OFFICIAL: M18x Benchmarking Thread

StamatisX

1450Mhz MAX core clock on GPUz sensor graphs!!?? Ah, just realised, that's the Intel iGPU reading!

I think I might finally have a use for 32GB of 2133...
Just ordered another 2x8 2133 kit for 32GB so I can take greater advantage of RAMDISK and caching without using up all of my 16GB.

Dang those are some ridiculous scores Mr. Fox, congrats! Could you share your secret or point me in the right direction? That PCMark score is delicious, and those CrystalDiskMark numbers are just unreal.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the compliments. The SSD scores are because I cached my SSD drives using virtual disks in system memory. It's really similar to what Samsung does with the EVO software to get nice benchmark numbers, only a bit more overkill than EVO software. As depicted in the screen shout, you can do exactly the same thing with an ordinary HDD and get benchmark results that match the SSD in all but 4K read tests. You're actually benching the memory rather than the drives.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some comparisons on CPU performance:

4930MX wPrime 32M and 1024M benches @ 4.5GHz

post-119-1449499741618_thumb.jpg

3920XM wPrime 32M and 1024M benches @ 4.5GHz

post-119-14494997416961_thumb.jpg

post-119-14494997417729_thumb.jpg

And, just for fun, my best-ever scores with 2920XM (although clocked higher)

post-119-14494997418883_thumb.jpg

post-119-14494997418492_thumb.jpg

hello mr fox

possible link donwload ThrottleStop 7.00 ?

Sure, Brother Riri-Fifi. You can always find the links in the awesome unclewebb's signature. (It seems @unclewebb does not use a posting signature here at T|I, but I copied and pasted it from his NBR signature below.)

I don't know any way to disable spread spectrum on an Alienware 18. In fact, I don't even see an option for that with the M18xR2 A10 unlocked BIOS. If you know of a secret trick to do that on either machine, I am all ears. Bumping base clock enough to get it to register as 5.0GHz (so far) has not worked. It freezes on me when I try it. This also requires over 1.520V which is a lot, especially for a Haswell. But, 4.9GHz is my max on the 3920XM.

It looks like Haswell plays nice with these old CPU-bound benchmarks. Will have to try 3DMark06 and 3DMark05 as well... no GPU overclocking needed, so the power handling problem the 18 has doesn't come into play.

TKey7gZ.jpg

@Mr.Fox I disabled spread spectrum on my P150EM through a ME FW mod, but this broke changing BCLK (would crash when raising, and no change when lowering it).

I could do the same to your ME FW, but beware that the results are unpredictable.

Also Mr. Fox I see your 2920xm scores are with the R1 motherboard. Does the R2 not support sandy bridge, or did you just never try it in the R2?

Thank you for the compliments. The SSD scores are because I cached my SSD drives using virtual disks in system memory. It's really similar to what Samsung does with the EVO software to get nice benchmark numbers, only a bit more overkill than EVO software. As depicted in the screen shout, you can do exactly the same thing with an ordinary HDD and get benchmark results that match the SSD in all but 4K read tests. You're actually benching the memory rather than the drives.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some comparisons on CPU performance:

4930MX wPrime 32M and 1024M benches @ 4.5GHz

[ATTACH]11283[/ATTACH]

3920XM wPrime 32M and 1024M benches @ 4.5GHz

[ATTACH]11284[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11285[/ATTACH]

And, just for fun, my best-ever scores with 2920XM (although clocked higher)

[ATTACH]11286[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]11287[/ATTACH]

Mr fox I have 24gb of ram on my m18x r2 .

Which ramdisk software to use ..like what settings to do in have to enable to set it up .

Though i also have a msata 128gb which I plan to upgrade to 256gb for windows 8 .

Sent from my V5 using Tapatalk

[MENTION=119]Mr. Fox[/MENTION], cheers for the video (I know it wasn't directed at me), but I wanted to try it. Good benchmark results on Crystal Disk Mark, but didn't notice any real world benefits in my usage pattern. I just tried the Cache program rather than the RAM disk program, and experimented with 2 and 4GB caches on both the SSD operating system drive and my HDD data drive. A low cache hit rate on both the caches, operating system hit rate was 10% through the day, which was the highest figure. I'm just gonna let Windows manage the memory now, it caches previously accessed data anyway, and doesn't make the cached RAM unavailable to program use too (less data loss issues too). I get the impression these 3rd party cache programs can't work miracles, ultimately the speed of the storage system is always gonna be dictated by the speed of your boot drive & storage drives. Interesting to try though - thanks.

Where you will notice a difference is if a benchmark creates temp files and accesses them during the benchmark run. One example of where it made a measurable difference in my testing was PCMark 7.

I'm using Imdisk for years now, setting the user temp folder (not system temp) to ramdisk improves performance Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Media Encoder, AE, project files (3 ramdisks) Sandboxie container folder, portable browsers, caching is also pretty good if the lifespan of the SSD is a concern, which I'm not.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm using Imdisk for years now, setting the user temp folder (not system temp) to ramdisk improves performance Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Media Encoder, AE, project files (3 ramdisks) Sandboxie container folder, portable browsers, caching is also pretty good if the lifespan of the SSD is a concern, which I'm not.

Ah yes, I don't use such programs, I'm a more typical user probably (internet, office, gaming), so probably no use for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Where are you guys seeing the need to be able to adjust the voltage of the 780m's in the AW 18 with 4930mx. 3DMark scores seems to get inconstant after only +60 GPU and +230 Mem. So far 8922 score on a verified driver.

Where are you guys seeing the need to be able to adjust the voltage of the 780m's in the AW 18 with 4930mx. 3DMark scores seems to get inconstant after only +60 GPU and +230 Mem. So far 8922 score on a verified driver.

Yes, you'll want one of these!:

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks.html