 6 Gb/s SSD) / windows 7 x64 ultimate

I'm new to the overclocking world (never done it before) and kind of confused on where to start. The only thing i've done so far, in the stock A09 bios F2-menu, is change from Level 1 to Level 3 in the overclocking advanced options. Seems to have done something? My windows experience index for 'processor' went from 7.7 to a 7.8 after making this change to Level 3.

Are there any other BIOS changes I need to make in addition to Level 3, or did i just successfully over clock my system?

Also, do I need to install the unlocked version of A09 bios instead of the one that came with this laptop, to access additional features?

Does anyone have any m18x r2 bios overclock configs / numbers i could use for my system to maximize the performance yet still keep it safe? can you go higher than level three?

I guess i'm not sure what to do next. I know from reading throughout these forums that you can also get xtu and throttlestop to OC (instead of the bios?), and then there are a whole bunch of bench-marking softwares for performance evaluations (3d mark vantage, etc.).

Apologize for all the newb questions; hopefully one day I'll be able to contribute to this site.. i need a 'm18x-R2 overclocking for dummies' guide lol :P

Hi @ejyoungone , welcome to T|I! You got a really powerful system there... Would be a shame not to overclock it :D

You don't necessarily need the unlocked BIOS, but it gives you access to certain features which are highly useful if you want to overclock your system. [MENTION=119]Mr. Fox[/MENTION], @johnksss, @mw86 and other users have posted some great advice about how to push the XM CPUs and overclocking in general, you're already in the proper thread for most information. Check this post for example for getting a glimpse at some possible bios settings, might help you to get an idea.

I can't give you concrete advice for overclocking the M18x as I don't own a current AW system, but here's some general OC advice: Watch your temperatures, start low and raise the values slowly. Finding the optimal settings really takes time, and also experience.

What's important is that this is the benchmarking thread, while you will find very good advice here, you have to keep in mind that people are pushing there systems to the limit for competitive benchmarking. There's a difference between an overclock which will work perfectly fine for daily use 24/7 and an overclock which is just good for completing a benchmark run.

Benching can be a lot of fun, but in case you're looking for an overclock which you can use on a daily basis then you need to know that you can't expect to reach the values which certain users here managed for benching ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

svl7, ty very much. that's a very good point (whether settings are made for a quick benchmarking O/C or are meant to apply for long-term "kick butt" use). I'll continue to read around these forums & see what I can learn - maybe even talk to some of those users you mentioned with a lot of experiencing in O/C-ing m18x R2's .. thanks for the warm welcome!

I dunno what is going on but in 3dmark11 with the Dell 680m,s i am getting much less of a score than with the Clevo 680m,s with both tests running the same clock speed. @978mhz the Clevos scored 15.7k and the Dell cards only score 15.1k. Don't think there should be that much difference between them OR is that normal? hmmm :S AND the Dell cards won't go any higher than 1058mhz and even at that clock the Clevo,s at 978mhz still win.. LOL Shit cards or something is wrong ???

As this is the benchmark thread... I flashed the default voltage GTX 680m OC bios from SVL7 (and I'm sure it flashed on both cards, did it multiple times, and I see SVL7's nick mentioned in my boot screen), but my core clock still has the +135Mhz limit in both Afterburner and/or EVGA Precision.

Anyone having a clue why (or what I forgot, or maybe it's still locked in the standard voltage OC bios?)?

• 2 weeks later...

I had not done Kitty and Cat the other day, so here's the complete "Feline Suite" - all scores across the board beat my previous best.

[FONT=arial black] [/FONT]

[H]
[/HR]

[FONT=arial black]Catzilla Benchmarks[/FONT]

[/CENTER]
[FONT=arial]Kitty 26939[/FONT] [FONT=arial]Cat - 23413[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Tiger - 14860[/FONT] [FONT=arial]Catzilla - 9003[/FONT]

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm... last post on 03/19... looks like it's time to bump this thread. Here are a couple of new Catzilla records at only 4.5GHz without any AC cooling.

[FONT=arial]Tiger - 15259
[/FONT][/CENTER]
[FONT=arial]Catzilla - 9046
[/FONT][/CENTER]

C'mon guys, let's make those M18x beasts break a sweat, LOL. BENCH!

Hmm... last post on 03/19... looks like it's time to bump this thread. Here are a couple of new Catzilla records at only 4.5GHz without any AC cooling.

[FONT=arial]Tiger - 15259
[/FONT][/CENTER]
[FONT=arial]Catzilla - 9046
[/FONT][/CENTER]

C'mon guys, let's make those M18x beasts break a sweat, LOL. BENCH!

I love what the term "bench" means here, and what it means instead in other places (benchpress).

99C on CPU? Does catzilla run particularly hot or is 1.396V at 4.5GHz just like that? Prime95 hits 90C after a minute for me at 4.3GHz 1.351V. I can't get it any hotter since laptop throttles if over 80C for too long.

Already modded cooling some and about to do a whole lot more (add 8mm heatpipe, make plate more rigid so die pressure is more even instead of pressing much harder on edges of cpu die). Waiting for solder paste to arrive. Would be interesting if I could make a 15" laptop's CPU cooling outperform an m18x 3 pipe cooler. It'd be amazing to get a giant 12mm heatpipe so that the width covers the whole CPU die so that a copper plate + solder is not needed, but enertron will only make one as part of a $300+ order :( As the cooling is now I get an immediate 30C jump when going from idle to ~100W. I'm hoping to reduce that by around 15C.

Update: Ran the kitty test and max CPU temp was 77C with CPU at 4361MHz ([url]http://www.allbenchmark.com/showresult?lp=26540[/url]). Backplate was on. No laptop cooler, just fans forced high and back slightly elevated. Not really a fair comparison though since your CPU was working much harder during the graphics tests to feed the 2nd 680m.

I know I don't have an m18x, but I feel like if other laptop users post here we can get nice comparisons between systems with real data.

Update 2:

Mr. Fox you were throttling quite a bit. I beat you in the cat physics test despite using an SB 40MHz slower. Again I only hit 77C on CPU:

[url]http://www.allbenchmark.com/showresult?lp=26552[/url] 1172 vs 1166

I might have been throttling some, as I was not using any kind of cooling. I agree, it's nice to get a good comparison among systems. Thanks for posting, Brother @Khenglish.

Here are some 4.7GHz and 4.6GHz runs on AC cooling.

[FONT=arial]Kitty 28439 [/FONT] [FONT=arial]Cat - 24996 [/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Tiger - 15441[/FONT] [FONT=arial]Catzilla - 9304[/FONT]
ThrottleStop 32M 6.083 sec

3DMark FireStrike: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2

pOaeYpKl.jpg

^^HWBOT LINK - #1 world record 680M hardware rank (until Brother John fixes that problem for me, LOL); #62 global rank for all dual GPU systems (including desktop)

This is the best I have been able to manage from 3DMark11 under Windows 8. Not bad, but a bit lower than my Windows 7 high score. GPU score is awesome, though. I guess I can live with it, LOL. (Windows 8 still hinders CPU performance a little bit, yet it's not as bad as it originally was.)

3DMark11: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2 score: P15085 3DMarks

oKwWZJ9l.jpg

Tiger - 15564

xgLsyp3l.jpg

I can, but there's really no point in subjecting my system to that kind of stress in gaming. It plays all of my games perfectly fine running stock on GPU and a level 3 or 4.0GHz CPU overclock.

Those last benches pushing my GPUs to their limit. If I go a little bit higher with the GPU overclocking I start seeing snow, lines of dots and dash marks and sparkles in my display, so it would be foolish to try to push things more. I immediately escaped out of some benchmarks last night that might have produced highers scores had I let them run their course... not worth the risk for numbers.

Very nice MrFox! Can you play at those clocks?
I can, but there's really no point in subjecting my system to that kind of stress in gaming. It plays all of my games perfectly fine running stock on GPU and a level 3 or 4.0GHz CPU overclock.
@BlueNasser - Here you go... not quite as crazy high on the overclock, but still pretty great for gaming...

S8WLlfN.jpg

Settings in spoiler...

Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City

Game: Set Default Settings, 1080p, vsync disabled

GPU: 1078/1175

CPU: 4.3GHz

Crysis and Crysis 2

Game: Max Settings, vsync disabled

GPU: 1108/1200

Crysis 3

Game: Very High, SMAA Low (1x), Motion Blur and Lens Flares disabled, vsync disabled

MaLDo mod optimized settings - download here: MaLDo_OnTheFly_Crysis3_v3.rar (117,28 MB) - uploaded.net

GPU: 1058/1100

CPU: 4.4GHz

Metro2033

Sleeping Dogs

Battlefield 3

Game: Battlefield 3Preset: Normal, Ranked: On, Punkbuster: On, Game size: 64, Maps: Caspian Border

Server: games.on.net #01 NSW 24/7 CASPIAN BORDER MOAR TICKETS! - Server Browser - Battlelog / Battlefield 3

Hitman: Absolution

Game: Ultra, MSAA 2x, vsync disabled

Thank you MrFox. im running my 3720qm at 3.98ghz @ 4 cores 24/7 and 7970 at 100+/300+ at stock volts 24/7. Its stable and cool. Do you think running the XM at 4.4ghz or 4.5ghz with everything else at stock including fan profiles possible without overheating? Normal usage and gaming.